• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Operation Medusa

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but it had eyes rolling and people a little exasperated at how naive the press can be with the locals. Because everything they say MUST be the saintly unvarnished truth, and the military ALWAYS lies.  ::)
But scandal sells, so what the heck!
The reaction by Globe and Mail posters takes the cake though, I added the link to it at the end

LINK TO ARTICLE http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060922.wmedusa0923/BNStory/Afghanistan/home

Inspiring tale of triumph over Taliban not all it seems
GRAEME SMITH

From Saturday's Globe and Mail

The official story of Operation Medusa has been repeated many times in recent days, after NATO declared success with its biggest offensive to date in Afghanistan.

In speeches from Kabul to Washington, military commanders described the two-week campaign as a simple, clear-cut triumph: The Taliban entrenched themselves in a swath of terrain, terrorizing local villagers; Canadian soldiers led a massive assault, killing more than 1,000 Taliban and routing others; and now villagers are welcoming the return of government rule. Military officials say the operation may have destroyed up to one third of the insurgency's hardcore ranks.

It's an inspiring tale, as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization calls on members for more troops and struggles to gain support for the war.

But interviews with tribal elders, farmers and senior officials in the city of Kandahar suggest a version of events that is more complicated, and less reassuring.

Many of the fighters killed — perhaps half of them, by one estimate — were not Taliban stalwarts, but local farmers who reportedly revolted against corrupt policing and tribal persecution. It appears the Taliban did not choose the Panjwai district as a battleground merely because the irrigation trenches and dry canals provided good hiding places, but because many villagers were willing to give them food, shelter — even sons for the fight — in exchange for freedom from the local authorities.

The government has regained control of this restive district southwest of Kandahar city, and has promised to muster donations from Canada and other countries to rebuild. The Canadian military says it will help local security forces establish a new base to make sure the Taliban do not return to Panjwai.

But there are troubling signs that the area may be sliding back toward the same conditions that sparked the violent revolt.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that Taliban fighters continue to lurk around the district, and that police in the area have resumed the abusive tactics that originally ignited local anger. Farmers say gangs of policemen, often their tribal rivals, have swept into Panjwai behind the Canadian troops to search for valuables. They have been described ransacking homes, burning shops and conducting shakedowns at checkpoints.

"This is a case of bad governance," said Talatbek Masadykov, head of the United Nations mission in southern Afghanistan.

"Maybe half of these so-called anti-government elements acting here in this area of the south, they had to join this Taliban movement because of the misbehaviour of these bad guys," Mr. Masadykov said, referring to undisciplined local police.

Police commanders in Kandahar city declined to be interviewed. The allegations from local farmers are difficult to confirm, because it has been only two days since Panjwai was deemed safe enough for civilians to return home, and the area remains too dangerous for Western journalists to visit.

But even politicians who generally support the government concede that the situation in Panjwai was aggravated by the missteps of local authorities.

The most notorious of the blunders was the case of Abdul Razik. Last month, concerned about the growing number of Taliban on the doorstep of Kandahar city, the provincial government assigned Mr. Razik to clear insurgents from Panjwai. Mr. Razik serves as a police commander in Spin Boldak, near the Pakistani border, but his fighters have a reputation as a kind of militia, all drawn from the same tribe: the Achakzai, a branch of the Pashtun ethnic group.

In the borderlands, the Achakzai often feud with another Pashtun tribe, the Noorzai. The two tribes also dominate the strip of farmland in Panjwai where Mr. Razik was dispatched, although the tribes have usually co-existed peacefully — until the arrival of Mr. Razik. Word spread quickly through Panjwai that the police commander intended to kill not only Taliban but any member of the Noorzai tribe; true or not, Mr. Razik soon found himself facing an armed uprising. His men were ambushed southwest of the village of Panjwai District Centre, and many of their bodies were left rotting on the road as Mr. Razik retreated to the borderlands.

But having fought off Mr. Razik, the local Noorzai tribesmen soon ended up fighting his more disciplined colleagues from the police and Afghan National Army.

"This was a bad idea, to bring Abdul Razik," said Haji Mohammed Qassam, a provincial council member in Kandahar with responsibility for security issues.

"One village had 10 or 20 fighters against the government before he came, and the next day, maybe 200."

It was only one example among many complaints cited by people from Panjwai as they described the deteriorating relations between locals and the government. Well before Mr. Razik's arrival, villagers say, they were subject to police stealing their cash, cellphones and watches. Even motorbikes and cars were seized by police patrols, locals say.

Abid, 32, a farmer from the Pashmul area, roughly 15 kilometres southwest of Kandahar, said the thievery by police got so frequent that his friend tried a novel tactic when he encountered a checkpoint two months ago.

Rolling toward a roadblock on a motorbike in the late evening, he said, his friend turned off the motor and started coasting toward the police.

"He took the keys out of the ignition and threw them into the bushes, so they couldn't steal it," Abid said. "This made them angry. They beat him, took his money and his watch. But he kept his bike."

The depredations stopped as the Taliban gained control of the area, villagers said. The insurgents imposed a strict order; some reports suggested they had returned to their habit of cutting off thieves' hands.

Abdul Ahad, 44, a wealthy farmer and landowner from the village of Sangisar, said he appreciated the Taliban, despite the terror he felt every time he passed through one of their checkpoints.

In a recent interview, Mr. Ahad removed a black leather diary from his breast pocket and showed a reporter where he had scribbled a few numbers for government officials. Those numbers could have got him killed, he said, if the Taliban had found the diary during their regular searches at checkpoints, because the fighters would have assumed he is a spy.

Still, risking death at the roadblocks was better, he said, than the random thievery and beatings meted out by the Afghan police.

"The Taliban didn't take any tolls at the checkposts," Mr. Ahad said. "Even when they came to my farm, they did not eat my grapes without permission."

The Taliban also endeared themselves to the locals by returning to their roots as a protest movement. The name Taliban first gained notoriety in Afghanistan in 1992, after a group of religious students started attacking the roadblocks in Panjwai to remove the corrupt jihadi commanders who once waged holy war against the Soviets but had settled into gangsterism after the Soviet withdrawal.

"Policemen [now] are like jihadi commanders in the past," said Mr. Masadykov, at the UN office in Kandahar.

"They are misbehaving sometimes, looting, going to search and at the same time stealing everything in the houses. We are receiving a lot of complaints about it. We have to work on it."

Mr. Qassam said the government has learned from its Panjwai experience and will try to avoid repeating it. Taliban are now infiltrating the Khakrez district, he said, but the government will try sending more disciplined Afghan forces to maintain order, rather than requesting an onslaught of NATO power.

Mr. Qassam also emphasized an aspect of NATO's story about Operation Medusa that few people in Kandahar question: The city itself now feels a little more secure.

The encroaching insurgency had left the educated city dwellers feeling unsafe. Housing prices, and even vehicle prices, were depressed in recent months. Some locals reported rental fees falling as much as ten times lower than last year's rates.

Merchants in the city were even sending packages of phone cards and cash to the Taliban in Panjwai, hoping to curry favour with the insurgents in case they overran the provincial capital, Mr. Qassam said.

"When the Taliban were in Panjwai, all the people in this area were worrying: 'Where will I move my family?'" Mr. Qassam said. "They are more relaxed and happy now."

And the reaction at the G&M BBS
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060922.wmedusa0923/CommentStory/Afghanistan/home

Just note your objection, quote pertinent parts and provide LINKS please. That's a long read.

just so you know, I agree with your assessment of the bias of some of the press. If you think this is bad, you should see some of the outrageous ones I run across doing the Sandbox thread.  :)

Barry Burns from CJOB (other audio reports can be found on the same page), a Winnipeg Radio News station, interviews the G&M's Graham Smith who was on OPERATION MEDUSA.
Link to the Windows media file of the interview can be found Here

Ok I had to make this my first post, found this gem in the replies

Nick Wright from Halifax, Canada writes: Thanks to Graeme Smith for penetrating the official line on our operations in Afghanistan; we would never have heard this from our government. This is real reporting, and I don't doubt that he took some personal risks to get the story. This one article alone should make it clear to everyone that we are not fighting a conventional battle against an easily identifiable enemy--the mix of loyalties and who is relatively virtuous is ever-changing, which makes our current strategy and tactics completely inappropriate to the situation. There may be some merchants who feel safer (based on their own interests), but there are probably many more whose relatives we have killed and maimed, and whose homes and livelihoods we have destroyed, who see us as allies of their oppressors. We urgently need to redefine our mission in Afghanistan to reflect the Afghanistan reality, not our naive ideology or our Prime Minister's global ambitions.  ::)

*edit* posted a comment on the site and it says it has to be reviewed by an editor, whatcha bet it won't get posted?

I wonder if our intrepid reporter is going to follow up and see how the other two "D"'s are being deployed to deal with the local development and governence issues?

Hint; that is the real story; our troops providing the secure environment to deal with these issues is simply the prologue.

There is probably many good and interesting things to take out of this - there is no doubt truth to the tribal animosity that the author highlights.  But I feel alot of the comments on the G&M board lost sight of the forest for the trees.  Are people in an active warzone going to be discontented?  Yup.  Ask a German how he felt in May of 1945 and I doubt he would have been content.  Better yet, there was alot of angry Iraqis as soon as the euphoria of wapping a statue with your sandle wore off.  But the war never turned south there at that point - it was months after when nothing was done to address these concerns when the true insurgency broke out.

Does this mean the war is unwinnable?  I would hesitate to take local anecdotes of pissed of Pashtuns and project it onto the strategic level.  Hell, when I was in the Balkans alot of people were still pissed at eachother, pointed out how X ethnic group was stealing and screwing their own group over, blamed the US for something (anything really), and generally didn't like us.  However, you'd be surprised how they calm down when you give them the chance to do something productive with their lives and their family.  Then they just grumble over coffee or tea instead of shooting at each other....

My 2 cents

Well, ya know, Smith's report could well be true and I'm reluctant to question his veracity.  Indeed, the article supports what some of us have been saying regarding the requirement for a concerted effort to reform both the ANA and ANP (particularly the latter).

The report hardly reflects poorly on the CF or on our offensive in Panjwai.  It may, however, reflect some of the challenges we face in sorting out the huge variety of problems facing the Afghan government.

Im sure Mr.Smith went to Afganistan himself to make sure what he wrote was accurate

Actually, he did.

Im sure Mr.Smith went to Afganistan himself to make sure what he wrote was accurate 

Ghoster, I don't think you need to roll your eyes.  If I am not mistook this is the same Graham Smith (Actually it is Graeme Smith) of the Globe and Mail that is being interviewed "Live from Afghanistan" at this link below.  Mr. Smith has filed a number of reports from Afghanistan.

PB&J said:
Barry Burns from CJOB (other audio reports can be found on the same page), a Winnipeg Radio News station, interviews the G&M's Graham Smith who was on OPERATION MEDUSA.
Link to the Windows media file of the interview can be found Here

As the previous two posts highlight, probably the most important thing to understand here is not to dismiss the news because it doesn't fit into your mental box or you simply don't like what it has to say.  We've (as a collective West) been doing this too much in this war - on both sides of the political spectrum - and it has caused us to make some strategic errors.  As Teddy Ruxpin pointed out, this isn't really a reflection of our tactical performance, but more a reminder of the strategic realities.

It seems to be fairly accurate reporting to me.

Graeme Smith has done some very good writing prior to this. From what I have read, he is not one to rip up the CF for the sake of ripping up the CF.

How accurate is this report? I don't know - I'm not there. It could be full of errors, it could be accurate, it could be a mix. Enemy info ops, or genuine concerns?

If there is any truth to what Graeme Smith is saying, it is another problem we must address. But it's not really a shock, because the CF have been saying just that from the get go - the Afghan government is far from perfect, and until it is stable enough to stand on its own, NATO must be there until it functions at an 'acceptable' level.
So for all the comments from the readers saying "Finally - the truth!" - errrr, not really. Nobody's ever said the ANA and ANP were perfect. If they were, we would come home!

True, it's not enough to just defeat an enemy, you have to give the populace something to fight for.
From what I've read on Vietnam, I've thought that the major reason the South lost was the inability to eradicate corruption and inefficiency in their regime.
I don't think the Communists would have been able to sustain support among the population, nor would U.S. opinion have been as strongly anti-war, if the Republic of Vietnam had been more of a credible, functioning democracy.
Again, these are two rather different wars, but there are some lessons to be learned.

This article might be totally wrong ... but it might be constructive criticism.

And in no way does it denegrate the bravery or professionalism of the CF. In fact, I think it is Western culture's ability to be self-analytical, self-critical, and adaptable that makes it so strong.

Looks like more troubles ahead:
Afghan forces strength serious issue for Canadian troops
Last Updated: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 | 9:46 PM ET
CBC News

Canadian military officials in Afghanistan have grown concerned in recent weeks over the level of support provided by Afghan security forces in reconstruction efforts.

Lt.-Col. Omer Lavoie told CBC News that without sufficient support from Afghan forces, the Panjwaii district has grown even more volatile for Canadian soldiers.

"The real challenge is getting sufficient numbers of both the Afghan national army and Afghan national police forces in the area to support the operations that we're conducting," said Lavoie.

Canadian troops said they were impressed with the abilities of the Afghan security forces during NATO's Operation Medusa, the large-scale offensive aimed at driving Taliban fighters from their strongholds in the southern part of the country.

But the Afghan forces face shortages of equipment and weapons. Manpower is also an issue for positions that are extremely dangerous and don't pay well.

Since the Afghan mission began four years ago, 40 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have been killed.

In a similar time span, over 800 Afghan security personnel have been killed, according to NATO figures.

Spreading insurgency

Canadian soldiers told the CBC it's difficult to know who the enemy is, as the Taliban have been known to pose as farmers and plant roadside bombs.

The insurgency hasn't been strictly among Taliban militants, but their sympathizers as well.

Cpl. Alexander Darroch said securing the border is critical to helping Afghans police their own country.

"We're going to have to close down the borders and get the Afghan security forces on their feet, so they can do the job and we're just sitting back supporting them," said Darroch.

"I think they kind of pulled back. We haven't seen them in probably about two weeks."

Gen. David Richards, NATO's top commander in Afghanistan, told the Associated Press this week that there has been a noticeable surge in violence along the eastern border with Pakistan since that country's government signed a so-called peace agreement in early September with Taliban allies in the Waziristan region.

Lt.-Col. Fahid Ahmadi of the Afghan army agreed that the country's forces need to show that they can keep the peace, so "people can be convinced that we don't allow bad guys, the enemy of Afghanistan, to come back and destroy their houses."

Establishing that presence is of critical importance in the coming weeks, according to Richards.

He said Afghans are likely to switch their allegiance to resurgent Taliban militants if there are no visible improvements in people's lives in the next six months.

With files from the Associated Press

They are talking about "Our Lads" (Yes I mean Canadian)!

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2168008.php

Air, ground attacks kill 94 Taliban in Afghanistan

By Noor Khan
Associated Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — NATO and Afghan forces killed 94 Taliban fighters in airstrikes and ground attacks in southern Afghanistan, while a suicide bomber on Sunday killed a provincial governor in the east, amid deepening violence across the insurgency-wracked country.

The U.S. military, meanwhile, said that a suicide bombing cell was operating in Kabul, with the aim of targeting foreign troops. The warning came two days after a car bomber rammed into a U.S. Army convoy near the U.S. Embassy, killing 16 people, the worst such attack in the capital.

“This cell is alive and working and remains very much a threat,” Col. Tom Collins, the chief U.S. spokesman, told a news conference in the Kabul.

Afghanistan is facing its worst upsurge in violence since the U.S.-led ouster of the Taliban regime nearly five years ago for hosting Osama bin Laden. While insurgents have stepped attacks across the country, the heaviest fighting has been focussed on the south.

NATO said the 94 militants were killed in Kandahar province’s Panjwayi and neighboring Zhari districts late Saturday and early Sunday, pushing the toll from a nine-day counterinsurgency operation there past 420. Six NATO soldiers and 14 British crew of a reconnaissance plane have also died.

Operation Medusa began Sept. 2 in Panjwayi, where hundreds of militants had mobilized just 15 miles west of the main southern city of Kandahar — the former seat of the Taliban government. It’s one of the most intense military confrontations since the U.S.-led campaign that toppled the Islamist regime.

NATO said in a statement that the latest insurgent casualties were inflicted in four separate engagements using artillery and air strikes.

There has been no independent confirmation of the casualty numbers given by NATO. Purported Taliban spokesmen have disputed them.

But the anti-insurgent blitz comes amid concerns that NATO lacks enough troops to succeed in its mission.

In Poland, Gen. Ray Henault, chief of NATO’s military committee, said Saturday he would formally ask the alliance’s 26 member states on Monday to provide up to 2,500 more troops to supplement the 8,000 mostly British, Canadian and Dutch forces it already has in the volatile region.

Meanwhile in eastern Afghanistan, a suicide bombing killed three people including the governor of Paktia province outside his office on Sunday, and wounded three, police said.

The attacker, with explosives attached to his body, ran into a car carrying Gov. Abdul Hakim Taniwal, his nephew and a bodyguard, killing all of them as they left the office in the Paktia capital of Gardez, U.S. and Afghan officials said. Taniwal died of his wounds in hospital.

Mohammed Hanif, who claims to speak for the Taliban, claimed responsibility in a satellite phone call to an Associated Press reporter in Pakistan. Hanif said the attacker was an Afghan from Paktia province and threatened more attacks.

“Our mujahedeen will conduct similar attacks. We have prepared a group of self-sacrificing attackers,” he said.

Taniwal had been governor of Paktia for about one and half years. Before that he was federal minister of mines and industry in the Cabinet of President Hamid Karzai.

Taliban-led militants have increasingly adopted tactics reminiscent of insurgents in Iraq, including suicide attacks.

Collins said that the coalition had had intelligence that a bomber was in the city before Friday’s devastating attack near the U.S. Embassy but lacked a description of the attacker or the vehicle he was using.

“The coalition had intelligence that a suicide bomber was lurking in Kabul. What we didn’t have was a description of the attacker or license plate for his vehicle, but somehow I believe somewhere out there someone knew this guy and had information that could have saved a lot of lives that day had they reported it,” he said.

Meanwhile, in western province of Farah, more than 100 Taliban fighters raided a government compound, killing two policemen and setting fire to several buildings, said provincial police chief Sayed Agha.

Taliban fighters riding in pickup trucks and firing rocket-propelled grenades and AK-47 assault rifles attacked the compound in the town Kalaigar at about 1 a.m. on Sunday. They also burned two rooms of the compound and a health clinic in the town before fleeing.

Agha said the Taliban raid was the first in Kalaigar. Resurgent Taliban fighters have been most active in southern provinces. But attacks have started occurring in the west amid intense NATO military operations targeting Taliban in the south.

Separately, Taliban militants killed three Afghan soldiers and wounded eight in an ambush in southern Zabul province’s Shahjoy district Saturday, said Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimi.

Afghan authorities also found the body of a district education chief Saturday who was kidnapped by suspected militants in central Ghazni province, said Abdul Ali Faquri, a spokesman for the provincial governor.

U.S. soldiers killed two suspected militants Sunday in a mortar barrage in the eastern Kunar province’s village of Darbart after they had fired on an American-Afghan army patrol, said Command Sgt. Maj. Jimmy Carabello.

Associated Press writer Amir Shah contributed to this report.

well... the Talib are hard pressed to succeed in a head to head one on one fight against NATO or ANA troops so the only way they can minimize their losses and hopefuly cause some serious damages to our side is to use IEDs, VBIEDs and similar tactics

Back