• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Origin of "hairy bag?"

x-grunt

Reaction score
Okay, so I've heard this term for years. Anyone know how it originated, and is it specific to Canada?

edit: typo

So George, you're saying its the opposite of what the air force calls a landing strip?

Perhaps x-grunt should use the term in a sentence, so that we will know of which context he refers to.

George Wallace said:
Perhaps x-grunt should use the term in a sentence, so that we will know of which context he refers to.

OK,
Would one of you hairy bag's know how the name "hairy bag" came about? And is it a general term for all Navy personnel or just sea-going? 

:)

Good one...

Did an extensive Google search and nothing out there seems to explain its origin.

Well, I have heard the derogatory use of "dirty bag/ball of Shyte" used in the Army too.  Unshaven, unshorn, filthy, unkept, uniform a discrace, type of comment towards those types of 'soldier/sailor/airman'.  It's origins, I suspect are lost in time.

Well the traditional naval beard might explain it, but it's on the wrong part of the anatomy.

Unless the guy's a di...

uh, nm

Actually, I think it refers to the uniform- we used to call it the "bag"- A sailor with a beard wearing the bag- "hairy bag" -- but the term has always been used in a good natured sort of way.  "Jack Ashore" and all those myths/traditions.

Probably a name some beloved cox'n of the past used to get his sailors moving which stuck.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Probably a name some beloved cox'n of the past used to get his sailors moving which stuck.

LOL... "quit skylarking, you taffy bunch o' hairy bags"

Back