• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPP Charges Former Canadian Forces Medical Officer with Practicing Medicine with

schart28

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/February2008/20/c4114.html

OPP Charges Former Canadian Forces Medical Officer with Practicing Medicine without a Licence

ORILLIA, ON, Feb. 20 /CNW/ - OPP Anti-Rackets Section, Health Fraud
Investigation Unit has charged Zak Alaistair Bayfield, age 31, of Petawawa,
Ontario, with five counts of Unauthorized Performance of a Controlled Act,
contrary to the Regulated Health Professions Act. It is alleged that Bayfield
practiced medicine at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa without holding a valid
provincial licence.
    The investigation was referred to the OPP Anti-Rackets Health Fraud
Investigation Unit by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario in
July of 2007.
    Bayfield was charged on February 12, 2008 and is scheduled to appear in
Provincial Offences Court, 141 Lake Street in Pembroke Ontario on April 7th,

The OPP Anti-Rackets Health Fraud Investigation Unit is comprised of 22
OPP investigators dedicated to investigate allegations of fraud relating to
the Ontario Health System on behalf of the Ministry of Health and Long Term
Care.

For further information: Detective Staff Sergeant Scott James, Health
Fraud Investigation Unit, Anti-Rackets Section, Ontario Provincial Police,
Phone: (705) 329-6421

------------------------------

Is there no check for valid license???

I don't know the particulars of this case, but the headline may be misleading. Was he indeed a former CF member (I've never met him). Or, was he a civilian employed as a third-party contractor at the clinic?

CF H Svcs Gp has a contract with an organization to provide civilian health care professionals to man the clinics, etc. We do set out the criteria, but I would suspect that the contractor is responsible to ensure the people they hire are properly credentialed.

We also can't overlook the fact that some folks have proven quite adept at forgery/impersonation.

There's just not enough info to go on here.

Yes, there is, but if it's fraud then it could be a fraudulent license. He could also have been between employers if he left the CF and worked on contract. The CF pays for the license when in uniform, but as a contractor he has to pay, and could have let it lapse. Without more details it's hard to say how the fraud occurred.

There are a few points left unclear by this.  I can't tell whether he was a CF Medical officer, a public servant MD, or a contractor hired to provide health services - the responsibility to check the license would lie in different places in each instance.  The title states he was an MO, but the content of the press release never makes that clear.

Still, I suspect the Surgeon General is getting a few pointed questions...

Are you refering to Calian?

Staff Weenie said:
CF H Svcs Gp has a contract with an organization to provide civilian health care professionals to man the clinics, etc. We do set out the criteria, but I would suspect that the contractor is responsible to ensure the people they hire are properly credentialed.

He was a newly recruited CF medical officer. I was in Petawawa last year when he was quickly removed from his position after seeing patients for 3 months. Last I heard he was doing an admin job in Pet and still in the CF awaiting what is now happening. I never worked for him but apparently he is very knowledgeable medically and did not raise any flags until the CF did a check on his licensing. What I don't understand is how this was not picked up firstly by recruiting and secondly by the CO of 2 Fd Amb???

I'm sure the DG is asking those same questions.

ModlrMike said:

They were asking those questions last year when they realized he had no license to practice medicine in this country.

Ex-CFB Petawawa doctor charged with practising without licence

Andrew Seymour
The Ottawa Citizen

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ontario Provincial Police have charged a former Canadian Forces medical officer with practising medicine without a licence.

The OPP anti-rackets health fraud investigation unit charged Zak Alaistair Bayfield, 31, on Feb. 12 with five counts of unauthorized performance of a controlled act under the Regulated Health Professions Act.

According to police, Dr. Bayfield was practising medicine at CFB Petawawa between February and March 2007 without having a valid provincial license. OPP Det. Staff Sgt. Scott James said the investigation was launched in July 2007 after the matter was referred to the OPP by the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons.

According to the College's website, Dr. Bayfield's is no longer registered. His medical certificate expired on Aug. 31, 2006, according to their webpage.

Dr. Bayfield, who went by the name Zak Bayat until August 2, 2006, graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2004, according to information contained on the college's web listing.

Specializing in family medicine, Dr. Bayfield also attended the University of Western Ontario for post-graduate studies, the college said.

He is scheduled to appear in Pembroke court on Apr. 7.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=718092ff-15f5-4e5f-8346-1d032775cb8c&k=56808

.....and the media onslaught begins!

Yeah, I had wondered if he was a Calian employee, as they are responsible to ensure the credentials check out.

ModlrMike - was he licensed in another country?

I had somebody trying to get into the forces who kept telling everybody he was an MD - he had barely made it through Med School in Pakistan, but I never saw anything to indicate he'd even secured a license there.

The controlled acts set out in the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) are:

1. Communicating to the individual or his or her personal representative a diagnosis identifying a disease or disorder as the cause of the symptoms of the individual in circumstances in which it is reasonably foreseeable that the individual or his or her personal representative will rely on the diagnosis.

2. Performing a procedure on tissue below the dermis, below the surface of a mucous membrane, in or below the surface of the cornea, or in or below the surfaces of the teeth, including the scaling of teeth.

3. Setting or casting a fracture of a bone or a dislocation of a joint.

4. Moving the joints of the spine beyond the individual's usual physiological range of motion using a fast, low amplitude thrust.

5. Administering a substance by injection or inhalation.

6. Putting an instrument, hand or finger,

(1) beyond the external ear canal,
    (2) beyond the point in the nasal passages where they normally narrow,
    (3) beyond the larynx,
    (4) beyond the opening of the urethra,
    (5) beyond the labia majora,
    (6) beyond the anal verge,
    (7) or into an artificial opening in the body.

7. Applying or ordering the application of a form of energy prescribed by the regulations under the RHPA.

8. Prescribing, dispensing, selling or compounding a drug as defined in clause 117(1) of the Drug and Pharmacies Regulation Act, or supervising the part of a pharmacy where such drugs are kept.

9. Prescribing or dispensing, for vision or eye problems, subnormal vision devices, contact lenses or eye glasses other than simple magnifiers.

10. Prescribing a hearing aid for a hearing impaired person.

11. Fitting or dispensing a dental prosthesis, orthodontic or periodontal appliance or device used inside the mouth to prevent the teeth from abnormal functioning.1

12. Managing labour or conducting the delivery of a baby.

13. Allergy challenge testing of a kind in which a positive result of the test is a significant allergic response.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/delegation.htm

In case anyone wants to know what controlled acts are see above or check link.

Staff Weenie said:
ModlrMike - was he licensed in another country?

I don't know. It appears he never kept up his registration.

ModlrMike said:

Irregular Enrollment, Lying, Fraud.  Keep in mind - A graduate from medical school is not always granted or successfully retains a license to practice medicine.

Frostnipped Elf said:
A graduate from medical school is not always granted or successfully retains a license to practice medicine.

Good point. It's entirely possible he was on the educational register and never did the LMCC or Ontario exams.

His certification expired 31 Aug 06. He was practicing medine in a small clinic in north London, Ontario for several months after that date before the CF recruited him. But being certified and being licensed to practice medicine in a province are two different things. This makes me wonder if there are any other doctors in this country who are practicing without a license.

The damage this Dr could have done had he not been found out is scary. Had there not been an audit going on at the time checking CF medical facilities and personnel credentials would he have been caught??  Regardless, the CF recruited and employed an unlicensed physician. Somebody should fry for that, or are officers who recruit unqualified MOs above scrutiny and CF policy??

Bigmac said:
     His certification expired 31 Aug 06. He was practicing medine in a small clinic in north London, Ontario for several months after that date before the CF recruited him. But being certified and being licensed to practice medicine in a province are two different things. This makes me wonder if there are any other doctors in this country who are practicing without a license.

The damage this Dr could have done had he not been found out is scary. Had there not been an audit going on at the time checking CF medical facilities and personnel credentials would he have been caught??  Regardless, the CF recruited and employed an unlicensed physician. Somebody should fry for that, or are officers who recruit unqualified MOs above scrutiny and CF policy?? 

The bigger concern for the CF is the liability for the doctors actions.  If the doctor incorrectly diagnosed a patient, or gave the wrong medicatino rsulting in serious illness or death of a patient, they or their family could potentially sue to CF...  either way, they have to make an example of this guy.

Back in the news,

April 14, 2016

Ex-Forces officer accused of bank heists 
Once treated soldiers without licence

TORONTO - A former military medical officer who was caught treating soldiers at a Canadian Forces base without a licence in 2007 is now accused of a series of recent bank heists.

And just before one armed robbery, Toronto Police allege the man fired a gunshot inside a Belleville high school to keep cops busy.
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/14/ex-forces-officer-accused-of-bank-heists

This guy definitely falls into the WTF category and makes one wonder how a supposedly well educated and hopefully intelligent person who could have been successful in either of two well paid professions (medicine and physiotherapy) screws up so badly.

details of his registration with The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario

Result of his appeal to get a medical license Bayfield v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, 2010 CanLII 91063 (ON HPARB)

details of his registration with The College of Physiotherapists of Ontario

Back