• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Overstretched SAS calls up part-time troops for Afghanistan

The problem in the reserves right now is not in funding but in the commitment put out by the troops.
Light Infantry Soldier ... your explanation of the problems of within the CA Reserves is extremely simplistic. Spend some time with them and sensitize yourself with thier situation and maybe you will understand them. :mg:

I‘ll agree with Gunner on this one... I expect lesser equipment, most of the time, but the fact is, there is a difference between lesser equipment, and crap equipment.. when an HLVW goes to london from hamilton, for repairs in june, and we dont see it again until febuary of the next year that is no good. remember, Ruck marches are good for an infanteer, but what good are lots of ruck marches for a Trucker or a RAD-OP? we need the proper equipment to do our trade, when all out trucks are VOR‘ed there isnt alot for us to do. thankfully we get into the FATS room now and again, and we do practice our fieldcraft on a semi regular basis, but in the end, although we are soldiers first and our trade second, what good is having a trade when you dont have the equipment to perform it.. and along with that, when the troops keep having crappy Ex after crappy Ex, they stop showing up because its not worth it anymore. now granted thats more of a leadership problem then an equipment problem, it is also a result of less money to the CF. with cutbacks across the board units cant even afford to train the way they used to back in the days long before you or I. Its a very complex problem that requires effort from all sides to solve. I just try and go in there as often as i can and do the best job i can every time i wear that uniform. and i figure if every member of the CF can do that, then we could probabbly solve alot of the problems we have. not all of them, but definatly a few.

I‘m not going to get into specifics because there are to many to cover in a single post. What I‘m talking anout is commitment to the forces. Every Armed Forces has its share of crap times but its important to remember why you joined in the first place. Everyone‘s got theres, service to the country, always wanted to join the army, wanted kick some ***, etc. I‘ve seen too many troops dissalusioned to the fact that we don‘t have the same size military as the Americans. When I was in the Reserves there were too many occassions where there‘d be less then a platoon on ex, I‘d had a few occassions when I was the only troop in the leadership company to show up on ex. As a corporal I listened to a lot of belly acheing about how we don‘t have enough money so troops hid behind that as an excsuse for thier lack of attendance. I can see how trades that are dependant on equipment they don‘t have is a huge logistical problem but what can I say. We come from one of the greatest country in the world, we have a proud military tradition that good men died to make in the worst places in the worst conditions like Dieppe, Hong Cong, Ypres, Kapyong to name a few. Came off a bit strong but I‘m proud to wear the uniform and prouder still to know that I serve in a Army that accomplished so much in the last wars and conflicts and I‘m driven to hold up that reputation when my time comes. So what I‘m really saying is things are rocky now but they‘ll get better hey things can always get worse right. Come on now, were Canadians and we kick ***. :cdn:

I just came back from an ex with a UK ENGR REGT TA Volunteers.

Brit TA makes many reg force units look penniless.

Thats not the regs fault - and regs and res should be very clear who is to blame - its the government - they give the jobs out and the money flows down via the reg chain of command.

So long story short - get a bunch of stamps and and start writing in to your MP - and your brother, and your sister and say its NOT GOOD ENOUGH to have what we have available.

Your life may depend on it. :)

Originally posted by Cpl Thompson:
[QB] I‘ll agree with Gunner on this one... I expect lesser equipment, most of the time, but the fact is, there is a difference between lesser equipment, and crap equipment.. ....

Back