• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Operation LENTUS – Domestic Operations 2018 - current [Merged]

The main bridge in to the base at Petawawa has been closed, as the local department of public works dumps truckloads of boulders to try to stop the raging river from further eroding the banks.

A massive operation is underway in Petawawa to save a key bridge. Rising flood waters are eroding an abutment on the Petawawa Boulevard Bridge, the main link between the town and the military base. Truckload after truckload of massive boulders is being dumped along an abutment in a frantic effort to save it from collapse. The swollen and now ferocious Petawawa River is chewing away at the concrete on the 45 year old structure

Lee Perkin is the Director of Public Works for the County of Renfrew, “Upstream, the river takes a sharp turn and with this much flow, it wants to go straight so it is undermining all the embankment behind us.”

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/petawawa-boulevard-bridge-closes-at-risk-of-collapse-1.4402275#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=s4xxnmF

I have many, many hours white water kayaking that stretch of River. This spring is going to change the rapids, just a bit...

dapaterson said:
The main bridge in to the base at Petawawa has been closed, as the local department of public works dumps truckloads of boulders to try to stop the raging river from further eroding the banks.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/petawawa-boulevard-bridge-closes-at-risk-of-collapse-1.4402275#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=s4xxnmF

Looks like 1972 déjà vu all over again.

:cheers:

And now there's a freezing rain warning for the whole area.

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=4b04147211a29a21&hl=en&gl=CA&source=wweather

That should help. Not.

Doug Ford is just giving a speech at the Muskoka Chamber of Commerce.  First thing he does is acknowledge, recognize and thank the CF for coming to the rescue “ like cavalry”.  It has been a long time since a Premier of Ontario has so consistently recognized the CF.

Soldiers in flood zone engage in germ warfare

Their enemy is E. coli, their weapons bleach and scrub brushes

Stu Mills · CBC News · Posted: May 04, 2019

mNuFTBg.jpg

Soldiers at Ottawa's Connaught Range disinfect army waders after a day in the flood zone. (Stu Mills/CBC)

At the Connaught Range near Shirley's Bay in west Ottawa, three soldiers are engaging with the enemy in hand-to-hand combat.

The weapon of choice in this battle: a plastic kitchen scrub brush normally applied to casserole dishes in the mess hall.

Their enemy is E. coli, a coliform bacterium commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms.

The worry is that as the Ottawa River overruns septic fields and sewer systems in the area, E. coli cells, which can survive outside the body for a limited amount of time, will mix with the water circulating around waders, boots and ungloved hands, and sicken the 700 or so soldiers helping with the flood effort here.

So far, the military says it's been winning the battle.

B7w3DcP.jpg

Army waders hang to dry in a heated building at Connaught Range. (Stu Mills/CBC)

A simple solution

Three large grey, Rubbermaid tubs sit on folding tables in the parking lot of a building on Brouillette Boulevard near the southwest corner of this sprawling training facility.

"It's a very simple solution," said Cpl. David Pickett.

In the first tub, dirty waders are scrubbed down with soapy water. They're then dunked in the middle tub and rinsed with clean water.

Finally, a third container containing one part bleach and 10 parts water is used to put the enemy out of its misery.

The clean equipment is then taken to hang dry in a building where a diesel-fuelled heater and fans have created a tropical environment.

"Hygiene is crucial," said Pickett, who hails from North Bay, Ont.

zeyQXhD.jpg

After they have been cleaned with soap and a mild bleach solution, soldiers hang the wet waders inside a heated building to dry. (Stu Mills/CBC)

Simple advice

The CFB Petawawa medical technician has training similar to that of a paramedic, and offers some simple advice to civilians who don't have decontamination stations of their own.

"Just shower at the end of every day. Make sure you're clean. Don't play in the water."

"To be honest, I'm not that worried," said Capt.James Bryan Fukakusa, the University of Ottawa-trained medical officer for operation LENTUS.

So far, the small field clinic at Connaught Range has dealt only with relatively minor injuries to the roughly 700 troops stationed here in tent-like shelters. It's been mostly sore backs, feet and hands, Fukakusa said.

"The kinds of things that I think a lot of Canadians are familiar with who have been working with sandbags — making them, putting them out into walls."

IzG9Kmq.jpg

Capt. James Bryan Fukakusa enters the field clinic where injured soldiers receive medical attention. (Stu Mills/CBC)

Handwashing crucial

Those with cuts or blisters should keep their wounds covered and dry, he said. If there is pain or swelling, they should seek medical attention.

One of the greatest dangers is inattention: soldiers who have been working in the dirty water and take a break for food or drink without first washing their hands.

"You need to treat [the water] as contaminated," agreed Michael Ferguson, Ottawa Public Health's health hazards response unit manager

OPH is directing anyone in the flood zone to consult a special web page.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/soldiers-flood-zone-engage-germ-warfare-1.5122493

I understand the context, but I don't think "germ warfare" is the right term...

The latest:  Hercs into NW Ontario to help evacuate folks from forest fire smoke ...
Today, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, made the following statement about wildfires and heavy smoke impacting the community of Pikangikum First Nation in Ontario:

"I received a request this morning from the Province of Ontario regarding the impact of nearby wildfires and heavy smoke from forest fires occurring in Western Canada on the community of Pikangikum First Nation. On behalf of the Government of Canada, the Associate Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, on behalf of the Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, and I have accepted their formal request for federal assistance to provide immediate evacuation resources to the affected communities. This Ontario request involves the deployment of Canadian Armed Forces personnel to provide transportation support for evacuation of members from the fly-in community of Pikangikum First Nation to a designated host community.

The Government Operations Centre has staff working to coordinate the federal response to the situation in Ontario. Officials are working closely with federal and provincial partners to coordinate and plan the full details of this assistance.

Canadians can be assured that all levels of government are working seamlessly together to deliver the required help ...
This from MSM ...
Emergency management officials in Ontario say they expect three flights using Canadian military aircraft will be at the core of evacuation efforts in Pikangikum First Nation in northern Ontario on Thursday as a large wildfire burning near the community prompted a state of emergency.

The MPP for the area said local leaders have told him some residents have left on their own.

The provincial government has arranged with a number of cities across northern Ontario to host evacuees, including Thunder Bay.

Officials in Pikangikum, a fly-in community located about 500 kilometres northwest of Thunder Bay, called for multiple planes Thursday morning to help people leave as a forest fire, known as Red lake 14, covered the First Nation in smoke and lit the sky red the night before.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry said early Thursday afternoon that the fire had grown from 12 hectares to 400 hectares in about a 24-hour period; it was over 3,000 hectares by early Thursday evening. Sol Mamakwa, the New Democrat MPP for the riding that includes Pikangikum, tweeted Thursday afternoon that the flames were threatening some homes ...

Alberta, too ...
The federal government says the military is going to help with Alberta’s wildfire fight.

Federal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says Alberta has asked for Canadian Forces assistance and the federal government has accepted the request.

Goodale says the military will be ready to help airlift evacuees as needed, as well as transport supplies and provide medical assistance ...
Via the info-machine ...
May 31, 2019 – Today, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, issued the following statement about wildfires in Alberta.

“I have received a request from the Province of Alberta, regarding the wildfire situation. On behalf of the Government of Canada, the Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Harjit Sajjan, and I have accepted their formal request for federal assistance to help citizens in need.

The Government Operations Centre has dedicated staff working to coordinate the federal response to the situation in Alberta. Officials are working closely with federal and provincial partners on planning the details of this assistance, including support from Canadian Armed Forces. The federal government will make air and ground resources available as necessary for evacuations and the delivery of aid and medical support. Citizens can rest assured that help will be provided ...

Latest iteration of Op LENTUS ...
... the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Honourable Ralph Goodale, announced that a request by the Province of Nova Scotia for federal assistance was approved to restore essential services and ensure public welfare in the wake of Hurricane Dorian.

The Canadian Armed Forces will answer the call to assist Canadians in their time of need. Up to 700 military personnel in Atlantic Canada are preparing to deploy as early as Sunday morning, September 8, 2019. Expected tasks will including moving quickly into affected communities to safeguard lives by assisting with the restoration of power services, clearing main roadways and evacuating residents in flooded or severely damaged areas.

The full impact of the storm remains unknown at this time, but the Canadian Armed Forces are committed to working with federal and provincial partners in order to mitigate the effects of the hurricane and keep Canadians safe.

Quotes

“We are fully committed to the task at hand to support Nova Scotia Emergency Management and will move quickly and with purpose to protect Canadians and mitigate the effects of Hurricane Dorian. As members of your community, this storm is our adversary just as much as it is yours.”

—  Commander Canadian Joint Operations Command Lieutenant-General Mike Rouleau

“In response to Hurricane Dorian, the Joint Task Force Atlantic team has been in close communication with our provincial and municipal colleagues to ensure we are ready to respond rapidly in support of civil authorities to help restore our communities back to normal. We have already taken steps to prepare forces to respond quickly as the storm passes.”

—  Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic, Rear-Admiral Craig Baines

Quick facts

Joint Task Force Atlantic is in close communications with Nova Scotia Emergency Management in supporting the preparations for Hurricane Dorian to understand where and how the CAF can assist. Liaison Officers are integrated into all emergency management organizations to expedite communications between organizations.

This is the fourth Operation LENTUS deployment for the CAF in 2019 and will be identified as Operation LENTUS 19-04.

Public Safety Canada is the lead agency for coordinating federal emergency response in Canada. CAF personnel are in continuous liaison with Public Safety, as well as with provincial authorities and our other federal partners ...

Dorian is about as close to a 'mirror image' of a hurricane in Sept 2019 as Juan was in Sept 2003.  Track, intensity etc.  Landfall was pretty much the exact same spot (officially).  I was in Halifax at the HQ for Juan...hopefully, the CAF response to Dorian wasn't the internal clusterfuck it was in Sept 2003.

I don't remember Juan affecting the greater Maritime region to the extent Dorian has...that could just be memory fade.  Seeing pictures from all across the region.  Some people are very, very lucky.

I have a few friends who were right in the path of the eye and close to the coastline, one of them was telling me what that was like (amazing thru all the damage, etc that cell service still works).  According to him, it was "neat" when you could see the eye wall and then not so neat when the southern end of it started throwing punches again.

I'll throw a positive note out for both the MyRadar and Windy weather apps on iPhone.  Very helpful and accurate.

I wasn't in the eye, but was adjacent to it.  Whatever category that was, and wind speeds were hitting the house making the whole thing vibrate, that is about the most I hope to ever experience, thank you very much Mother Nature. 

Most importantly...no loss of life reported yet and hoping it stays that way.

The center of the eye passed just south of Dartmouth as near as I can figure.  We were definitely in it because the winds were from the SE, then they went calm for 30 minutes, and then from the NW.  It was pretty disorganized as it went past and the eyewall had weakened... much weaker then Juan and nowhere near the damage.  Whole swaths of forest and most of Point Pleasant Park were taken out by Juan.

Didn't have any trees down or shingles off thankfully.  The power just flickered on for 5 seconds for the first time.  Been running the freezer on my Highlander Hybrid on an inverter all day.

There was one other major difference from Juan which had come in straight of the water from the south.  Dorian came in from the southwest.  The land between Chebucto Head and Peggy's Cove seemed to help it disorganized as it tracked over Halifax.  Prior to landfall the backside winds were stronger, but the back side was weaker as it passed over Dartmouth.

We had really heavy rain, but no real wind until just as it was getting dark;  powerful NW gusts.  First time I've felt a structure vibrate under my feet from wind.

A few shingles and power out is a pretty good deal!  Still no reports of loss of life, that makes today a good day.

There were the normal Darwin Award contestants out at Peggy's Cove... ::).  Some things never change....

I think the pic attached is the IRU showing up in Hfx today.  Odd to have the 36 CBG Comd there, not the Div Comd or JTFA Comd to do the grip and grin?

Attachments

• Grip n grin.jpg
    Grip n grin.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 124
Lived through Juan - lost power then for about 26 hours.

Lived through Dorian (or "Donair" now that it's left Halifax) and responded to a Battalion Recall to report to the Windsor Park Armouries today.

This storm was nothing like Juan.  The intensity was no-where near the same. 

I bought a chain-saw on Friday- assuming I'd be needing it today.

Turns out I was able to send my 3 kids out to pick up the sticks that fell.  We got power back at about 0130 hrs.

Chain saw's gonna get used to chop up something tomorrow...I'll find a way!

I won't bother going into the detail about what the Unit did today in terms of response - suffice to say we generated troops that responded first thing this morning and were DAG'd, Class C'd and ready to move with 24 hrs of rations in hand, and chain-saws ready to go before noon.

NS

You guys seem to be focused solely on the 'core HRM area'.  I'm thinking a little bit bigger picture.  I was in Elmsdale during Juan, didn't really get the punch out there.

https://www.facebook.com/kalinCTV/photos/a.448904781813636/2416185755085519/?type=3&theater

Given all the variables and possibilities...these 2 storms were actually pretty close.

NavyShooter said:
I won't bother going into the detail about what the Unit did today in terms of response - suffice to say we generated troops that responded first thing this morning and were DAG'd, Class C'd and ready to move with 24 hrs of rations in hand, and chain-saws ready to go before noon.

NS

That's excellent work, right there  :salute:

The O-Group I attended at 2130 last evening had discussions about many areas outside of HRM - yesterday's work was pushed out in the local area because of proximity to the base and IRU. 

One of the discussion points was the MKT's that came along - there's 3 present, one from the SvcBn in Willow Park - the 2 that came with the IRU are both available to be pushed out to where the troops will be working - and both Lawrencetown and Sydney were mentioned in discussions.  So, the reach of the response will be broad, and not solely focused on the city itself, and in the very first day's plans, the entire breadth of the province was discussed and considered.

NS

Back