• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Online Courses?

RCACboy

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been a Cadet since Nov 2005. I am wondering if there are any online courses which cadets can take which would help me learn more and advance in the RCAC?

All of your training should be done at the LHQ level, if you want to advance go bug your training officer. Not literally, but keep reminding them you would like to challenge your tests.

No, there are no online courses you can take to advance further in the RCAC.  All of your training is done at the LHQ, and at the Summer Training Centre.  You can only challenge your tests if you are at the appropriate age, but the key to getting ahead is putting in the extra effort.

There are no specific WebCT that's been put out by DCdt. as of now but if you really want to learn more and advance yourself in the program, there are enough resources online (prime example the Vitural HQ on the Pacific Region Web Site) along with online forums with army.ca or cadet-world.com to name a few.  All you need is to post your questions or stuff that you're looking and then you'll get respond almost instanly.  I would like to keep the cadet program to be interactive with REAL human interaction thou.  That's my $0.02 :)

There's no courses you can do online but there should be.
There's some people out there that has the desire to learn and advance at a more rapid pace.
I would be in favor if they were to pass a vote.
I find it's a neat idea and that a surprising number of people would be interested.

Do they not give out the star level books anymore?
Do they not lend out the CATO binders?
Do they not lend out the NSCE book anymore?
Do they not have piles of map and compass execsises, spare maps, and compasses?
Do they not have some extra para cord to practice knots and lashings?

;D

Not saying online courses would be a bad thing.

But as I remember it, there was piles and piles of extra info you could sign out if you were thirsty for knowledge...

You could even find copies of the old star level books. Some of them have the same info, but IIRC, they tended to elaborate more.

IMO, most cadets you encounter are people who learn by doing.  Furthermore, aside from book learning (such as history/fundamentals) are taught early on in the program and covered in depth. 

Online courses aren't very practical for learning things that are related to many aspects of cadets.  "I learned this on the internet" isn't going to really lend anything to your credibility either.

Handbooks are available online, and if you wish to study ahead it may be done; anything else would have to be done individually by corps.

I personally think it's a great idea.

Most Cadets out there, at least on the Army side of the house are very lacking in the knowledge they should acquire in the 402 POs. Moreover there is a large amount of information that can be picked up through online courses and it gives the individual a chance to set learning to a pace and style that suits them.

It's not like this is an out-of-the-box idea, something like 1/10 University students at my school (SFU) complete their degree via distance learning which is ussually internet based, and there is currently 1 CIC course online, with another coming in the next few months.

why not courses which are not offered in the local training?

-Climbing / Rappelling general Knowledge, Maybe in diffrent levels.
-Driving / life guard, I do not see alot of cadets with that patch. Where you could get a local public pool test you and get a witness to vouch for your knowledge.
-Advanced Drill and Ceremonial.
-Pre-Para knowledge. for some that can't or plan to do the jump course. they could learn about the equipment, and the way things are done.
-History, Military and Canada.
-On-line courses from other elements? Hey why not? I know that air cadets have interesting courses.
-Canadian society, cultures of Canada, could be a credited college course:D cause I had to do it in college.
-French or English courses.

How about trade style courses?
-QM and Admin, hey ya never know, cadets used to be interested in it. maybe on-line some cadets around the country would be interested.
-Communications, Now this is one thing I've noticed that the ACM has lost touch with.
-Recce, all in good fun, knowledge that could be used if one chooses to join the military.

sheesh, and i know some people have idea's out there. that are positive and interesting for cadets. It could also promote interest in the CF by offering things that they could see if they joined up.

Back