• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Thanks DAA, but in the email I received with info about CFLRS and what to bring to BMQ, it mentions casual dress pants and casual dress shirts.

I'm just starting week 3 at St Jean and I'm pretty sure half of the guys in my platoon were wearing sweatpants every day before we got our kit. We had people in fancy dress shirts too. As for me, the airline lost my luggage so I was in the same jeans and a T-shirt for 4 days before it arrived. I kept thinking the staff would say something, at least about the sweatpants but they never did. It probably depends on your staff though.
My advice: like the others have said, dress nicely, but dress COMFORTABLY. Make sure your shoes won't hurt after walking quickly and standing all day for 3-6 days straight.

Hey all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Before I begin let me say that I've looked over most of the FAQ's for this kind of stuff before posting for the most part but forgive me if I blatantly missed something. Just some final questions as I pack for my BMQ on Oct 20th

- Civilian clothing, I've got 3 pairs of business casual pants likewise for sweaters and collared shits but would it be wise to bring multiple pairs of gym shorts, shits & athletic socks or will that stuff be provided relatively quickly? In addition I know that jeans are a no-go but is it still acceptable to pack a pair for weekends after week 5?

-Advil/ Tylenol - I have "travel" sized packets of advil I was thinking of bringing. The question is that kind of stuff prohibited and or will be taken away upon inspection?

-Final question, is there anything anyone recommends to NOT bring with you but rather buy at the cannex? I've seen a few posts that suggested that the Iron and or starch are best purchased on site.

Thanks again for any feedback, apologies if these seem like novice questions - just trying to make sure everything is good to go.

I'm heading to BMQ 03 November..

I've heard from others that PT socks are not issued (this could be wrong though so hopefully someone who knows for sure will confirm) I'm packing 6 pairs though and if they aren't used then they don't take up much room to store. I'd rather be safe than sorry! You will have to pack your clothes you intend to wear on the weekends off, so pack what you'd normally wear along with the clothes you want to wear in the first few days. As for athletic shirts and shorts it states on the joining instructions how many to bring of each. 2 t-shirts 1 shorts.

I literally asked my husband (he's already in the CF) about the advil and tylenol because I wanted to bring some as well, he wasn't sure but said that they may confiscate it because technically if you are having any type of pain your to report it etc. (hopefully it is allowed though)

If you are near a Canex you could purchase your Iron there prior to going if your worried about it, but it is an item that isn't required to be exclusively purchased at the canex, the startch however is.

Hope this helps a little, but hopefully someone see's this thread with exact answers for you (us).    :)

evmaclennan said:
collared shits

Because they will impress the ladies so much more than run-of-the-mill uncollared shits...

Keep in mind...you will have to carry everything you bring, up to your floor in the Mega.  Unless things have changed, elevators are off limits to recruits.  Example, I wouldn't bring my own iron, but that's me.  I'm going to guess they have them there.  ;)

Ref Advil, Tylenol, etc.  It isn't a great idea in one way to self-medicate.  If you do it to 'push thru' some event physically, you might go from being "hurting" (sore and in need of a day or two to heal some) to "hurt" (on medical restrictions, which could mean removed from trg until you heal and on PAT/removed from your platoon).

If you bring it, and are told to 'hand it over' when your staff is conducting your in-routine and pretend you don't have any, if you get caught with it later be prepared to pay the piper.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page

Whatever the orders are, follow them.  Deciding 'what orders I have to/don't have to follow' isn't part of the goal of BMQ. 

Good luck on BMQ.

I am currently starting grad week at St. Jean you can wear jeans(no holes or tears), I was allowed my Advil (may depend on instructors) bring socks for pt, and I just bought a $10 iron at Walmart that worked just fine. Bear in mind you could be carrying your crap up 12 floors though but if that's too hard for you good luck on kit issue day! 

...(may depend on instructors)...

My experiences...

I'm entering week 7 and yes, items confiscated can vary slightly from platoon to platoon. They'll search your luggage and will at some point explain things regarding medication and how to access it if you don't have it/have it taken away. (I can't remember when we got our spiel about this.)  I don't believe anyone in our platoon had their Advil/Tylenol confiscated and no one was trying to sneak it in.

Pack lightly. As lightly as possible. You'll probably end up buying stuff while you're here anyway. Stick to the list(s) precisely, for item quantities marked with 'X' don't bring many. 2-3 max. (Regarding the list your RC gave you, there are things on it that you may not use...at least the was the case for us.)

Don't bring starch. They want you to use what's issued at the Canex, so everyone has the same item. If you want to bring an iron, go ahead, but there will probably be enough in your platoon for sharing.

DON'T bring a ton of civvies. You just don't need them. I have 2 outfits. They've been plenty. Socks and underwear? I have a week's worth, and I've been more than fine.

Yes, enjoy the stairs. You'll figure out quickly that even though it only says 4th floor, you need to add two flights to that...you'll understand why when you arrive. ;)

BeyondTheNow said:
My experiences...

I'm entering week 7 and yes, items confiscated can vary slightly from platoon to platoon. They'll search your luggage and will at some point explain things regarding medication and how to access it if you don't have it/have it taken away. (I can't remember when we got our spiel about this.)  I don't believe anyone in our platoon had their Advil/Tylenol confiscated and no one was trying to sneak it in.

Pack lightly. As lightly as possible. You'll probably end up buying stuff while you're here anyway. Stick to the list(s) precisely, for item quantities marked with 'X' don't bring many. 2-3 max. (Regarding the list your RC gave you, there are things on it that you may not use...at least the was the case for us.)

Don't bring starch. They want you to use what's issued at the Canex, so everyone has the same item. If you want to bring an iron, go ahead, but there will probably be enough in your platoon for sharing.

DON'T bring a ton of civvies. You just don't need them. I have 2 outfits. They've been plenty. Socks and underwear? I have a week's worth, and I've been more than fine.

Yes, enjoy the stairs. You'll figure out quickly that even though it only says 4th floor, you need to add two flights to that...you'll understand why when you arrive. ;)

You can either buy and Iron prior to going, or you can buy it on your inital Canex run. Regardless you're gonna need an Iron for kit layout on inspection. Same goes for an Alarm clock. Unless things have radically changed and they no longer preach uniformity at CFLRS.  :2c:

BadgerTrapper said:
You can either buy and Iron prior to going, or you can buy it on your inital Canex run. Regardless you're gonna need an Iron for kit layout on inspection. Same goes for an Alarm clock. Unless things have radically changed and they no longer preach uniformity at CFLRS.  :2c:

Oh Absolutely, but not everyone has an iron out of my platoon of 49 currently. There seems to be plenty to go around, so for those who didn't bring one (for whatever reason) it isn't a stressing point. Our Sr Instr also said that to us our first day in one of our orientation classes--they don't want to see 50 irons. Share. A few per section will do. (Could just be our pl though. As I mentioned, just my experience with our platoon.)

The iron is part of the inspection layout so just bring one. I would recommend foam shaving cream over gel. Doesn't leak out during inspection.

BeyondTheNow said:
Oh Absolutely, but not everyone has an iron out of my platoon of 49 currently. There seems to be plenty to go around, so for those who didn't bring one (for whatever reason) it isn't a stressing point. Our Sr Instr also said that to us our first day in one of our orientation classes--they don't want to see 50 irons. Share. A few per section will do. (Could just be our pl though. As I mentioned, just my experience with our platoon.)

Nice to see some of our platoon here.

I packed a bunch of Walmart clothes, ended up tearing them up as rags and having clothing sent to me.  So in the end the extra clothes were put to use.  Bring rub a535. Helps a bit with the soreness as you get used to the lifestyle.

Bring what's on the kit list.  Your cadre of staff will get you sorted out on what they expect to see for your inspection layout.  As I recall, we all had an iron, that was to be in our barrack box.  Different courses may have different layouts, and expectations.  If you find you don't need it, you can store it with your civie gear in lock-up.

I would say the thing you need to bring the most of are socks, because when you spend your time in the field, it's nice being able to change socks several times a day, it will help keep your feet dry and healthy. Of course you have plenty of time during your first weekend out to go do a Walmart run, so don't worry too much about bringing them right away.

Question about the socks... does it have to be mid calf socks or it can be low socks?

You will be issued socks. Those are the ones you should be wearing during BMQ.
PT socks can be whatever you find comfortable.

Thanks! What about underwear? Do they have to be black for the inspections?

No. Any colour will do, although be prepared for some comments if the leopard print ones are on display. Staff are usually more concerned with whether or not the underwear is CLEAN and folded to the proper size (index card).
AFter BMQ you may get issued boxers, depepnding on where you go. I know Borden issued them to those that asked.

dortun said:
Question about the socks... does it have to be mid calf socks or it can be low socks?

dortun said:
Thanks! What about underwear? Do they have to be black for the inspections?

I'd say that as long as they are all the same colour, style shouldn't matter.  Go with the mid-calf sport socks, this way your ankles are protected from chaffing.

Most of these details are spelled out in the Joining Instructions.  (Annex B)

.. spend forever trying to find a pack of briefs/boxers/underwear that had the same colour...? Literally I had to rip 2-3 packs open and switch out some to finally get 6 matching ones...

Back