• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op IMPACT: CAF in the Iraq & Syria crisis

From Vice News:

On Tuesday morning, Prime Minister Stephen Harper unveiled his plan to extend his bombing campaign against the Islamic State, putting Canada on a short list of nations that have opted to launch airstrikes against the strongholds near the caliphate's capital.

Harper announced that Canada would be contributing personnel and planes to the mission until March 2016, and that Canadian fighter jets would be hitting targets in Syria for the first time.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-canadian-government-is-about-to-start-bombing-the-islamic-state-in-syria

Kurds invite Canada to take part in Doiron death investigation:
The Kurdistan Region’s Ministry of Peshmerga has announced that they are waiting for the results of an investigation into the death of a Canadian soldier, and the wounding of three others.

In a statement released on 17th March, the Peshmerga Ministry says that investigations are ongoing, and invited Canadian authorities to take part in the inquiry ....

By Terry Glavin:

Some sense of proportion: The death toll of 158 Canadian soldiers during more than a decade of hard-won gains in Afghanistan is only slightly greater than the number of dead Muslims — 137 innocents at last count – butchered in a single jihadist suicide bombing last week at a mosque in Yemen. Some further proportion: the contribution Prime Minister Harper is making to the half-baked U.S.-led coalition is only another year’s modest commitment of a mere half-dozen Canadian fighter jets, a couple of Aurora patrol planes and a Polaris transport plane, a ground crew and a few dozen Special Operations Regiment advisers and trainers up in Kurdistan.

You’d think we were invading Russia.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/25/terry-glavin-opposition-is-selling-fairy-tales-on-the-mission-against-isis-canadians-are-not-so-gullible/

And Canada becomes the first western country that's also a US ally to approve air strikes against ISIS in Syria; until now the only nations joining the US air strikes over Syria had been Arab nations like the UAE and the Saudis:

Reuters

Canadian Parliament backs air strikes on Islamic State in Syria
Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:05pm EDT

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian legislators on Monday voted to back the government's plans to bomb Islamic State positions in Syria, a move that opposition parties say threatens to drag Canada into a long war.

The House of Commons approved the plan 142-129. The result was never in doubt, since the ruling Conservatives have a majority in the chamber.

The vote also approved the extension of Canada's six-month mission by a year to the end of March 2016.

Canada has around 70 special forces troops in northern Iraq and six Canadian jets are taking part in U.S.-led bombing attacks against Islamic State in Iraq.

(...SNIPPED)

From:  http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/isis-mission-mps-pass-motion-to-support-extension-expansion-into-syria-1.3014511
Should they form government, the NDP have said they'd immediately pull Canada out of the bombing campaign, and Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau has said he would do the same.

The Liberals, would, however, increase the number of soldiers sent to train Iraqis to fight ISIS.

But with no clear end goal for the bombing mission, Trudeau said Monday, it's not one his party can support.

"Will our involvement in this mission end next March, or was the foreign affairs minister being more truthful when he explicitly compared this war to Afghanistan, saying that we are in this for the longer term," Trudeau said.  "We cannot allow rhetorical appeals to moral clarity to disguise the absence of a plan."

Among other things, Trudeau called for a massive expansion of Canada's resettlement program for refugees from the conflict and for more Canadian soldiers to be involved in training Iraqi forces.
What would an expanded resettlement program be?  Is that solving the region's problems by exporting its victims to Canada, or building new cities in neighbouring countries?

A bigger training mission would probably make a few people happy.  It could create opportunity for the Army to join the RCAF and CANSOFCOM with a visible role in this mission.

From former CDS, Gen (Ret'd) Rick Hillier on FB:

Some of those who are elected to political office, in our Parliament, as our leaders should be ashamed today. 37 of them could not find it a high enough priority to be in the House of Commons when Parliament voted to extend and expand the mission against ISIL. They could not prioritize their lives and schedules sufficiently to be there when that most sacred trust - sending Canada's sons and daughters in harms way, to do violent things on our behalf - was decided. Shame on you. I'd like to hear each of them explain their priorities and why they could not be in the House to each of the moms and dads, husbands and wives and children of those we are sending and who there now. It pisses me off!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ex-general-rick-hillier-angry-at-mp-no-shows-for-isis-vote-1.3016401

Vote for it, vote against it, whatever.  At least show up to work and do your job.

Dimsum said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ex-general-rick-hillier-angry-at-mp-no-shows-for-isis-vote-1.3016401

Vote for it, vote against it, whatever.  At least show up to work and do your job.

Retired B/Gen Gordon O'Conner was one of the MIA.  I am disgusted by his missing the vote.  Pathetic.

Dimsum said:

I see Rick's lost none of his bombast.  Telling though that the majority of unjustified absences were from the government benches.  Very few unjustified absences on the Liberal and NDP benches.  Make of that what you will.

cavalryman said:
I see Rick's lost none of his bombast.  Telling though that the majority of unjustified absences were from the government benches.  Very few unjustified absences on the Liberal and NDP benches.  Make of that what you will.

MPs routinely do something called "pairing:" when one MP wants to/needs to miss a vote he will ask an MP from the opposite side to "pair" with him and also miss it, thus keeping the results in balance. It is good, accepted parliamentary practice. I didn't count the votes but I'm wiling to bet that many of the no shows were properly paired.

E.R. Campbell said:
MPs routinely do something called "pairing:" when one MP wants to/needs to miss a vote he will ask an MP from the opposite side to "pair" with him and also miss it, thus keeping the results in balance. It is good, accepted parliamentary practice. I didn't count the votes but I'm wiling to bet that many of the no shows were properly paired.

Math doesn't quite add up for the no shows being paired to miss;
19 members of the governing party missed the vote, whereas only 9 members of the oppostion, both NDP and Liberals weren't there to vote.

*Edit: counted again, and with independent no shows the number for opposing absent members is 13.  I'm working on my ABC's this week, I'll practice my numbers a bit more later.

The CBC article said that no "pairs" were recorded, which I took to mean that (it appears that) there were no pairs.  I have seen pairing recorded in Hansard when it happens...

Just checked Hansard.  It shows pairs as "nil" for the vote.

Privateer said:
The CBC article said that no "pairs" were recorded, which I took to mean that (it appears that) there were no pairs.  I have seen pairing recorded in Hansard when it happens...

Just checked Hansard.  It shows pairs as "nil" for the vote.

Then I suspect some CPC MPs are going to be in trouble because my understanding was that the PM wanted a double line whip on this vote.

From what I can see, they are mostly the B or even the C team members.......

GAP said:
From what I can see, they are mostly the B or even the C team members.......
I'd say three cabinet ministers are more than just B Team members not voting.  We'll see how much trouble they get into - or not - for not showing up.

Article / March 30, 2015

By: Air Task Force – Iraq Public Affairs

CAMP PATRICE VINCENT, KUWAIT—Canada’s military commitment to the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant includes the deployment of Air Task Force Iraq (ATF-I), consisting of several aircraft types and crews who operate over hostile portions of Iraq every day.

These dedicated aircrew are highly trained to conduct their missions in support of the Middle East Stabilization Force, including mandatory advanced training in survival, evasion, resistance to interrogation, and escape; also known as SERE training. While Op IMPACT RCAF aircrew are fully trained in SERE and Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) procedures, the desert environment poses its own unique challenges, including lack of cover from potential enemy forces and hot weather that can quickly cause dehydration.

To help keep their SERE skills at their peak, ATF-I aircrew recently joined several Coalition aircrew to participate in a CSAR exercise, known as the  “SHAMAL SERIALS”, led by the U.S. Army’s 34th Combat Aviation Brigade in Kuwait. The ATF-I aircrew who participated in this exercise were a mix of pilots, air combat systems officers, and airborne electronic sensor operators.

“Overall, the feeling I got from the eight members of my crew who participated was quite positive; they learned quite a bit about CSAR and really enjoyed their experience,” said a CP-140 Aurora aircraft commander with ATF-I’s Long Range Patrol Detachment.

The day-long exercise took place in a barren training area equipped with mock-up villages and ranges. Participants were dropped off by helicopter in the desert and made their way on foot between training stations.  At each stop, the participants received instruction from American experts in personnel recovery.

The ATF-I aircrew were able to refresh their skills using a ground-to-air radio to call for help and extraction, as well as practice their emergency first aid skills through the use of tourniquets and other field dressings.  Aircrew also practiced more traditional skills such as shooting compass bearings and using a mirror to signal rescue aircraft in the event their radio was lost or damaged.

“The practical demonstrations of the teaching points greatly enhanced learning,” said one captain. “This included the use of actual AH-64 Apache helicopters when calling for Emergency Close Air Support (ECAS).”

The ECAS station was taught by Joint Terminal Attack Controllers of the United States Air Force.  The purpose of ECAS is to provide combat air support to downed aircrew, protecting their escape or location until rescue aircraft can arrive.  The training involved exercise participants locating and describing targets in a mock-up village and requesting Apache gunship support.

U.S. Army instructors concluded the exercise serials by providing advice on tactical drills when escaping from an urban area, as well as marksmanship principles during a live-fire 9mm pistol range to prepare aircrew in the event that they have to defend themselves. With the pistol shoots complete, aircrew then walked to a designated rendezvous where they were extracted by helicopter for evacuation back to camp.

“This exercise took two months to plan and we usually try to do at least one serial a month for our pilots,” said a US 34th Combat Aviation Brigade Sergeant 1st Class who helped plan the event. “We typically run them to requalify our own members, predominantly helicopter crews; but we were happy to learn that the Canadians and [other coalition members] were able to come this time.”

Article and images link

Canada's first air strike in Syria is complete.  Two CF-18 joined eight other allied aircraft, hitting an ISIS garrison.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/isis-mission-canada-conducts-1st-airstrike-in-syria-1.3025559

From the Info-machine:
Today, Canada's CF-18 Hornets conducted their first airstrike in Syria since the Government’s decision to extend and expand Operation IMPACT, Canada’s military contribution to the US-led coalition against the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

Following the planning and coordination process conducted with our coalition partners, two Canadian CF-18s, using precision-guided munitions, were involved in an airstrike against an ISIL garrison near Ar Raqqah, Syria. A total of 10 coalition aircraft, including six aircraft from the US were involved in this airstrike ....

jollyjacktar said:
Retired B/Gen Gordon O'Conner was one of the MIA.  I am disgusted by his missing the vote.  Pathetic.

Have you called or emailed to ask where he was? Some of them were across the world (i.e. Vietnam) on legitimate parliamentary business. Mr. O'Connor has had health problems owing to his age. *Hopefully* they all had a valid reason.

Another piece on the Aurora from Matthew Fisher on the National Post, and yes the "C-140" is a typo:

During a recent seven-hour intelligence-gathering mission that mostly took place to the west and north of Baghdad, the C-140 Aurora crew that Brig. Gen. Daniel Constable flew with observed an intense firefight between the jihadist fighters and Iraqi security forces near the disputed town of Fallujah.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/flying-with-the-canadians-fighting-isil-from-above-iraq-and-syria

Back