• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paper ship models

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
From the latest Maple Leaf:

Paper models of the Canadian Navy’s maritime coastal defence vessel (MCDV) can now be downloaded by visiting www.navy.gc.ca. Two versions of the model are offered, one simple and one more challenging.

Recently, the combination of the Internet and the low cost of colour inkjet printers have created a renaissance in the interest and practicality of paper models.

“As far as I can tell, we are the first Navy to offer 3-D paper models of this type,” says Brian Underwood, digital communications manager at Navy PA in Ottawa.

Paper ship modeling was popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, but waned in popularity as competition came from mass-produced wooden model kits and metal toys. In the 1940s, wartime shortages of wood, metal and labour led to a resurgence in the production of paper models, particularly warships, airplanes and tanks. In the post-war years, competition from plastic and wood models once again pushed paper models into near-obscurity, although paper models remained popular in former Eastern Bloc countries.

Efforts are also under way to bring paper models of Halifax-class frigates to the Navy’s Web site.

Here is the actual link for the site.  Come on, you know you want to!  And before you ask, no I haven't....yet.  :D

kingston_easy_photo-s_e.jpg

kingston_sample_e.jpg

Oh god airmich.....what am I going to do now down at NB Jetty! Go HMCS Kingston... you can do it!

Looks like someone discovered the secret behind MIL Davie's shipbuilding technique.  ;)

TN2IC said:
That`s about the same size.... scale 1:1 ...

:threat:

Oh wait, I don't have to defend them anymore.  So I'll change that to  :rofl:

Nice models Night.  You'll have to post pics once you get her afloat and sailing!

Back to the drawing board?  Are you going to try again?

My god! I hope they don't sail HMCS Kingston anything soon. I am sure it will end up in the press. Did they test it first before they fully built? I can't believe my eyes!

Night Black said:
Lastly, if you have any requests that you think might be doable for this model, post them and I'll see if I can do them. (Supplies might be my only problem.)

Does it have to be the Kingston?!?!  A few other suggestions for it: flags, life rafts, .50 cals, guard rails, RHIB, zodiac.  I'm sure I can think of more if you really want :D

Funny thing, it's my hometown too!  And yes, I have some ideas, but don't want to take over your model too much.  If it was mine, I would be tempted to put on my avatars, the current one (Budgie) and the one I used when I was navymich (Theo tugboat).  But I am inclined to agree with your suggestion for the Red Baron.  It suits the ship's name.

As for the nickname, I am leaning towards "shadfly". ;D  But I'm sure there are some great ideas out there from the crowd as well, so let's hear 'em folks!

Are we talking Woodstock, NB?  As a fellow New Brunswicker, how about fiddlehead?  ;)

Back