• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parent: "New, long-term defence policy reflects the reality of Canada today"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the Vets Ombudsman on the new def policy:
As most of you know, the Government of Canada released its long-term defence policy on June 7. Strong, Secure, Engaged – A new defence policy for Canada commits the Government to new investments in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) over a 20 year period.

What I believe is really important for CAF serving members, Reservists, Veterans and their families is that this time, it’s not just about new investments in equipment and material. This time it’s about people, too! 

Building on the work of the Joint Transition Project that I began with the DND/CF Ombudsman Gary Walbourne in August 2014, the new long-term defence policy commits to creating a new CAF Transition Group to provide support to all members to seamlessly transition to post-military life.  It is to start from the moment they join the forces, right through to when they take off their uniform and transition from the military to civilian life.

A new 1,200 personnel Canadian Armed Forces Transition Group will provide support to all transitioning members.  It will include experts in human resources and personnel administration and will have dedicated positions for ill and injured members preparing to return to duty or transition out of the CAF. Importantly, it is to offer special care and attention to those who are ill or injured, including those with psychological or critical stress injuries.  Also, it is to ensure that all Veterans Affairs Canada benefits and services are in place before a member transitions to their post-military life, which was also a recommendation of our Joint Transition Project mentioned previously.

Another initiative that is important is the implementation of a joint National Defence and Veterans’ Affairs Suicide Prevention Strategy that hires additional mental health professionals and implements a joint framework focused on preventing suicide across the entire military and Veteran community.

In addition, by applying gender-based analysis to all defence activities, the policy should eventually lead to a culture and demographic shift in the organization.

The new long-term defence policy intends to create a CAF that better reflects the diversity and inclusiveness of Canadian society today and that is encouraging. I hope you read it. I will be monitoring its implementation.

Guy

Nothing about improving the speed of delivery.  Have been at Step 1 for going on 7 months now.

jollyjacktar said:
Nothing about improving the speed of delivery.  Have been at Step 1 for going on 7 months now.

Silly boy. That's why it's called a long term policy :)

Talked to a VAC rep today. Apparently, they are currently on June of 2016 for adjudication. I am on 9 month and 24 days.

While I feel for you, and share your experience by the way, adjudication is strictly a VAC issue and is not part of this program.

Adjudication has been screwed for years (my first experience being in 2001) and it isn't looking any better now. Just received a favourable finding from a VRAB review (letter May 5, 2017, review hearing last week of March), only for VAC to tell me that adjudication will take another 4-6 months (letter July 8, 2017)....once all the relevant data has been gathered.

While this new spin on IPSC's sounds good, since it was severely underfunded, understaffed, and without direction since the start, I will have to reserve judgement.

Back