• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Original Memo not returned to originator

Nasus

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all memo's that you send to your OC, CO or even to Command level suppose to be returned to the original drafter (with your CoC notes indicated on them)?  Does anyone have a ref for this?  I can't find anyting at all in the DAOD's wrt this.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone has some answers for me ... whether it's a yay or nay.  My memo went to Command level, I received an email response from Command, I then requested from my O/R that Command send back my original memo and was told by the O/R that they are not obligated to do that.  Any memo I have ever sent to my OC or CO has always been returned.  I fail to understand why Command is different.

I looked into something similar and the best answer I got was that members are not obligated to 'get their memo back' however the memo when it's finished it's purpose should be placed in the members pers file- which you can request to see.

So if your finished memo isn't in your pers file you can initiate a request to have it placed there like it should be.

I don't have references for this though and it may be erroneous.

Thank you muchly, I'll go to the O/R tomorrow and ask them to have it returned to my pers file.

I don't concur that it's policy to return a memo to the originator.

Memos have addressees on them.  That's where they go.  What happens then depends entirely on what the staffing action is.  If you asked a question it would be entirely appropriate for the memo to come back to you with the response, and it would also be good management (and leadership) to ensure that a member submitting a memo was informed of the end result, but I'm certainly not aware of any "return to originator policy" per se.

Regardless, when all action is complete, the memo should be passed to the OR/CR for filing as appropriate.  Of course, in this day and age, there seems to be a rather less than complete record coming to rest in the CR.  (Central Registry).  Remember the CR?

The only obligation here is for YOU to retain a copy of the memo that you sent.  Once it is sent and received, it becomes corporate record and will be filed accordingly once action has been taken.  Also, the file number that you put on the memo, may not be the file number used by the receiving department/unit.  In the end, you don't get the original back (or you shouldn't) because if you do, then there is NO official record of any of what just happened happening.

You sent in a memo and you received some form of official response back relating to the matter.  Case closed.

A few thoughts here.

We lost the concept of written correspondence some 15 years ago.  Back in the day, we wrote memos/letters/minute sheets.  We even had a round trip memorandum form.  No one blew their nose without a message being cut (remember ETA messages when a mbr was enroute on posting?).  All correspondence ended up as part of your pers file or in the Central Registry.  I would typically give the mbr a copy of that finalized document before it was put away (PA'ed) in CR or the OR.  My own personal shadow pers file (I have kept one for years) is full of copies.  Any originals I was given by mistake I made sure were PA'ed properly.  So you the mbr should technically be given an answer to your question, and all original correspondence be appropriately PA'ed for corporate memory purposes.  In theory, there should not be any original correspondence sitting around anywhere unless it is still in the staffing process.

Today, email is king.  While I lament this fact for many reasons, the reality is that few know how to track and PA email.  the result is a void of corporate memory.  I am willing to bet that the original of you memo upwards touched many hands and likely had a few written comments, but is likely not properly PA'ed.  And even if it is, it likely lacks the email response (let's assume an approval or denial) that you received.  So while you have received an answer to your question, the corporate memory is incomplete.

Correspondence management is a lost art.  I have given up trying to advance this issue as the rampant use of email (still official correspondence) has now deteriorated into quasi texting complete with smiley faces  :nod: 

Personally, I keep a signed and dated copy of anything I originate.  when I do get an answer back, regardless of the mechanism, I staple together and file on my personal shadow file I keep.  Once every year or so, I sit with a clerk and have a quick look at my pers file in the OR to ensure that anything of importance that I have a copy of that I believe should be on my pers file is indeed put there (thus why I keep a copy).  As an aside, if my reply is a telecon, I do up a quick synopsis of the call and attach that to my copy.

while admittedly an evil thought, I am eager for our next "Somalia File Search" fiasco as it will take another "the CF is hiding information from the public" scandal to bring to light how bad or records management has become. 

You should try making a request to get a copy of the memo through the Privacy Act.  It is very simple to fill out a request and mail it in.  Someone will probably contact you in a few weeks to verify what you need and they will get ahold of the memo and send it to you.  When a government agency has information about you, you can request the documents or info under the Privacy Act.  As the CF/DND is a government agency you should be able to get a copy of the memo including the minutes on said memo.  I would only go this route if you can't get ahold of the memo after it has passed through the CoC.  Any Canadian citizen is entitled to make these requests and it will only cost you the price of a stamp.

rocksteady said:
You should try making a request to get a copy of the memo through the Privacy Act.  It is very simple to fill out a request and mail it in.  Someone will probably contact you in a few weeks to verify what you need and they will get ahold of the memo and send it to you.  When a government agency has information about you, you can request the documents or info under the Privacy Act.  As the CF/DND is a government agency you should be able to get a copy of the memo including the minutes on said memo.  I would only go this route if you can't get ahold of the memo after it has passed through the CoC.  Any Canadian citizen is entitled to make these requests and it will only cost you the price of a stamp.

Given the OP made his post on October 07, 2012 and hasn't been active since 19 October 2012, I think he's likely solved his problem. ;)

Back