• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a Conservative minority wouldn't last three months before the Liberals tender a non-confidence motion.

The amount of money the Liberals wasted, controversies and shady deals are just incredible.

Maybe it's time for a premier who isn't your typical politician.

Jarnhamar said:

That is what Doug accuses others of.

In this case, Mayor Tory - who defeated him.

Three years later, Doug had this to say about Mayor Tory,

"He is a typical politician that is continuing to look to gouge the little guy."
https://www.cp24.com/doug-ford-to-participate-in-town-hall-on-proposed-budget-says-he-is-still-considering-mayoral-run-1.3281189

Assuming Mayor Tory is re-elected to City Hall this, and Doug gets in at Queen's Park - the next few years should be interesting.  :)

ModlrMike said:
I think a Conservative minority wouldn't last three months before the Liberals tender a non-confidence motion.
That would be a boon for the Tories. The reason why Harper's minority lasted so long was Canadians don't like elections, and to call one 3 months later would sour the last liberal supporters into staying home. Not to mention any election loss for the liberals is going to have them wanting to clean house after 15 years of nepotism and political favours.

PuckChaser said:
That would be a boon for the Tories. The reason why Harper's minority lasted so long was Canadians don't like elections, and to call one 3 months later would sour the last liberal supporters into staying home. Not to mention any election loss for the liberals is going to have them wanting to clean house after 15 years of nepotism and political favours.

Not to mention that if the NDP is the official opposition that they won't want to rock the boat too soon.

Election of Doug Ford as PC leader offers Ontario only 'Toronto-centric' options, says mayor
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/doug-ford-pc-ontario-windsor-essex-1.4571935
"McNamara questions Ford's comprehension of provincial issues outside of the Toronto area."

Other than the summer compound in the Muskokas, business in Chicago, and Florida vacations, I doubt Doug has much out of town knowledge. 

His political experience was limited to Ward 2.
https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/97dc-W2map.pdf

Jarnhamar said:

That was what was said about Trump and l concurred at the time.  I have since been eating a ton of crow.  I hope Ontarians don't get into that diet down the road too after June.  Which is to say regardless of who wins they don't suffer buyer's regret.

jollyjacktar said:
...[R]egardless of who wins they don't will suffer buyer's regret.

At least, that's my take on it, as someone who's going to experience it first hand.

dapaterson said:
At least, that's my take on it, as someone who's going to experience it first hand.

Sadly, l fear you may be right.  Like the last Federal election, poor choices all around.

Remius said:
I'm not a fan of populism either.  I also think that Doug Ford does not have a good grasp of complex ideas and is more of a surface kind of guy. 

That being said, I think he'll be surrounded by people that do grasp the complexities of provincial politics.  One thing I will say is that I think that he actually listens.  I just hope he doesn't listen to more extreme voices.

But, right now as much as I am not a fan of Ford I am a rabid anti Wynne voter and am willing to risk I think the outcome of having him as the Premier while hoping the system can keep him in check.  My best outcome would be a minority situation.

Yes. I am beginning to think that is what I want too.  Liberals out, but Ford's more extreme base factions tempered by the need to secure sufficient votes in the Legislature. Hopefully this does not see the NDP as kingmakers, but if the Liberals crash and burn, that may be the  case.

ModlrMike said:

That might be quite risky for them. As noted earlier, we like living in a democracy but we don't like elections. And we really don't like them too close together. Whoever provokes that might get punished.

pbi said:
< snip > Ford's more extreme base factions < snip >

Ford Nation has risen from the ashes.  :)

The Ford Nation song,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9jsI8id7E

"We want subway trains, not gravy trains!"

For those who lived in this city those four years, for better or worse, it's deja vu all over again.  :)

Attachments

• fordnation1.jpg
    fordnation1.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 147
Jarnhamar said:
Was Rob Ford a bad mayor?

Toronto councillors turn their backs to Mayor Rob Ford at City Hall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osI4C5tFUyM

On November 15, 2013 Rob Ford was stripped of power as mayor by Toronto council.

In the history of the city, this was unprecedented.

Councillors decided by a 37-5 vote to cut the mayor’s budget and by a 36-6 vote to transfer many of Ford’s deputies and much of his budget to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.

A 32-10 vote decreed Ford could no longer set key matters on the legislative agenda.

Another 37-5 vote removed the mayor’s right to fill vacancies on the civic appointments committee.

He retained symbolic powers, and could still attend official functions as Toronto’s mayor, but he no longer had the clout associated with a CEO.

David Price, Ford's friend and former football coach, who had been hired personally by Ford at twice the salary of others in the mayor's office, was terminated.

As a matter of public safety, his power to govern the city during a State of Emergency was taken away from him, and given to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.

Because he was not a city employee, he could not be fired. He refused to resign.

So, all the city could do until his term ran out was transfer his power to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly.

Jarnhamar said:
Was Doug Ford found guilty of selling drugs?

No.

Did he threaten to sue?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/globe-investigation-the-ford-familys-history-with-drug-dealing/article12153014/?page=all

Yes.

Did he?

No.

Again, the fact that he threatened to sue and didn't, means absolutely nothing to the point that he has never been charged.

Whether to sue or not has so many different considerations, the fact that he didn't is invalid and of no bearing to the question of whether he had ever been charged with a drug offence.

IT DOES NOT mean that after consideration, he chose not to in order to hide something, and it should stop being used as a qualifier of implied deceit.

It keeps going round and round and round,

An investigative report by The Globe and Mail published in May 2013 alleged that Ford sold hashish at James Gardens for several years in the 1980s, based on interviews with anonymous sources and noting that the newspaper could find no record of drug-related criminal charges against Ford. Ford denied the allegations[8] and accused the newspaper of unfairly targeting his brother, then-Mayor Rob Ford. The newspaper defended its use of anonymous sources at an Ontario Press Council hearing. Ford was never charged with an offence. Ford said he planned to sue the newspaper for libel, but did not do so.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Ford_Jr.#Early_life

END QUOTE

mariomike said:

Was Doug Convicted? No. Did he threaten to sue? Yes.
. You really like posting this fact don’t you?

mariomike said:

Was Doug Convicted? No. Did he threaten to sue? Yes.

You're the only one dragging the failure to sue out. Maybe he decided it was not in his financial interests to pay a lawyer for an uncertain outcome. I imagine the paper ran the story past their lawyers to make sure it didn't open them up to anything. You can say a lot of damaging things about someone if you hide behind anonymous sources.

I'm no Ford fan, and it appears many on here aren't, but referencing to an article from years ago that has no actual substance is starting to get a touch old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back