• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
No, only army cadets have the opportunity to take para as cadets. Air cadets can receive glider pilot and power pilot wings.

As I recall, aside from all the prerequisites being related to the Army Cadet programme, the insurance carried by the Air Cadet League does not cover parachuting.

The vast majority of the cadets I ever encountered when I was in Para Coy were cadets who had taken the course up to the Mock Tower part, and their wings were different.  That part seemed to be relatively common, but the actual full course in Trenton including the real exits from the Herc would be great as a cadet if you could pull it off because it was so much rarer.

Petamocto said:
The vast majority of the cadets I ever encountered when I was in Para Coy were cadets who had taken the course up to the Mock Tower part, and their wings were different.  That part seemed to be relatively common, but the actual full course in Trenton including the real exits from the Herc would be great as a cadet if you could pull it off because it was so much rarer.

Army Cadets who complete the training jump from Hercs get their wings. If they go into the PRes or Regs, the qualification carries over and they have to do a re-qualifying (not 100% sure of the term) jump(s) to keep them.

There is an annual course run in Trenton by the Jump School shadowed by CIC Officers.

There are a few I know that kept them and are currently serving.

I can get in touch with a good friend of mine to get further details as he has been there for the better part of 7 years.

Regards

Ever since my General Training course of the summer of 2010, Ive seen the Army Cadets doing the course and seen how hardcore they were. Ever since then I wanted to be able to do this course and proudly wear the wings on my air cadet uniform.  :cdnsalute:. I asked my CO if I am able to join the course in my later years and he said there is a small chance of me getting in.

My Questions are: What are the chances of me getting into this Course?
                                  What camp courses do I need to take, so that I meet the requirements equivalent to the army cadets?
                                  How would I physically train for this course?
                                  If you have done this course, What was it like to jump out of the plane?

That's All Thank you.

The para course is solely an army cadet course. Much like the powered and glider flying courses in air cadets is solely for cadets of that element.

FutureInfantryOficer said:
Ive seen the Para Corps doing the course and seen how hardcore they were.

::)

There is no Para Corps or Airborne Cadet units.. same units may wear the Maroon beret but they are not an Airborne unit and should not be considered Paratroopers by any means.  Also what are you comparing this cadet unit to in order to say they are hardcore?

As for wanting to know basic info about the course, PT, etc search the forums as there is a few threads on the topic.

Just remuster into army cadets and perhaps you can qualify to to attend this course, there is no way any air or sea cadet would be allowed on this course.

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
"...the qualification carries over and they have to do a re-qualifying (not 100% sure of the term) jump(s) to keep them."

You have to do a short "Refresher" if you haven't jumped within 72 days of your last jump. Rules we were told as of July/August 2009 at CFLAWC, CFB Trenton.

62RHLI said:
You have to do a short "Refresher" if you haven't jumped within 72 days of your last jump. Rules we were told as of July/August 2009 at CFLAWC, CFB Trenton.
Refresher training is required only to jump again, after a break of 72 days. The discussion in progress (almost a year ago) was whether any sort of re-certification was required to merely continue wearing the wings; there isn't -- you earned 'em, you keep 'em.

FutureInfantryOfficer

This is your only WARNING:

Read more, mature enough to understand the role and mandate of the Canadian Forces, and POST less.  You have shown yourself to be too immature at this time to be posting trivial topics on this site.  You also seem to be suffering from memory loss, as you are asking the same questions over and over again, as seen with your most recent post (New Topic) above. 

FutureInfantryOfficer said:
Should air cadets be allowed to participate in the Basic Parachutist Course? Why or why not?

How many glider pilot positions are the Air Cadets willing to offer up in trade? The point is that each is a limited resource, opening it the para course to Air Cadets doesn't automatically mean more courses or positions.

FutureInfantryOfficer said:
Should air cadets be allowed to participate in the Basic Parachutist Course? Why or why not?
The answer I got, many years ago (correct or not), was that Air Cadet training is insured by the Air Cadet League, and that insurance does not cover any kind of parachuting.

Journeyman said:
Refresher training is required only to jump again, after a break of 72 days. The discussion in progress (almost a year ago) was whether any sort of re-certification was required to merely continue wearing the wings; there isn't -- you earned 'em, you keep 'em.

My apologies!  :facepalm:

Michael O'Leary said:
How many glider pilot positions are the Air Cadets willing to offer up in trade? The point is that each is a limited resource, opening it the para course to Air Cadets doesn't automatically mean more courses or positions.
This is a pretty valid point here.

Also something for your consideration is that if you remain an air cadet, then remuster later as a senior cadet into an army cadet corps hoping to get on the the basic para course, you'll most likely find a serious level of angst directed towards you from your army cadet piers within whatever corps you decide to join. The basic para course is about as prestigious as it can get within the army cadet program, it has very limited space available for candidates that qualify. Truthfully speaking, the premise of you trying to pull it off in that fashion is unlikely and would probably be met with some resistance from the staff at that corps. Imagine this, a senior army cadet in your town shows up at your squadron in sept declaring he/she there to get glider wings over some other cadets that have been in your corps for 3 or 4 years. My advice would be to join an army cadet corps asap after you complete your summer training this year with air cadets.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the requirements for para. And can you get denied for eye sight even if you wear glasses ??? thanks :) :)

About 33 circular feet of rip-stop nylon, a servicable aircraft, and gravity.....ya gotta have gravity.

You didn't even pretend to search, did you?

And yes, you can get denied for eyesight - minimum visual category for basic para is V3.

MM

I heard from my officers at camp they may be getting rid of the para course for Cadets, she told me this after I asked for the basic requirements and then she told me she was really busy.

Back