• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunity to update the CC-150 fleet?

Replacement of the CC-150 long overdue and the MRTT-330 is a proven option that should be a no-brainer….same as “Fix 24 Sussex already, FFS!” (That’s a non-partisan FFS, btw…)

You're right of course. I'm just being a little %&*%.

I just have a hard time with this one. It has the feel of Challenger buys. Oh we need to replace the CC-150 VVIP and refueler. OK this buy looks to move faster than all the others. It just smells and tastes wrong.

In defence of the RCAF yes the CC-150 need to be replaced. And they of course didn't want to announce or buy anything before the CF-18 replacement was locked down. That I agree with at least on the optics side of house. Remember reading some press against the F-35 saying they don't work with our refeulers and they used this as one of the major point against. Dumb point but one that was used.

One more point in my dark heart.......If my thinking is right that the purchase got though because Socks wanted a better jet....that this announcement is somebody's passive aggressive way of F you.

Or the Liberal know an election is coming and this is clearing a file as a stick for the opposition to use.

But really in truth sounds like the best short term option and the RCAF is making a good call.
Or the Americans made them do it. The USAF is in the midst of retiring the highest offload tanker fleet by sending the KC-10's to Arizona. The KC-30 as the Airbuses are known as have almost the same offload as the KC-10's. When General Kennie gets his 8-9 KC -30's bought, converted and operational Canada will have a real Contribution to both NORAD and NATO as the Europeans have bought the Airbus A 330-200's in quantity. I think they are over 30 A/C counting France , UK, NATO and the Spanish recent three A/C buy. Canada would have almost 25 % of non American NATO's Big jet Tanker Transports.

Or the Americans made them do it. The USAF is in the midst of retiring the highest offload tanker fleet by sending the KC-10's to Arizona. The KC-30 as the Airbuses are known as have almost the same offload as the KC-10's. When General Kennie gets his 8-9 KC -30's bought, converted and operational Canada will have a real Contribution to both NORAD and NATO as the Europeans have bought the Airbus A 330-200's in quantity. I think they are over 30 A/C counting France , UK, NATO and the Spanish recent three A/C buy. Canada would have almost 25 % of non American NATO's Big jet Tanker Transports.
I don't think the Americans made them anymore then you need refueling. The CC-150 replacement was on the books. Boeing didn't bid. Two reasons I guess the Trudeau hate of Boeing and the tons of bad press their current tanker was getting.

FYI Lockheed is bidding the A330 MRTT for the USAF Tanker Y second contract. That will be an interesting one to watch.
Plus they are now thinking they need a penetration tanker or something like that.

The reason we are buying Airbus as opposed to Boeing is we have a choice . The USAF does not thanks to both Houses of Congress and Boeing's legal Department.

Comd RCAF is on the record as saying it will be 8 or more.
thats a crazy expansion in capability.
With that many is it necessary for the VIP plane to be a MRTT as well?
No more C130 tankers?
I wonder what the plan is for the CC-150's in the transition period here for the next bit. Parts robbing to keep the tanker capabiity going?

No more C130 tankers?
I wonder what the plan is for the CC-150's in the transition period here for the next bit. Parts robbing to keep the tanker capabiity going?
The intent is a capacity increase to support NORAD.

No more C130 tankers?
We took possession of the last Luftwaffe Tanker for that parts problem

Comd RCAF is on the record as saying it will be 8 or more.
Perhaps we didn’t get the probe and drogue installed on our F-35s, likely due to our hurried buying schedule, so need a full tanker. Larger interceptor in CFB Comox, or Greenwood, instead 1950s thinking behind CFB Cold Lake.More pressure from the Americans to play a reasonable role in coastal air defence. And in Grey.

All F35 support AAR. Basing decisions for both fighters and AAR platforms have multiple considerations. Permanent basing in Comox or Greenwood or other locations may not be viable for reasons not immediately obvious.

Back