• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPSEC for spouses

Lil_T

Inactive
Reaction score
Are there OPSEC briefings held for spouses?  There should be if there isn't.  Some people really need to learn to shut their mouths/ not facebook/post some things.

Lil_T said:
Are there OPSEC briefings held for spouses?  There should be if there isn't.  Some people really need to learn to shut their mouths/ not facebook/post some things.

Well even INT personnel do not get proper OPSEC lectures on some topics... having had to invent one on a topic recently. So I wouldn't keep my hopes up, really...

I think it's more the member's responsibility to brief his/her spouse on the implications of posting sensitive stuff on the net. 

SupersonicMax said:
I think it's more the member's responsibility to brief his/her spouse on the implications of posting sensitive stuff on the net.

Or maybe it's just easier for the member to keep their mouth shut in the first place on sensitive information.      ;)

Most times it's the member talking about things their spouses do not have "need to know" of, regardless of how badly they want to be included in the loop.

Regards

And from there it goes to the Wives (Guys) networks and PRESTO! we have the rhumour Mill going overtime and generally being exagerated beyond belief.

SupersonicMax said:
  That's exactly my point.  They should - but they don't.  Even something basic would be better than expecting Pte Bloggins to explain to the little wifey why she can't post XYZ on her facebook when he doesn't understand it himself.

Lil_T said:
  That's exactly my point.  They should - but they don't.  Even something basic would be better than expecing Pte Bloggins to explain to the little wifey why she can't post XYZ on her facebook when he doesn't understand it himself.

As previously stated, the husband shouldn't be telling the little wifey anything either.  ::)

beach_bum said:
As previously stated, the husband shouldn't be telling the little wifey anything either.  ::)

I totally agree.  I just think the spouses should be let in on WHY they shouldn't be running their mouths if their husband/ wife does tell them stuff.  A lot of them just don't get it.

I think you have missed my point.  There is no lecture for spouses on OPSEC.  The soldiers receive this lecture.  If they are telling their wives things, they are breaking OPSEC.

A lot of them don't get it even if they're told.  ::)

beach_bum said:
I think you have missed my point.  There is no lecture for spouses on OPSEC.  The soldiers receive this lecture.  If they are telling their wives things, they are breaking OPSEC.

I haven't missed your point.  I am aware of this. What I'm saying is that if the spouses aren't aware that they aren't supposed to know these things (and why) - it may be more likely that they would pump their partner for information.  Yes, the member should keep his/her mouth shut too, but we all know that doesn't happen 100% of the time.  I was seeing it as more of an information session about OPSEC, what it is and why it's important.  I think, it would help for them to hear it from "professionals" and not their spouses.

PMedMoe said:
A lot of them don't get it even if they're told.   ::)

I am totally aware of this too Moe.  *sigh*  I have taken it upon myself a few times to explain to people why  they can't post or say certain things.  The vast majority of the time, the response was surprise because they weren't aware.  Then went on to say, "oh, my husband might have mentioned something about that I'm not sure".  Which is my whole reasoning for giving spouses the OPSEC talk.  It seems they tend to not pay close attention to what their partner tells them with regard to this. 

Well, I can lecture someone all day about the importance of insect discipline and they still don't use it.  If we can't get the military members to pay attention and/or utilize the info we give them, I don't see it working too well for the spouses either.  Some people really are that thick.

"Don't ask. Don't tell."

The only thing my now Ex knew was my departure timings, and she did not know that until a matter of days. She knew this info was sensitive.

I never told her the exact time I was coming home until required, but hinted around certain important personal dates/timings.

No actual dates were mentioned via phone or emails.  I have seen on here on some occasions with some spouses spilling unnecessary tour info, and this has always been well very policed by vigilant members and moderators.

There is no other mission specific details which spouses should know anyways.

OWDU

helpup said:
And from there it goes to the Wives (Guys) networks and PRESTO! we have the rhumour Mill going overtime and generally being exagerated beyond belief. 

Sometimes the rumours passed around by members are no better than what the spouses are saying...

Personally, I think OPSEC for families is a great idea. I don't know the details of  the Facebook incident and I would never publicise anything but I have a  million questions about the army. Are e-mails back and forth to KAF screened? Is the mail? Are the phones tapped? Can the bad guys read the e-mails? Can the good guys?  I don't know any details of what happens over there and I don't ask.  But I could envisage a situation where a guy might want to unload a little emotionally, if there is no one else to talk to. It would be a great service to families if we knew how to deal with this from an OPSEC point of view. If a soldier starts to tell a family member something, we would be in a great position if we could say "Honey, don't tell me that, let's talk about  ______ instead" and to know what we can know and what we shouldn't know.  I know the time and the weather of KAF and what I read in the news. That's it.  What can I pass on to  my son from here in  terms of the news? Britney was here last night or more relevant stuff  about the politics of Afghanistan? Do the bad guys know if I forward him an link to  newspaper articles?  Is it ok for me to ask if I can donate stuff to the kids or schools there? Can the bad guys read this? Knowledge is power.

Greymatters said:
Sometimes the rumours passed around by members are no better than what the spouses are saying...

no arguments there.  My wife and I both had to deal with being high up on the contact list for stuff happening oversea's and on more then one occassion serving people were trying to pump us for info.  Sorry but that is a no go from the get go.

I understand the need people have for info but I dont agree they should have it.  A OPSEC brief for spouses is a good idea along with a point of contact that they can call or look at that will give out information that could be shared.  But since I grew up with my dad in the Navy and Sub's especially I got use to ( along with my Mom) not knowing.  You learn to deal with it.  I dont when deployed keep people in the dark though.  There is alot that can be said to those at home that does not break OPSEC however most people do not have that ability or inclination.  Generally once they are on the ground thier mind is on the job not on sharing with those back at home.  And trust me you want thier minds in the here and now not woolley gathering about sharing. 

(arrrg spell check is still not working on my work computer)

All great questions, generally speaking, if the information is common knowledge (in the news etc) then it is safe to talk about. 

The things that aren't, generally, are specific dates, times, places of missions - units taking part etc.  Things the general public can't find out from a newspaper.  If you can think to yourself "this is something I shouldn't know" then don't say it/ write it/ post it anywhere.

I know I'm over-simplifying, I just don't feel like going into a long drawn out spiel today.

eta: awesome points made as well by helpup!

Perhaps the members should decide what to tell their spouses. 

No need to go into details that the spouse doesn't need to know.

Gone on this date, home on that date...

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Perhaps the members should decide what to tell their spouses. 

No need to go into details that the spouse doesn't need to know.

Gone on this date, home on that date...

That is Funny!!!
My own rule is the only confirmed date of being somewhere is when my boots are actually there.  Anything else is just a guide.

Back