• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

Eye In The Sky said:
So, if it's hard or difficult, leave it for someone else?  Imagine if the world continued to do that in say, 1939ish...would have been a great ending no?

If we pull out of the MESF now, how long will it be before the Liberals and NDP are yacking that the Conservatives are 'doing nothing and letting innocent people die"? 

Point - no matter what the PM and government do, the Liberals and NDP will say it is wrong and not enough.

I'm just waiting for the day JT starts claiming that we should have been and he would be dropping life jackets in addition to parkas.

The image of 3-year old Kurdi is heart-wrenching.

If a building were on fire you could either focus your attention on having the fire-fighters hold out rescue nets for people to jump into to escape the flames, or the fire-fighters could focus their efforts at putting out the flames at their source.

Helping immigrants cross the Mediterrainean is the former.  Canada, wrongly in the eyes of many, has currently chosen the latter.  I agree with the latter, but do consider that elements of the former could be done better.

The problem with not fighting the fire at its source is that the fire will tend to increase in size and endanger other buildings and risk more people's lives. 

In the end, we as a Nation deserve whichever government we chose to elect in six weeks' time.

I have little confidence the the Liberal or NDP plan to withdraw from direct action at the source of The Da'esh's flames will decrease the human suffering of Syrian and Iraqi refugees...

G2G

Eye In The Sky said:
You aren't seeming to get it.  Canada can have all the 'strategy' revamped by the Liberals IF they win an election.  It will only (maybe) change a few things, Canada is NOT...NOT driving the big happy MESF bus.  We have a seat on the bus, if we don't like the way they bus is going we have the choice to get off, or stay.  The Coach Master is the GOI.

Again, the current strategy isn’t working so we need to revamp it. As I've already mentioned here, we should be keep removing the ideologues/leaders of the ISIS, the (cephalothorax) of the spider, but it seems like MESF is committed to fighting with its legs. Wonder how many ISIS leaders have you removed so far? And I don’t buy your crap that GOI is the so-called “coach master”. Why don’t you tell them that beggars can't be choosers?

Tuan said:
........ Wonder how many ISIS leaders have you removed so far? ............

Several.  It takes time to track and identify the leadership of IS, but with dedication and hard work, it is being done.  If you for some reason think it is a simple matter, then you are truly naive.

Tuan said:
Again, the current strategy isn’t working so we need to revamp it. As I've already mentioned here, we should be keep removing the ideologues/leaders of the ISIS, the (cephalothorax) of the spider, but it seems like MESF is committed to fighting with its legs. Wonder how many ISIS leaders have you removed so far? And I don’t buy your crap that GOI is the so-called “coach master”. Why don’t you tell them that beggars can't be choosers?

Official: local ISIS leader killed in western Mosul
http://rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/030920151

No. 2 ISIS leader killed by air strike in Iraq, White House says
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/no-2-isis-leader-killed-by-air-strike-in-iraq-white-house-says-1.2527880

http://www.scmagazine.com/isis-hacking-leader-killed-by-drone-strike/article/435372/
http://www.scmagazine.com/isis-hacking-leader-killed-by-drone-strike/article/435372/

Afghan agency: ISIS leader killed in drone strike
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/11/asia/isis-leader-killed-afghanistan/

SAS go into Syria to kill ISIS chief: UK 'boots on the ground' for ferocious joint US gunbattle that killed terror financier Abu Sayaff
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190731/SAS-Syria-kill-chief-UK-boots-ground-ferocious-joint-gunbattle-killed-terror-financier-Abu-Sayaff.html

This is just in the past few weeks.  You sound like the typical 24 year old, political science student who probably still lives in his Mom's basement, but has all the answers  ::).  You come on here and argue with a bunch of career soldiers, many of whom have extensive experience operating in many of the worlds worst places conducting all sorts of different missions (disaster response, peacekeeping and warfighting). 

Why do you think the current strategy isn't working?  What sort of actual evidence do you have to back that sort of statement up or is this just your opinion?  Do you even know what the current strategy is?

Good2Golf said:
The image of 3-year old Kurdi is heart-wrenching.

If a building were on fire you could either focus your attention on having the fire-fighters hold out rescue nets for people to jump into to escape the flames, or the fire-fighters could focus their efforts at putting out the flames at their source.

Helping immigrants cross the Mediterrainean is the former.  Canada, wrongly in the eyes of many, has currently chosen the latter.  I agree with the latter, but do consider that elements of the former could be done better.

The problem with not fighting the fire at its source is that the fire will tend to increase in size and endanger other buildings and risk more people's lives. 

In the end, we as a Nation deserve whichever government we chose to elect in six weeks' time.

I have little confidence the the Liberal or NDP plan to withdraw from direct action at the source of The Da'esh's flames will decrease the human suffering of Syrian and Iraqi refugees...

G2G

You know the worst part about this G2G?  The kid that drowned is Kurdish, aka the one group of people the Canadian government is actually trying to support!  Probably the only group over there that deserves any sort of support. 

Tuan said:
And I don’t buy your crap that GOI is the so-called “coach master”. Why don’t you tell them that beggars can't be choosers?

You are kidding right?  Look, the Government of Iraq is playing a huge part in running the show, you'd be surprised how much control they have (after all it is their country), MESF is responding to a request from them (Iraq).  This is unlike the war a few years ago where the US just showed up and started kicking ass.

This is not going to happen overnight, I will also point out that our current strategy has worked as the advance was halted.  I can't sit here and magically give every ISF soldier in Iraq Abu Azrael  sized balls, but in all honesty that's what they need, they are fighting an enemy who has no fear.  Which is why they are capable of over running towns with 12 guys, one side has fear, one does not (my opinion).

Dolphin_Hunter said:
You are kidding right?  Look, the Government of Iraq is playing a huge part in running the show, you'd be surprised how much control they have (after all it is their country), MESF is responding to a request from them (Iraq).  This is unlike the war a few years ago where the US just showed up and started kicking ***.

This is not going to happen overnight, I will also point out that our current strategy has worked as the advance was halted.  I can't sit here and magically give every ISF soldier in Iraq Abu Azrael  sized balls, but in all honesty that's what they need, they are fighting an enemy who has no fear.  Which is why they are capable of over running towns with 12 guys, one side has fear, one does not (my opinion).

Something tells me DH that Tuan only believes what he wants to hear.  Trying to explain to him how a multi-national military operation actually works is probably a waste of effort.

http://www.france24.com/en/20150828-video-reporter-embedded-with-french-troops-sahel-desert?ns_campaign=reseaux_sociaux&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=editorial&aef_campaign_ref=partage_aef&aef_campaign_date=2015-08-27&dlvrit=66745

Linked is a video of French soldiers working with Nigerien soldiers in the Sahel.  Watch in Tuan, maybe you'll learn something?

According to reports, so far Abu Hussain the hacker of ISIS, Haji Mutazz the deputy of ISIS and Junaid Hussain the recruiter of the ISIS have been removed, which is significance.

I know it is NOT an easy task; it needs meticulous planning, painstaking preparation and accurate and effective execution. That’s why I said, “intelligence is the capital” in counterterrorism operations. In order to acquire complete picture of the ISIS we have to engineer a defection within ISIS. A few renegades, so “ponder the improbable” instead of attacking me, will ya?

Moreover, this is an open forum thus, for OPSEC/PERSEC reasons I won’t discuss further details here, follow me? I don’t know the ROE, TOE, TTP and so on because I am an average Canadian who is projecting ideas from OSINT. However if you take me in I will tell y’all what to do. Period.

Tuan said:
Moreover, this is an open forum thus, for OPSEC/PERSEC reasons I won’t discuss further details here, follow me? I don’t know the ROE, TOE, TTP and so on because I am an average Canadian who is projecting ideas from OSINT. However if you take me in I will tell y’all what to do. Period.

???

Tuan said:
...However if you take me in I will tell y’all what to do. Period.

As with all of us, you're passing on your opinion on the internet...then again, you seem to know so much, that maybe the PM should have you replace Mr. Fadden, as the National Security Advisor.

Tuan said:
According to reports, so far Abu Hussain the hacker of ISIS, Haji Mutazz the deputy of ISIS and Junaid Hussain the recruiter of the ISIS have been removed, which is significance.

I know it is NOT an easy task; it needs meticulous planning, painstaking preparation and accurate and effective execution. That’s why I said, “intelligence is the capital” in counterterrorism operations. In order to acquire complete picture of the ISIS we have to engineer a defection within ISIS. A few renegades, so “ponder the improbable” instead of attacking me, will ya?

Your credibility is in a nosedive now, buds.

Go and read a little bit on here about this sort of approach and how it's fared in the past.

Scott
Staff

Just the other day, I watched the movie “Thirteen Days” and pondered and wondered how far the United States came from the Cuban missile crisis to the fall of Soviet Union.

The point is the world is between conformist and non-conformists. Liberals and Realists. Realists believe might is right, but intelligence says knowledge is power, another word for might, so there is always a chance for a small man to make a big difference, after all it took a small child to inform the mighty King that he was naked  ;)

Oh, I get it...you're going for the Internet Troll of the Year Award. 

E.R. Campbell said:
But, my personal experience is that my East and South Asian colleagues and friends seemed to have fewer community problems than my Arab/Middle Eastern colleagues; one of my Arab-Canadian friends told us that he had withdrawn almost completely from any Islamic community organizations, cutting himself off from some of his own famiuly: he has three daughters and he explained that they could not grow to their full human potential if they were exposed to the influences of mosques and community organizations. I don't recall any of our Chinese or Indian colleagues saying anything similar, ever, not even about Hindu-Sikh problems.

What you describe is a troubling aspect of how some Islamic organizations have evolved. Islam is due for a Reformation, but I don't know if it'll get worse before better. An Iranian gentleman of my aquaintance (a settled refugee from the Ayatollahs' regime) made similar comments about certain areas of Ottawa "look like Saudi Arabia."

There are similar community tensions in the South Asian and Asian communities. A different sort of extreme, perhaps, but it's there. You may remember the tea kettle bomb in BC some time ago.

I'll have to ask my wife when it was dropped, but there used to be a section of an immigration file called "adaptability." It was an entirely subjective entry made by the immigration officer, which may be why it was dropped, but it helped screen out immigrants who held views or participated in practices that are against what are generally held as our Canadian values. In at least one case that she described to me (without specifics) she explained how she was able to "mark down" a Syrian gent who demanded to "see the man in charge of my file" when my wife insisted he stop answering questions for his wife who was in the interview booth with him. She gently explained that she was the man in charge of his file, and that he would have a great deal of difficulty living in Canada where he could find himself subordinate to a woman.

I think the current issue with refugees is one of approach. We have, in the past, taken refugees without the promise of citizenship. In fact, not all want it (the man who lost is family is returning to Kobani - Canada was a place of safety for his wife and kids, not home). Many Lebanese returned as soon as the Taif Accord was inked. I don't know how it would hold up legally, but perhaps we need to create some sort of status that provides for equality, but is forfeit when the refugee returns home. Anyone wanting to stay has to go through the regular immigration application process.

The other analogy posted above, about firefighters holding nets for people to jump from the buring building or fighting the fire is a false dichotomy. Ask a firefighter - they do both. So can we. We don't have to take them all (that would be absurd), just as we don't need to be the only "firefighters" trying to put out the flames.

Merkel has said Germany could absorb 800,000 of the refugees  :eek:. That's nearly 1% of their population. By that metric we should be able to absorb 300,000, though I would suggest we could absorb 50k without even noticing. Yes, refugees are harder to integrate than those who want to come here, but it's not impossible.

Tuan said:
"Mulcair dismissed military action, specifically Canada’s current bombing campaign in Syria and Iraq, as a solution to the flood of refugees that is overwhelming Europe and galvanizing worldwide public attention...."

Thomas Mulcair dismisses Canada’s military involvement in Syria and Iraq as a solution to the refugee crisis

That tells me one thing.  Thomas Mulcair is not part of the solution; but part of the problem.

Permitting IS to spread and force more people to flee the area, does not decrease the problem of refugees and migrants.  It has the opposite affect.  An even greater refugee and migrant problem is the result.

I hope that I am not too optimistic to hope that most Canadians can see this.

Gents,
We don't have to agree with each other, but let’s put the personal insults away.

Tuan said:
Again, the current strategy isn’t working so we need to revamp it. As I've already mentioned here, we should be keep removing the ideologues/leaders of the ISIS, the (cephalothorax) of the spider, but it seems like MESF is committed to fighting with its legs. Wonder how many ISIS leaders have you removed so far?

Who the fuck is 'we' and why are you including yourself in this equation?  I don't think I saw you flying over the badlands.  Maybe you were tucked away in the pannier?  Musta been cold on those 3rd block trips!! (I know you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so it just reinforces my very valid point that you really don't know SFA about what you're talking about). 

You don't have a sweet fuckin' clue WHAT MESF is really doing; you rely on 'open source int' and news reports.  ::)  But, in short, the MESF is doing what the GOI is asking it to do.  Again IT IS NOT AN OCCUPATION FORCE. 

And I don’t buy your crap that GOI is the so-called “coach master”. Why don’t you tell them that beggars can't be choosers?

I exist in a dark little place called the 'tactical level'.  My job is to do my job where I go, provide advice and guidance where I can on the areas I am (supposed) to be a SME in, to the people who expect it from me, and to keep my shit wired tight, so I can continue to do my job.  I subscribe to the 'beggars can't be choosers' stuff sometimes, like when I am trying to give away some good used clothing to a needy person, but not so much when the situation isn't about clothes, its about killing and torturing innocent people and helping that kind of nasty shit be stopped.  That's just me. 

See, now you're just becoming petty because (1) you don't have a clue what is really going on (2) you think some stuff from Sri Lanka applies that no one really gives 2 flying fucks about and (3) you can't accept that fact that your pretty plan of neatly separating spider legs and heads doesn't ACTUALLY work all neat and tidy like it does in your "how to beat ISIS for Dummies" plan. 

I don't care if you 'buy' that the GOI is the driver of the bus.  You can believe that it's really Mork from Ork who is in command for all I care.  You can try all the Na-nu Na-nu tricks you want; the fact remains and will remain that the GOI is overall in charge of the business taking place in their own country.  Sure there are influences and all that jazz but at the end of the day...the GOI is responsible, the same as the GOC is here in good ol Canada-land.

MORK-AND-MINDY---1970s----010.jpg

People have been trying to get you to see and understand things aren't all neat and tidy in the real world like they are in your head WRT this theatre.  You keep ignoring them.  It's really okay to just accept the fact there are people on here who know what they're talking about from experience.  Those on here who have experience specifically in this theatre aren't, can't and won't talk about it on here -you'll just have to accept their credibility or continue to piss people off by insisting this spider head-and-leg thing really is magical stuff, you are smart, have it all figured out while the rest of us just haven't seen the light yet.

Back