• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parliament to consider changes to "O Canada"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the woman's history. Chivalrous men don't malign women in public, so today I'll be particularly quiet.

The only thing I have to add to this is that it would appear that some folks have WAAAAAAY too much time on their hands.

MM

What annoys me is when a former member will spout off their rank so they can get some extra credibility in the press. Which usually results in average Joe Blo thinking that, if this person who used to serve if the CF thinks this, then all CF members must think this.

Who is this woman and why are we suddenly hearing about her now?

She's a nurse who retired from the CF almost 30 years ago. If you were to ask her, she would tell you that as a result of her fine work in NDHQ  women are permitted to fly helicopters....

dang - should have kept my promise and not read this thread.  :crybaby:

From the article:

As far as Robinson is concerned, that pride is both false and rooted in ignorance. “I take great exception to people who don’t want wording changes (to the anthem),” said the former deputy director of women personnel for the armed forces. “They are a disgrace to this country. That anthem has to be changed.”

Wow.  So I'm a disgrace to this country because I don't agree with her point of view?  ::)

And then:

Ritchie, like Robinson, argues that to dismiss concerns about the inclusiveness of the lyrics in the national anthem is to ignore not only their symbolic significance but also their psychological resonance. As it is, they said, O Canada effectively perpetuates attitudes that once denied women the right to vote, run for office, own property or be treated as equals in the workplace. “Until the anthem is changed, women will not be thought of as fully equal participants in the life of Canada,” said Ritchie, who spent her career as a lawyer in the federal justice department and was the first woman appointed as a federal Queen’s Counsel.

I'm pretty sure changing the lyrics in the national anthem won't change a nation's beliefs.  Women will always be seen as different until such time as parents stop placing gender specific colours on babies, buying girls Barbie dolls and boys matchbox cars and women stop putting false expectations on themselves that they have to work twice as hard as men to get half the recognition.

mikeninercharlie said:
She's a nurse who retired from the CF almost 30 years ago. If you were to ask her, she would tell you that as a result of her fine work in NDHQ  women are permitted to fly helicopters....

I remember her......and not fondly.

She gives nurses a bad name.

In the same vein, why do we still have religious connotations wtih "God keep our land..."?

I guess it comes back to my previous comment of having too much time on their hands, too much hate in their hearts, and nowhere constructive to use their energies.  Of course, this is what we get/got paid to keep sacred - their right to think and say what they want, even if it is a little mentally challenged...

MM

Journeyman said:
My thoughts exactly

Mine too and I don't even know who she is.  Before my time.  ;)

Strike said:
buying girls Barbie dolls and boys matchbox cars

Should have had my parents.  I had Matchbox cars and Tonka trucks as a kid.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
Should have had my parents.  I had Matchbox cars and Tonka trucks as a kid.  :nod:

I had My Little Ponie and my neighbour had G.I. Joes.  We would have cavalry battles.  ;D

Strike said:
I had My Little Ponie and my neighbour had G.I. Joes.  We would have cavalry battles.  ;D

:rofl:

I have to thank you profusely for this. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time.

PMedMoe said:

And I have indicated to my daughter that my grandson and  granddaughter will be at least trying to shoot a bow and arrow. Plus Stella has a Forward Operating Base named after her in my back yard.

PMedMoe said:
Strike said:

I had a bag of dead batteries with a note attached saying 'Toy Not Included'

I had 55 acres, about 40 of it woods.  Best toy ever for any kid.

You lucky bastards.  If I didn't wake up with a woody, I had nothing to play with all day!

Strike said:
I'm pretty sure changing the lyrics in the national anthem won't change a nation's beliefs.  Women will always be seen as different until such time as parents stop placing gender specific colours on babies, buying girls Barbie dolls and boys matchbox cars and women stop putting false expectations on themselves that they have to work twice as hard as men to get half the recognition.

Now this is funny/ironic http://sistersinarms.ca/film-subjects/shirley-robinson-ret-lieutenant-colonel/

"I found that I could probably convince some of the men better than I could convince some of the women. That may sound strange but women are their (own) worst enemies."

Guess who said that? None other than this Shirley Robinson character.

I don't know what she did or didn't do in her career for equality, but bitching and moaning about this certainly isn't helping her cause.

recceguy said:
I had a bag of dead batteries with a note attached saying 'Toy Not Included'
:rofl:

NOW I know what to get my kids for Christmas!  (As a gag gift, of course, but I would seriously do this!!!)

Strike said:

Put your boy in a pink outfit and send him to school and see what happens. 

In spite of the Thought Police trying to tell us otherwise, boys and girls are different, and generally go for and do different things. 

What the fuck that has to do with women not getting equal pay for equal work has gone totally over my head.  And of course it's so not a generalisation that all women expect to work twice as hard to get have the recognition.

::)

(Edited to correct spelling error)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back