• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Online news comment boards. It seems ignorance is bliss.

Who was the candidate for Liberal Leadership that had to drop out because it was brought to light that he received the Maximum allowed donation from a liberal businessman, his wife, and his little kids?
Right....'days gonna follow duh ruls alrite...... Roll Eyes

Joe Volpe.  In a strict legal sense, no laws were broken.  That's not why Volpe dropped out.  No one would vote for him-that's why.  He also returned the money.  Btw at least these folks were open with who was funding their leadership.  Harper, by the way, has never opened up his books.  Irony personified for a guy who claims to be open and accountable.     

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Pardon my ignorance but I just googled that and can't find where Mr. Harper intervined......can you provide links, please?

Actually, I asked before Edward, and I didn't point any fingers at any other Prime Minister, so could you provide that link?

I mean, fair is fair, right?

stegner said:
I'll provide a citation once you provide one for Chretien and Trudeau intervening on behalf of Power Corp.   Fair is Fair.

How about this?

The key bit is:

Fifty thousand Canadian "gray marketeers" who can't do without small-dish satellite television have touched off a war here between telecommunications titans over who will provide the service. Jumping into the fray are members of the Government opposition charging the Prime Minister with nepotism, a communications regulatory agency complaining that its authority is being undermined and consumer groups protecting their interests.

On one side of the battle is Expressvu, a consortium of three of Canada's biggest electronics and communications companies, which had been scheduled to offer, beginning Sept. 1, direct broadcast from satellite, or D.B.S., television. This service, also known as the Digital Satellite System, not only provides images and sound that are close to laser disk quality but also upward of 100 channels, including pay TV.

On the other side of the battle lines is Power DirecTV, which, under an unprecedented and controversial Cabinet order, is now applying for a D.B.S. license. What has been raising more than eyebrows here is the fact that Andre Desmarais, the president and chief operating officer of one of its corporate owners, the Power Corporation, is married to France Desmarais, nee Chretien, daughter of Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

Power DirecTV is owned by Power of Montreal in partnership with DirecTV Inc. of Los Angeles, a subsidiary of General Motors' GM Hughes Electronics. A diversified company engaged in communications and financial services, as well as pulp and paper manufacturing, Power has annual revenues of $5 billion (Canadian), or $3.6 billion (United States).

The Power-Hughes group had lobbied hard to overturn a regulatory decision last summer that created an unlicensed monopoly for Expressvu. The company was able to have the field to itself because its owners satisfied the requirement of the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission that a D.B.S. operator use only Canadian satellites. Power DirecTV failed to qualify because it would deploy Canadian and American satellites.

Expressvu's owners are BCE Inc., Canada's largest telecommunications company; Tee-Comm Electronics Inc., Canada's largest manufacturer and distributor of satellite receiving systems, and Western International Communications Ltd., whose subsidiary, Canadian Satellite Communications Inc., is Canada's leading provider of satellite network services.

Ted Boyle, Expressvu's president, has been lobbying hard to keep the Sept. 1 schedule. If formally blocked from starting its service on the scheduled date, the company has served notice it will sue on grounds the Government acted illegally.

Now, as it transpired, Power Corp could not worm its way past the CRTC and DirectTV did not come to Canada – but not for lack of trying through “unprecedented and controversial Cabinet order.” This is Canada; there are no cabinet orders, controversial or not, without the PM’s explicit approval. Chrétien gave his son-in-law a cabinet level “freebie” – to hell with laws and regulations.

Nope, couldn't find where
stegner said:
 Instead of letting the courts adjudicate this dispute, Harper personally intervened,  
but maybe you could cut out the quote for me?

It's the Governor-in-Council bit.  It was a cabinet order.

To quote Mr. Campbell:

This is Canada; there are no cabinet orders, controversial or not, without the PM’s explicit approval.

How about this?

Perfect.

I have heard rumblings that Power Corp was involved in the recent wireless spectrum sale?  Does anyone know if this is true?

stegner said:

Great, but where, in any of those three documents does it say that PM Harper acted in any way at all, improper or not?

It appears, to me to be quite different, indeed, from Chrétien and the “unprecedented and controversial Cabinet order” that overturned a CRTC decision that was, incontrovertibly, proper and lawful.

Did the Harper cabinet overrule any court, board or agency? Or did it just apply the laws and regulations as they stood?

Did the Harper cabinet overrule any court, board or agency? Or did it just apply the laws and regulations as they stood?

There is only evidence of the later.  Harper chose a minimalist interpretation of the recently altered Environmental Assessment Act.  Harper rather than overruling a court or a board or agency chose not to enforce significant provisions of the Environmental Assessment Act.  He signed off an a project that could have been made to better adhere within the laws of Canada.  In short, one might say that he failed in his duty as an officer of Parliament to ensure the laws of Canada are applied uniformly.   

stegner said:
I have heard rumblings that Power Corp was involved in the recent wireless spectrum sale?  Does anyone know if this is true?

Groupe Vidéotron, part of Québecor Inc, was a big player. For a while, at least, Luc Lavoi, Brian Mulroney's smarmy (my opinion) spokesman was fronting for them. I'm guessing that prior to l'affaire Schreiber Québecor boss Pierre Karl Péladeau thought that having a Mulroney ally would help in Tory Ottawa.

I don't pretend to understand the tangled web of Québec's corporate superstructure so I cannot even guess how much Power Corp money is in Québecor or Vidéotron.

stegner said:
...  He signed off an a project that could have been made to better adhere within the laws of Canada.   In short, one might say that he failed in his duty as an officer of Parliament to ensure the laws of Canada are applied uniformly.     

Did he? I thought I read that the minister of fish and water, or whatever, signed off on whatever regulation was being applied, legally and properly, as I understand it.

One might say almost anything - including that the PM did his duty according to the laws and regulations as written.

Finally, I think uniformity is hard to obtain in sui generis situations.

The intention is to get you going, and it seems to be working. Like you said, it's a matter of opinion, it doesn't mean it's the gospel. It's up to individuals to deduce what is truth and what is horse poo as you so eloquently put it.

You can't get your knickers in a twist over what some nincompoop posts on a website.

uncle-midget-boyd said:
I, as I'm sure others who visit the vast interweb, have often found myself raging on the inside after the times I read the comment boards of online news sites.
Yes, I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion..... but some 'opinions' are just outright horse sh!t. I often find them offensive, as one posted by one who calls him/herself 'Captain Canada' did earlier, and I often find myself banging my head against the computer screen out of frustration built up by the sheer ignorance shown by many many many of these posters.
So, here's a place to post and discuss quotes from 'doozies' or just ones that make you boil on the inside, that you may have read.

Here's one from a CTV.ca story on Minister MacKay confirming the additional Canadian personnel about to be deployed.
I wonder if "End the Mission" realizes that the 300 Afghan civilians killed by NATO last year were accidental, and that the 374 (how HRW was able to pinpoint those numbers, I don't know, and I very much doubt the accuracy of those numbers) that were killed by the Taliban were all intentional. Regardless of whether or not the NATO soldiers/pilots pulled the trigger or dropped the bomb on purpose, civilians were not the target.
When the Taliban detonate a suicide bomb or an IED in a crowded market killing dozens of civilians.... this "End the Mission" person needs to give their head a shake of reality.

So, discuss, or post your favorite hair pulling quote.

Midget

Back