• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa, what is there to do in a week long visit?

NSDreamer

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
  Good evening all,

So I arrive in the city, driving, after a long trip from Halifax NS.  I'm here for a week and staying downtown just off of Laurier. What is there to do in this the Nation's Capital? I eagerly await the advice of seasoned pro's of the city!

-NSDreamer

It's NHL All-Star weekend in Ottawa - http://www.ottawacitizenallstar.com/.  Check the All-Star activities section of that page...

The Rideau Canal is currently closed, but hopefully will re-open before the weekend.

There's a Winter Celebration at Rideau Hall on Saturday afternoon, which includes an All-Star Week event.  It's free and open to the public.

The Market is pretty cool for bars and restaurants - stay away from Barbarella's (been a few shootings there lately), although it's not actually in the market.

The War Museum is well worth a visit (although the sign doesn't say it, veterans and CF members get in free).  The Museum of Civilization is cool too.

The Royal Canadian Mint can be really cool.  It's next to the National Gallery, which is also pretty cool.

Touring the Parliament Buildings (free) is worthwhile as well.

And so the To Do list grows. I've heard something about skating on a Canal as well, so I have to add that to the list too! It will hopefully be a busy week!

NSDreamer said:
And so the To Do list grows. I've heard something about skating on a Canal as well, so I have to add that to the list too! It will hopefully be a busy week!

Careful about the canal. Temp has been up and it has been closed already this week.

CDN Aviator said:
Careful about the canal. Temp has been up and it has been closed already this week.

Being closed doesn't stop some idiots.  There were folks skating in the rain yesterday!

Pusser said:

Being closed doesn't stop some idiots.  There were folks skating in the rain yesterday!

Idiots are there for the entertainment (and financial burden) of others.

That being said, I have a week so I'm hoping it freezes up enough to go! I'd hate to have brought my skates all this way for nothing!

Ottawa....isn't that where all the wuss weather stays for the winter?  :)

NSDreamer said:
Idiots are there for the entertainment (and financial burden) of others.

That being said, I have a week so I'm hoping it freezes up enough to go! I'd hate to have brought my skates all this way for nothing!

Forecast doesn't call for very low temps........-7 tomorrow, -2 thursday, +1 Friday, -1 Saturday and -3 Sunday

Pusser said:
There's a Winter Celebration at Rideau Hall on Saturday afternoon, which includes an All-Star Week event.  It's free and open to the public.

The Market is pretty cool for bars and restaurants - stay away from Barbarella's (been a few shootings there lately), although it's not actually in the market.

The War Museum is well worth a visit (although the sign doesn't say it, veterans and CF members get in free).  The Museum of Civilization is cool too.

The Royal Canadian Mint can be really cool.  It's next to the National Gallery, which is also pretty cool.

Touring the Parliament Buildings (free) is worthwhile as well.
Don't forget the Aviation Museum,the RCMP stables, Hull, Peace tower.

Didn't they kick the Aviation museum out of their space, or was that Toronto?

Didn't they kick the Aviation museum out of their space, or was that Toronto?

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110920/canadian-air-space-museum-eviction-notice-110920/20110920?hub=TorontoNewHome

Silly but random question NS, but you didnt happen to have cap this summer in Sunny Aldershot?

NSDreamer said:

The full length of the canal reopened this morning for skating.

Eat some Beaver Tail......

Honestly - if you go skating on the canal, you have to get a Beaver Tail.

Go to the Ottawa Youth Hostel - the old city jail - supposed to be the most haunted place in Canada.

National War Memorial is a must.

Rookie Green said:
ByWard Market is a good place to go, always something to do there. Plenty of nightlife in Hull/Gatineau too.

I remember the last time I was in Ottawa...

Well then you will remember the types of nearly underage kids there are in Hull bars...that being said my suggestion was going to be Barefaxxx  (not much classier I admit)  :-*

CEEBEE501 said:
Silly but random question NS, but you didnt happen to have cap this summer in Sunny Aldershot?

Haha I very well may have done that!

End of week Summary:

I went to both the Museum of Civilization and the War Museum
Had a tour of parlaiment, peace tower was closed...bummer.
Checked out half a dozen pubs and a few niche restaurants!
Went to a party in an Art Gallery! (Free open bar, boo. yeah.)
Got to meet up with some family members I haven't seen in a while.
Had a time.

Thank you Ottawa, my flight leaves in four hours, I'll be back!

Back