• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ottawa Recruits?

Determined

Inactive
Reaction score
I am curious if there are many Ottawa Recruits on the board.
I would love to find some like minded people in the same process, and mind set, to maybe shoot the crap but most of all physically train together, do some activities that are required as a new recruit.
I am starting to rock climb next week. Bouldering.
I plan to Sky Dive in the spring.
I am also hoping to learn how to Portage.
I do swim.
I run 3x a week. 2x of those are interval training.
I do some kettlebell classes
I strength train 3x, once a week at the YMCA
I do a spin class
Starting some Yoga this month as well and might get back into boxing one night a week.
If any of that interests you and you're in the area drop me a message. I'd love to hear from you, and your story of getting recruited. Who knows, maybe we might end up doing BMQ together.

Cheers

I live in Ottawa and have my interview on Jan. 15th

Lemme know if you wanna get a coffee sometime and we can share experiences.

by the way, go to Coyote's Rock Club for bouldering. It's a great time and a good place.

Hey! :)
Good to hear from you.
I've been to coyote once. There is a meet up group that goes regularly. Going this Friday with them.
I will be going to vertical reality cis it's closer to my place though even though I hear they are terrible for customer service.
I'd love to get coffee sometime. Congrats on your interview.
Let's private message our digits and make a time :)
Off to do to some yoga now

Hey that's awesome! Congrats! Love to hear how the process has been for you.
Are you from Ottawa?
Very exciting!
Ready?

hey determined,
ottawa here
4 weekends left until finished reserve bmq, completing it at connaught, are you going in for regf or res?

Hey JRH,

That's awesome about four weekends until the end of your BMQ.
I am applying for regular forces. Doing some medical red tape stuff now, and will reapply in April.
How's the BMQ weekends? What ya doing?

Its pretty fun, Im not sure in respects to Reg F bmq, but I know we cover the same material, just have to learn it in a shorter amount of time, everything from drill, deportment and dress, to rank structure, winter warfare, CBRN training, basic marksmanship principles, first aid etc. What we learn from bmq we get to get more in depth on weekend exs with home unit and on training nights. After schooling I want to CT to Inf Officer in the Regs. Its hard going from your 9-5 job during the week to have to remember what you were taught the previous 2 weeks. A great stepping stone though to see if its something you want to take up in the future.

Good luck with your testing

Hey guys!

Another Ottawa recruit in the process! Just finished my application process off with the TSD and my interview for Infantry Officer. Now just waiting for Feb. 27th to hear I've been selected *fingers crossed*.

Great idea with looking for other recruits in the area. It'd be cool to hear some other stories and where you guys are headed. I have a crazy work schedule right now but am always up for a rock climbing session if I can find the time!

-Nick

Hey JRH! Thanks for sharing what you're up too. What do the drills consist of exactly? What do you think is the toughest part about BMQ?
Have you heard about them changing the CF Expres Test?

Hey Nick! Good to hear from someone else in the Ottawa area. I went rock climbing a few times in the last few weeks. I am taking this week off as to let my body recover from numerous things but going back next week if you're interested. There's a meetup.com group that attends Coyote every Thursday night. Good Luck for February! You're in like flynn..Just keep thinking that and believing it.

Hey Determined,

I'm from ottawa and am currently in the midst of the application process, I have my interview on monday.

I'm also an experienced canoe tripper, and would be more than willing to give you some tips on portaging, although I'm not sure how useful it would be in a modern military.

I'm also just starting to box seriously, and am on a similar training regimen.

Drop me a message if you'd like to talk.

Yours,
Colin

Hi Colin :)
Great to hear from you.
Good luck on your interview. Look forward to hearing how it went for you.
I know myself, and a few others I have spoke too, we come out feeling so many things but a common thing is excited to have completed another step.
I am going to drop you a private message.
I giggled about the portaging and how useful with the modern military. Was it useful in the older days?
I am just an outdoor enthusiast. Or slowly becoming one.
Definitely anything you want to share. I'm in :)
Awesome about the boxing. Talk more in
Private about it all. Love talking about training regimes.
Cheers

Good day.
I have been out of school for sometime now and was wondering what type of math you sugest I refresh my head with so the cfat doesnt kick my butt. thanks in advance. :)

eaglehawkdown said:
Good day.
I have been out of school for sometime now and was wondering what type of math you sugest I refresh my head with so the cfat doesnt kick my butt. thanks in advance. :)

It's not so much math, at least nothing after maybe grade 9, the big thing is the wonderfully vague beast called problem solving. Make sure you're comfortable with some simple algebra, making two equations and setting themselves equal to each other, things like that. The biggest thing that almost tripped me up was having to do all of the simple calculations in my head. you don't get a calculator, and you need to be able to do the big 4 operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) on paper the old fashion way, especially long division.

I'd be happy to give you some more pointers, drop me a DM. Determined is also really helpful.

Hi EagleHawkDown,

Give this a look.
http://www.jntuk.edu.in/jobs/upload/study/718844422.pdf
A good friend recommended it. I am about to embark on studying again to retake the CFAT.
I will be looking at this resource and going over vocabulary and spatial for review.
Definitely what Colin said about being able to make the equation out of the word problem and doing long division fast.
Cheers.

Good afternoon Ottawa recruits!

I am in the process of my application that was sent in Nov '12, since i have been informed that it is in the "scheduling cell" and that my trades choices are open but not a priority for the recruiting center at this time. Anybody else in the same boat?

Not I. I am about to reapply in April after the new trades are posted.
What trade choices did you have?

Welcome to the waiting game!

I'm in Pembroke but my recruiting centre is Ottawa. :) Just got the email today with my security forms so I just finished filling those out and will be making the drive to Ottawa to drop them off tomorrow! Then it's a waiting game for all of the testing.. it's been less than a month from online application to now.

I applied as a med tech.

Back