• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OTTAWA - Military Grave Photo Request

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
I have received a request from a lady overseas asking if I had a certain Ottawa grave photo among my files.  I do not have it, but was wondering if someone on the forums might have time to take a photo in Ottawa.

The information provided is:

* Ottawa Crematorium Memorial
* Group Captain Alexander SHEKELTON CBE R.A.F. died 1-3-41

The Veterans' Affairs Canada site gives the following location info for the Ottawa Cremation Memorial

The Ottawa Cremation Memorial is located in the Beechwood Cemetery at 280 Beechwood Avenue in Vanier, Ontario, in the east end of the city.

Michael O'Leary said:
* Ottawa Crematorium Memorial
* Group Captain Alexander SHEKELTON CBE R.A.F. died 1-3-41

Toronto Star 1 Mar 1941:
Group Captain A. SHEKLETON ( not SHEKELTON ) age 49 of the RAF C.O. of Norman Rogers Airport in Kingston, ON "died today from a heart attack while being rushed to hospital."
He came to Canada with a group of British airmen in Dec 1940. He was a CBE and held the DSO.
Described as one of the "great aviators" of the Great War and and a "pillar of the RFC." He joined the RFC in 1912 and remained in the RAF after WW1.
Interestingly, I was unable to locate him in a Commonwealth War Graves search!?
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1923/1923%20-%200375.html

mariomike said:
He was reported to have died of natural causes. Nonetheless, he was on Active Service during wartime.
Would that not qualify as a war grave?

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2687420

Commonwealth War Graves Commission - Casualty Details

Name: SHEKLETON, ALEXANDER
Initials: A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
Date of Death: 01/03/1941
Awards: C B E
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Cemetery: OTTAWA CREMATION MEMORIAL

With the weather improving, any chance that someone in the Ottawa area may be able to visit Beechwood and take this photo?

Thanks

Mike

I will be in Ottawa, on leave from Haiti, next week and will try to get this photo.
Clive

Back