• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op CARIBBE Highlights (merged)

NCRCrow

Inactive
Reaction score
http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1109036.html
Warship helped catch cocaine boat

By CHRIS LAMBIE Staff Reporter
Sun. Mar 1 - 5:38 AM
A Halifax-based warship helped nab a small boat laden with 600 kilograms of cocaine off the northeastern coast of South America earlier this month, the military has announced.

On Feb. 9, HMCS Montreal assisted the French warship FV Ventose to intercept a drug smuggler’s "go-fast" boat carrying $30 million worth of cocaine, the navy said Friday in a news release.

The Ventose delivered the smugglers and the seized drugs to police authorities in Martinique after sinking the small boat so it would not present a hazard to marine traffic.

An Aurora aircraft, most of which are based at 14 Wing Greenwood, also played a role on Jan. 15 in tracking a self-propelled semi-submersible craft off the northwestern Atlantic coast of South America.

The military says these low-profile boats are one of the latest methods used in the region to smuggle drugs.

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter seized the craft, which was carrying seven metric tonnes of cocaine valued at $242 million.

The crew and vessel of the boat were taken to Florida for prosecution.

The missions were part of Operation Caribbe. According to the military, the operation has supported drug busts in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific Ocean that stopped $272 million worth of cocaine from reaching the streets of North America in 2009.

Canadian warships and military aircraft have been participating in U.S.-led counter-drug operations off the southern approaches to North America since 2006.

"Every day the men and women of the Canadian Forces contribute directly to the safety and security of Canadians right here at home," Vice-Admiral Dean McFadden, commander of Canada Command, said in a news release.

"Through a range of domestic and continental operations, the Canadian Forces are also helping to strengthen the 21st-century defence and security architecture needed to keep Canadians secure."

From the Canadian Press via Yahoo News

Canadian military helps U.S. seize 1.1 tonnes of cocaine in eastern Pacific

OTTAWA - The Department of National Defence says the Canadian Forces has assisted the United States Coast Guard in seizing more than 1.1 tonnes of cocaine in the eastern Pacific Ocean.

During a search of a suspect vessel on Oct. 25, crew members from HMCS Edmonton and a U.S. law enforcement team uncovered 639 kilograms of cocaine.

Two days later, the same team tracked and boarded another suspect vessel, seizing 468 kilograms of cocaine from the ship and from bags that were thrown overboard by the crew.

Officials say that in both cases, the initial detection of the suspect vessel was made by a Canadian CP-140 Aurora aircraft as part of Operation Caribbe.

HMCS Edmonton is based at Esquimalt, B.C., while the CP-140 Aurora aircraft is based at 19 Wing Comox, B.C.

Lt.-Gen. Stu Beare says the seizures demonstrate the ability of the Canadian Armed Forces to suppress illicit trafficking.

"Our air and naval assets are once again clearly demonstrating that we are highly capable of working side-by-side with our allies, combating transnational organized crime and protecting Canadians," Beare said in a release.

Operation Caribbe is Canada's contribution to Operation Martillo, a U.S.-led interagency and multinational effort among Western Hemisphere and European nations, designed to improve regional security and deter criminal activity.

Canada has deployed naval and air assets as part of Operation Caribbe since 2006.

It's about time the LRP community gets credit for their role in these drug busts.  We'll done!

Dolphin_Hunter said:
It's about time the LRP community gets credit for their role in these drug busts.  We'll done!
Well, the alternative was crediting the dirty, dirty shads on the MCDV, so they were stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place.  ;D

Pusser said:
The real irony here is that I believe it may have been EDMONTON that was the centre of a large drug bust a few years ago, only that time it was the other way around.  Several key crew members were found to be ringleaders.

I think that was SASKATOON.

An "atta boy" from the Minister of Defence in the House of Commons:
Mr. Speaker, our government is committed to working with our allies to combat crime at home and abroad and to enhancing international security.

The HMCS Edmonton, along with the Royal Canadian Air Force Aurora, was involved with the seizure of more than one tonne of cocaine over two days in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Just like the work done by the HMCS Toronto, this is a great example of the Canadian armed forces demonstrating leadership abroad and ensuring our security at home by keeping illicit drugs from entering our country.

I am sure all hon. members will join me in extending a Bravo Zulu to our men and women in uniform.

News release from DND:

Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Glace Bay recovered 97 bales of cocaine during a patrol in the Caribbean Basin, as part of Operation CARIBBE, on March 15, 2014.

Quick Facts

HMCS Glace Bay, in cooperation with her embarked U.S. Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment (USCG LEDET), identified a suspect fishing vessel while patrolling the Caribbean Sea. The USCG LEDET boarded the vessel but did not find contraband onboard.

The fishing vessel caught fire and the USCG LEDET disembarked six crewmembers from their vessel after the fire spread from the engine room to the fuel tank causing the vessel to sink.

A subsequent search of the general area located approximately 97 bales containing approximately 2,400 kilograms of cocaine – worth an estimated $80 million wholesale – floating in the water.
This marks HMCS Glace Bay ‘s first case involving an illicit narcotics shipment since beginning her participation on Operation CARIBBE earlier this month.

– Operation CARIBBE is Canada’s support to Operation MARTILLO – a multinational, joint, combined, and interagency effort by the nations of
the Western Hemisphere and Europe to prevent illicit trafficking in the Caribbean basin, the eastern Pacific Ocean and the littoral waters of Central America.

Excellent work!

Are the MCDVs deployed on CARIBBE manned by Cl C reservists?

Brihard said:
Excellent work!

Yes they certainly are. I was on Glace Bay a couple of weeks ago working them up, a fine crew.

Brihard said:
Excellent work!

In fact, except for their limited speed, the small combatants (MCDVs) maybe be better for this sort of duty than are the heavies; they are certainly cheaper on a day-by-day and mile-by-mile basis.

BZ!  I'll always have a soft spot for GLA since I did most of my pre-BWK training on her with the Senator.  That pretty much sealed the deal that I would enjoy the military.

Dimsum said:
BZ!  I'll always have a soft spot for GLA since I did most of my pre-BWK training on her with the Senator.  That pretty much sealed the deal that I would enjoy the military.

The Senator eh, haven't heard that name for a few years ;D

E.R. Campbell said:
In fact, except for their limited speed, the small combatants (MCDVs) maybe be better for this sort of duty than are the heavies; they are certainly cheaper on a day-by-day and mile-by-mile basis.

True the cost to operate a MCDV is very low compared to a CPF. If the ship was fitted with a stabilized electro-optical infrared camera system and a scan eagle its capability would increase significantly.

Chief Stoker said:
True the cost to operate a MCDV is very low compared to a CPF. If the ship was fitted with a stabilized electro-optical infrared camera system and a scan eagle its capability would increase significantly.

I'm not trying to reopen a thread where we've discussed this, at length, I'm just expressing my confidence in the capabilities of the small combatants ~ and their crews.

E.R. Campbell said:
I'm not trying to reopen a thread where we've discussed this, at length, I'm just expressing my confidence in the capabilities of the small combatants ~ and their crews.

Certainly, I have worked many years with the smaller ships of the RCN and know what they are capable of. This just confirms what I have been saying for years about versatility of the class and crews.

Back