• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our own forum!

Inch

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
BZ Mike!

It nearly brought a tear to my eye when upon arriving home after 3 hours in the simulator, I log onto my favourite web site and I'll be jiggered, there's an Air Force forum complete with the Air Command motto "Sic Itur Ad Astra" which for those that don't know, translates to "Such is the pathway to the stars"

Inch said:
BZ Mike!

It nearly brought a tear to my eye when upon arriving home after 3 hours in the simulator, I log onto my favourite web site and I'll be jiggered, there's an Air Force forum complete with the Air Command motto "Sic Itur Ad Astra" which for those that don't know, translates to "Such is the pathway to the stars"

I'm new to the AF but my hatbadge says "per ardua ad astra".....trough adversity, the stars

Am i missing something ?

From Amo, Amas, Amat and More; How to Use Latin to Your Own Advantage and to the Astonishment of Others, by Eugene Ehrlich:

sic itur ad astra

seek IH-tuur ahd AH-strah

this is the path to immortality
Literally: "thus one goes to the stars"

per ardua ad astra

pehr AHR-doo-ah ahd AH-strah

through difficulty to the stars

Its from when you air force types pass out after one beer (.5%) and just see stars :D

aesop081 said:
I'm new to the AF but my hatbadge says "per ardua ad astra".....trough adversity, the stars

Am i missing something ?

Per Ardua Ad Astra was the RCAF's motto and is still the motto found on your hat badge. Sic Itur Ad Astra was the motto of the RCAF's predecessor, the CAF. I'm not exactly sure when Air Command "readopted" the motto, but to my knowledge, we use them both now. Maybe Sam69 could provide a little more insight.

M.O.
The Air Force website has the meaning that I typed, I'm beginning to think that no one knows latin at all!
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/traddocs/tradk_e.asp

Woot - now we can have our own little place without having to worry about picking up after all those Navy types.

Time to develop a secret handshake with Sam as our Godfather.

Can I be part of this club ? please please *throws a tantrum*?! My uniform is blue too  8) 8)

Don't be bashing the Navy types now. It was a Navy type that asked for the new forum to be made.

Navalsnpr said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Navy / Air Force / Joint forums separated.

You could probably leave the main forum as is and put sub-boards in like it is currently in the Equipment forum.

It would make it easier for the Navy and Air Force posts to be browsed.

All joking aside, I thought it would be better this way.

Enjoy.

I'm just amazed that Mike could get crayons to work on the net.........hehehe...have fun.

FSgt_mandal said:
Can I be part of this club ? please please *throws a tantrum*?! My uniform is blue too   8) 8)

I dunno...... it takes a lot of hard work and a certain level of coolness that can't be taught, green flight suits do help, and no, your mom telling you you're cool doesn't cut it.  ;D

Inch said:
I dunno...... it takes a lot of hard work and a certain level of coolness that can't be taught, green flight suits do help, and no, your mom telling you you're cool doesn't cut it.  ;D

Keep at it with that attitude and the army guys are going to get serious in the "how smart do you have to be to be an air force pilot?" thread.  ;)

Cool!   Thanks for the fancy new digs.   Now we can have discussions about all of the thousands of ways that helicopters are WAY cooler than seiz.., uhm,   fixed wing aircraft in a much more dignifed fashion.   :)

Can't wait to start the thread about why Navigators get more chicks than pilots, too...   ;)

Cheers.

SeaKingTacco said:
Cool!   Thanks for the fancy new digs.   Now we can have discussions about all of the thousands of ways that helicopters are WAY cooler than seiz.., uhm,   fixed wing aircraft in a much more dignifed fashion.   :)

Can't wait to start the thread about why Navigators get more chicks than pilots, too...   ;)

Cheers.

Yeah, us backenders have to stick together........

Inch said:
I dunno...... it takes a lot of hard work and a certain level of coolness that can't be taught, green flight suits do help, and no, your mom telling you you're cool doesn't cut it.   ;D
but my mommy does tell me I'm cool, o well, my daddy does too  ;D u never sed anything about him  :dontpanic: :p

Fsgt_mandal,

Do you have your glider or power wings ?

We might consider your application if you do......

Michael OLeary said:
Keep at it with that attitude and the army guys are going to get serious in the "how smart do you have to be to be an air force pilot?" thread. ;)
Yup! Its even more fun when you were in the infantry, see those cool pilots!  Hell they are! How many times, even when you are blackout and hear that you get airlifted... its a moral booster! See the flight engineer giving the go...getting in...looking at the pilots...oh man good memories! I remember my first flight in gryphon like it was yesterday! That helo with a little playboy mark on the door everything was cool...the helo trip... the flight engineer...the PILOTS!!  >:D

sic itur ad astra

seek IH-tuur ahd AH-strah

this is the path to immortality
Literally: "thus one goes to the stars"

per ardua ad astra

pehr AHR-doo-ah ahd AH-strah

through difficulty to the stars

I believe it translates other ways as well.  As the way the RCAF has adopted it, the offical meaning that i have is "Through Adversity To The Stars"
Now difficulty and adversity can mean the same thing, depending on context of the sentence.

And yes, thanks Mike for our own forum! i no longer have to shamed about blue/purple and black tartan pajammas  ;D

(making sure the port decanter doesn't touch the table instead of dragging it)

AIRFORCE!

cheers

PV

Oh, and my little saying avatar deal at the end of my name was their before this thread....if you were wondering  ;D

PV

aesop081 said:
Yeah, us backenders have to stick together........

LOL - man, sometimes you guys make it too easy for us to make fun... 

"Backenders"... I bet!

Zoomie said:
LOL - man, sometimes you guys make it too easy for us to make fun...  

"Backenders"... I bet!

Thanks zoomie......i knew i could count on you !!! Would GIB attract less gratuitous sarcasm ?

Back