• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Over There...new Series

Cpl.Banks

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anybody seen the add for the new series that is supposed to start on the history channel called Over there. It's a series about the war in Iraq following some G.I's and their families at home.(fictional of course) Check it out:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8646096/
UBIQUE!!!

I'm agin' it. The families of those brave troops are worried enough without SEEING what their children/husbands/fathers/mothers/wives/brothers/sisters are going through.

paracowboy said:
I'm agin' it. The families of those brave troops are worried enough without SEEING what their children/husbands/fathers/mothers/wives/brothers/sisters are going through.

Agreed. I pictured what my spouse would think if I was in the crap and a program like this was on. Talk about ramping up the worry level!

Be okay if there's just home front issues in the show, but not if you'll see things that go boom.

x-grunt said:
Agreed. I pictured what my spouse would think if I was in the crap and a program like this was on. Talk about ramping up the worry level!

Be okay if there's just home front issues in the show, but not if you'll see things that go boom.

Maybe we should cancel the 6 o'clock news then........ ::)

I'm going to have to agree with aesop here.

There is already an abundance of gory and very real footage / pictures of the war in Iraq, both in the newspapers and on television. I would highly doubt many families are not familiar with the current dangers and perils in the area.

Gotta disagree with you both aesop/baloo.
News is one thing, and that's worrisome to be sure. But compare a news story to a TV drama and your into a whole different level of involvement. A 3 minute news piece is (theoretically) impartial reporting, but your supposed to identify emotionally with an hour long TV drama's characters and issues.

Like I said, it's home issues, fine, there's some identification of the characters there. But frontline? Yeah, let the spouse and kids see, week after week for a whole hour just how many ways daddy can die. I say the news is enough, thanks.

I know the option to not watch is always there, but I know my wife would probably watch to get some idea what I'd be going through.

I feel that it's not in the best interests of the troops or their families. That is how I see everything. I can't dissociate myself from being a troop, and I see the world in terms of "Good for my troops/Bad for my troops". It will add un-needed stress. Stress that is there from news reports, to be sure, but this is ADDITIONAL, and not required. I consider it abhorrent, and repulsive.
I'm sure it will do very well, and that many people will become quite wealthy(ier) from it.

Why don't we reserve judgement on the impact (good or bad) it will have until it's actually aired?

After 3 years, I doubt there are very many Americans, particularly those with loved-ones overseas, who are not acutely aware of the dangers over there. It's not news to them.

Back