• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid parking DND property

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comments were directed to the issue of volunteers paying for parking at the place they volunteer.  If you somehow equate reservists as being volunteers thats not my issue.

c_canuk said:
I'm curious and interested why the treasury board and the CRA seem to think anything you get at work that you could potentially get somewhere else for a fee, is automatically a taxible benifit.

Are we going to start having to pay gym memberships when we do unit PT?

Why is it that everything has to be at market rate, except our pay? Yes I know in theory PLD is supposed to off set that somewhat but the mandated yearly updates aren't being done and the rates are way off regardless.

Why does it seem that provincial income tax rates are not figured into the PLD calculation?

First point,
Removed by moderator

Look at the back log of items they have to deal with,  Parking fees should of been at the bottom of the pile, their priorities are out of wack.

The money that should be adjusted and paid out, doesnt help us in April of 2015, 16, or wherever.
Back pay doesnt help or appease anyone.

Interesting article in todays Chronicle Herald out of Halifax.  Pay close attention to the highlighted areas.  Arent CAF members not allowed to do this ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military staff wage war on new parking fees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HMC Dockyard rang with frustration at lunchtime Monday as about 200 sailors and other employees marched to protest impending parking fees.

They moved up Cornwallis and Barrington streets to try to garner support for their cause from the people for whom they are serving, said the local president for the Union of National Defence Employees.

CFB Halifax will become the first in Canada to charge military and civilian staff for parking spots, Craig Smith said, something that will be enforced at HMC Dockyard, Stadacona, Windsor-Willow Park, Royal Artillery Park, Dartmouth's Dockyard Annex and at the Halifax Armoury.

"You're charging them to serve their own country," said the president of Local 80406. "We're going to charge you to come and park, send you to sea - in harm's way - and then you'll come back to a big parking bill."

The new parking fees, slated to be in place by Sept. 1, come out of the fact that the Treasury Board and Canada Revenue Agency consider parking to be a taxable benefit.

Smith argues that the base should let the employees deal with the issue on their income taxes.

"It's a money grab. It's basically a three per cent wage increase that we lose," he said of fees that will range between $25 and $110 a month for a parking spot.

But a parking pass may not guarantee employees a space. A base spokesman said last month that there are plans to oversell the 4,503 spots spread between those six sites by about 1,000 passes.

A CFB Halifax spokesman said in July that there are 7,000 to 8,000 people working at the base, but that with people away on leave, many parking spots could be left empty. Some people will have reserved spaces and will pay more for it, said information from the base.

There are some places where Defence Department employees do pay for parking, but those are offices where the government leases the property, Smith said. In this case, however, the Crown owns the land.

"We struggled to find another employer, period, that makes profit by charging its own employees to park."

He said he thinks it's an edict from Ottawa and one that could spread to military bases across the country.

I don't know how much notice will have been taken outside of the Herald and no doubt command of the protests yesterday here.  I also don't expect that there will any sympathy whatsoever from the general public to the outrage felt by those affected by the new parking rules in September.  I suspect that any feelings from the general public will be negative as they might see the protests as the yowlings of spoiled children.

If anything, it is the anti abortion protests of the past couple of days that is generating discussion and outrage in some quarters amongst the general public judging by the coverage by the MSM here in Halifax.

Halifax Tar said:
"We struggled to find another employer, period, that makes profit by charging its own employees to park."

Clearly didn't look hard enough. I work at a hospital where all staff pay to park. Profits last year from parking exceed $8M for the 5 hospitals in the region.

ModlrMike said:
Clearly didn't look hard enough. I work at a hospital where all staff pay to park. Profits last year from parking exceed $8M for the 5 hospitals in the region.

Yup,...just spent my day cleaning out the most disgusting pile of garbage and old furniture from the garage of the town house my daughter is now renting close to York University. The reason that was a priority??.........because she already is assured of renting the space out for at least $80 a month because the Uni. charges it's employers $120 a month to park there.

ModlrMike said:

Yeah, I paid the school board to park when I taught in Manitoba.  Two different school boards, actually. 

I don't have an issue paying to park. 

I do have an issue paying for parking, and not being certain that I'll have a spot to park in.

I also have an issue (I have for a long time) with the '24 hour' rule.  If you come in for a duty watch, you will, most certainly, break this 24 hour rule.  Why make a rule that you *KNOW* will be broken?  How about 36 hours?  Why not 48? 

The other issue I see is the 'long term' parking problem.  There is no-where I can park my car, walk to my ship, and go to sea for a week....or for 2 days.

NavyShooter said:

I do have an issue paying for parking, and not being certain that I'll have a spot to park in.

I also have an issue (I have for a long time) with the '24 hour' rule.  If you come in for a duty watch, you will, most certainly, break this 24 hour rule.  Why make a rule that you *KNOW* will be broken?  How about 36 hours?  Why not 48? 

The other issue I see is the 'long term' parking problem.  There is no-where I can park my car, walk to my ship, and go to sea for a week....or for 2 days.

Solution, as already in places that already charge for parking, is to issue discounted Monthly Parking Passes.

Their solution is, if you're on a long deployment for example is to turn your pass in and not pay for it.  However, there's no guarantee you'll be able to get your pass back when you come home as they might have "sold" it to another person.  This was especially emphasized for the reserved space personnel.  Like Naval Shooter, I too wouldn't mind paying so much for a parking spot as long as it was mine to park in regardless of how long I wanted to park there. 

Stood in line today for 2 hrs to get my pass, only two commissionaires to look after all the new parking passes. Still had to get my service verified even though I hold a valid pass. Apparently they are going to oversell the parking by a certain amount, in order to get max money.

Ok,.......this does sound like it's getting stupid.

EDIT:  Well unless you get to 'work' from home for the rest of the day when the lot is full,.............with valid parking pass of course. :D

NavyShooter said:

Brad I think you can still park in NAD long term, for $25 a month. I can also see the procedure to temp stop your pass while you are away to be intentionally cumbersome as well.

Chief Stoker said:
Stood in line today for 2 hrs to get my pass, only two commissionaires to look after all the new parking passes. Still had to get my service verified even though I hold a valid pass. Apparently they are going to oversell the parking by a certain amount, in order to get max money.

At 1330 hrs today the line was about 30 people long, out in the hot sun, with 2 Cmres taking applications.  I went to the next office for ID then a few other places at the dockyard and at 1500 hrs the line was even longer.  Makes me glad I'm posted.  At least where I'm going in Ottawa I can park free and walk a block to where I have to work.  The lines here are only going to get longer.

And people's tempers will get proportionally shorter with the cluster f'd process and money grab.

Chief Stoker said:
Brad I think you can still park in NAD long term, for $25 a month. I can also see the procedure to temp stop your pass while you are away to be intentionally cumbersome as well.

But...NAD is no longer manned 24/7....it's only open during working hours.

So, if I go to sea for a month, park my car over there while I'm gone, and happen to come home on the weekend, I cannot get in to pick up my car.  Until Monday. 

See the problem with that? 

NS

NavyShooter said:
But...NAD is no longer manned 24/7....it's only open during working hours.

So, if I go to sea for a month, park my car over there while I'm gone, and happen to come home on the weekend, I cannot get in to pick up my car.  Until Monday. 

See the problem with that? 

NS

Yep, didn't realize it wasn't manned 24 hrs a day.

Kinda off topic, but how is the Navy going to handle the fact that 200 an unknown number of its sailors marched in an unauthorized protest contrary to the NDA?

I asked the staff at school in Stad about that very topic this morning.  It's bad reporting by the MSM, all the protestors were PS. 

jollyjacktar said:
I asked the staff at school in Stad about that very topic this morning.  It's bad reporting by the MSM, all the protestors were PS.

Bad reporting? More like an outright lie......

Of course it's all Harper's fault......right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back