• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Appeal Court decriminalizes brothels

Sythen

Subscriber
Reaction score
Couldn't find an appropriate previous topic to put this in and felt this was the best board. Feel free to move (as if you need my permission)

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120326/appeal-court-decision-canada-sex-trade-laws-120326/

Ontario's Court of Appeal has struck down Canada's ban on brothels or "bawdy houses," but says the ban on communicating for the purposes of selling sex should stand.

In a 132-page landmark decision, the court said Monday that the ban on brothels puts prostitutes in danger by forcing them to ply their trade outdoors. It said sex trade workers should be allowed to work safely indoors.

The court said the law against brothels was too broad because "it captures conduct that is unlikely to lead to the problems Parliament seeks to curtail." It said the impact is "grossly disproportionate" to the law's intent because "the safest way to sell sex is for a prostitute to work indoors in a location under her control."

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120326/appeal-court-decision-canada-sex-trade-laws-120326/#ixzz1qFCsPsqN

Even made the news in the US..

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/world/americas/canada-ontario-legalizes-brothels/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I wouldn't be excited yet, I'm sure the Federal government will appeal to the Supreme Court. After the omnibus crime bill, they won't want to let this go without the top court's ruling.

PuckChaser said:
I wouldn't be excited yet, I'm sure the Federal government will appeal to the Supreme Court. After the omnibus crime bill, they won't want to let this go without the top court's ruling.

oh definitely its probably at minimum 2 years from becoming reality, but the ruling makes sense. There is also precedent in Australia and Nevada for legal brothels working just fine.

I'm thinking there are lots of phone conversations like this happening right now.

"Hello, career manager."

"Yes, I've got your posing preferences down as Edmonton, Shilo and Wainwright."

"You want to change them?  Well, what do you want?"

"Petawawa, Meaford and Thunder Bay?  Are you sure?"

Text of decision here:  http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2012/2012ONCA0186.htm#_Toc320089390

The majority, deciding that they were bound by a previous decision of the Supreme Court of Canada, held that the Criminal Code provisions which prohibit communications in a public place for the purposes of prostitution were constitutionally valid.  This is interesting, because by striking down the prohibition on "bawdy houses", but upholding the prohibition on communicating in a public place (eg. the street), the effect of the decision could be to force prostitution off the street and into indoor establishments.  If the indoor establishments are set up in a way which increases safety of all participants, then the eyesore factor of street prostitution is "cleaned up", while the safety of prostitutes is enhanced. 

Privateer said:
Text of decision here:  http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2012/2012ONCA0186.htm#_Toc320089390

The majority, deciding that they were bound by a previous decision of the Supreme Court of Canada, held that the Criminal Code provisions which prohibit communications in a public place for the purposes of prostitution were constitutionally valid.  This is interesting, because by striking down the prohibition on "bawdy houses", but upholding the prohibition on communicating in a public place (eg. the street), the effect of the decision could be to force prostitution off the street and into indoor establishments.  If the indoor establishments are set up in a way which increases safety of all participants, then the eyesore factor of street prostitution is "cleaned up", while the safety of prostitutes is enhanced.

Plus makes it easier to follow the money, and begin collecting GST on self-employed withincomes over 30K...

Plus makes it easier to follow the money, and begin collecting GST on self-employed with incomes over 30K...

True, that.  Now, decriminalize marijuana and tax it as well, and you've balanced the budget!

Privateer said:
True, that.  Now, decriminalize marijuana and tax it as well, and you've balanced the budget!

I fail to see the marijuana thing ever happening when legal users still hide in society. Simply reflecting on a past colleauge that served honoorably, was presribed the green remedy, and died hiding the fact that marijuana was the only thing that eaesed his burn wounds(not gained during mil svc). Legalization of any substance will always be met with aceptance and resistance. Much $ has been moved for the big C for example, yet no cure to date. I simply never sEe holistics gaining ground in my age.

Privateer said:

Marijuana is not the benign drug its proponents believe it to be. Take it from someone who see's its effects every day. That being said, I won't turn this into a pro vs con discussion.

ModlrMike said:
Marijuana is not the benign drug its proponents believe it to be. Take it from someone who see's its effects every day. That being said, I won't turn this into a pro vs con discussion.

Amen.

We need a pot vs alcohol free for all.

I think this is a great idea. Get them off the street.  Safer for them. Less people on the streets.

Back