• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPFOR weapons

EMEGUY421 said:
The Chinese make an AK variant in 5.56MM for export into civilian sales.

Don't forget they also made them for export sales to client countries, selective fire versions w/spike bayo, and also an AKS version. Nigeria was one of these countries. The rifles had unique threads and a special cap (unlike the usual muzzle brake/muzzle nut) for a grenade launcher.

The PRC did away with the muzzle nuts when they went from machined AK47 style recievers to the stamped AKM style. The only advantage to these were the use of a BFA in those days (post 1975).

Problems encountered with these 5.56 x 45mm (M193 twist was 1/12in) were severe trigger vibrations, so much it actually hurt when squeezing the trigger. Mods were made in the gas piston, as a channel (length ways) was machined on each side of the pistol head, allowing more gas to escape through the relief holes on the tube assembly. I do not know if this mod was done on the semi only versions.

Cheers,

Wes

I'll Check my Norinco 84-S when I get home for those gas piston mods.  It's one of the Semi-Only rifles in 5.56mm.  Alas, I can't shoot it, as all 12(5) rifles are now safe queens.

Oh, and I suppose I could have a peek at my C1A1, or maybe compare it to my L1A1 (Brit) or my L1A1 (Aus) or my 1A1 (Ind) to see what they look like....I just picked up the Lithgow L1A1 last night.  Alas, it has the Canadian Topcover, so it's not fully original (dang) but it's in good shape!

Back to the original point about weapons for OPFOR, I think having a de-centralized approach would be a bad idea. 

Shipping them to all different units across the country would be a nightmare, and supporting them would be a huge issue. 

How many ammo depots would have to get stocks of 7.62x39 ammo?  How many weapons techs would need to get trained on maintaining them?  How long would that take, and who would do the training?

The better solution would be a single set of weapons.

Get a CONEX setup as an armoury for a set of AK/RPK type weapons, and move it to the main training location for the next roto, have an OPFOR cadre move with it, and you have only 1-2 Weapons Techs that'd need to get trained up, and the cadre could the the weapons handling training for the on-site OPFOR groups that would join them from the local units.

Just an idea, but I think a centralized approach would be far better than a de-centralized from the logistical stand-point. 

NS

The last plan on this I heard of was the CF was purchasing at least a Coy sized suite of live Non Service Weapons ofr use during high readiness training. The plan as laid out was to purchase a number of live weapons in 7.62x 39mm for use on live fire ranges and as effects on Lvl 4 and up ranges, a number of weapons in 5.56mm for use during high readiness trng, and a number of deactivated weapons for use to simulate insurgent caches for training. No word on how soon or where they would be kept at this time by the purchase is ongoing.

NavyShooter said:
I'll Check my Norinco 84-S when I get home for those gas piston mods.  It's one of the Semi-Only rifles in 5.56mm.  Alas, I can't shoot it, as all 12(5) rifles are now safe queens.

Oh, and I suppose I could have a peek at my C1A1, or maybe compare it to my L1A1 (Brit) or my L1A1 (Aus) or my 1A1 (Ind) to see what they look like....I just picked up the Lithgow L1A1 last night.  Alas, it has the Canadian Topcover, so it's not fully original (dang) but it's in good shape!

Why you gotta be "that guy" NavyShooter?? lol....

Yes, you have lots of shiny toys... dont dangle them infront of the poor non-grandfathered, mere-mortals like myself... its just mean. :)

Cheers,
Eric

MG34 said:
The last plan on this I heard of was the CF was purchasing at least a Coy sized suite of live Non Service Weapons ofr use during high readiness training. The plan as laid out was to purchase a number of live weapons in 7.62x 39mm for use on live fire ranges and as effects on Lvl 4 and up ranges, a number of weapons in 5.56mm for use during high readiness trng, and a number of deactivated weapons for use to simulate insurgent caches for training. No word on how soon or where they would be kept at this time by the purchase is ongoing.

We'll get all the kinks worked out, and have a fully-kitted out Taliban OPFOR sometime after we've left the country.  Probably start year-long Pastun language courses in 2014 or so...

Back