• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OT Supply tech to combat arms

BushCap

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been with supply for going on three years now. Its been a good go, very awesome job and much better now that I'm in regforce actually doing my job. But I've always felt like I need to try other things. My first choice wasn't even supply, it was arty. During my time in supply I've always loved time out in the field, getting to use actual tactics during DPs, fending off attacks in hides and and general fieldcraft; its definitely something I want more involvement with. But I dont know if I should be wanting an outright change or if I should first look into working as supply alongside some of these trades and getting into combat storesman jobs.

If I were to do a OT I'm currently thinking either armoured or armoured recce. but I honestly don't have that much information, certainly not enough to jump at the chance.

Are you a Reg F QL 5 qualified?  Are you with a Reg F Service Battalion?  How old are you?

To OT over to the cbt arms from CSS is rare but it has been done.  One of my MSE OPs OT'd to infantry and was posted to 2RCR.  The last time I saw him (about 10 years ago) he was happy with the change.

As a sup tech you are substantially more qualified than a combat storesman.  Cbt stmns are non-sup techs who get very rudimentary supply training.

If you are in a Reg F Svc Bn ask the Snr Tech (snr sup tech CWO on the base) to work in the QM of one of the cbt arms units.  This will give you a rough idea of what life over there is like but it is still not the same as being a cbt arms.

My advice is for you to talk to your Pl WO,  talk with your peers that OT'd from the cbt arms and talk with friends who are serving in the cbt arms now.

Good luck.

Happy Guy said:
Are you a Reg F QL 5 QL4 qualified? 

CFAO 11-12 is the Reg Force NCM OT reference and states QL4 qualified.  If your trade doesn't have a QL4, then QL3 is the QL requirement.  Basically you also need 48 months service (there is some debate on if that is to apply, or if you need to have 48 months if your application is successful and you are actually going to OT...so 48 months service before your VOT eff date).

You need to know if you meet the scores for CFAT, medical, etc as well.  If your MOSID is listed "green", 2% of the TES can OT out, 1% for amber and 0.5% for RED trades - if anyone tells you you can't apply for an OT because your trade is RED they are wrong.  Also, the trade you want into must have vacancies.

Check out CFAO 11-12 first, if you don't meet the eligibility criteria in the CFAO that is a show stopper right there.  The rest of the info will come out in the 2015 AVOTP CANFORGEN;  you might check the 2014 CANFORGENs for an idea how AVOTP works.

Back