• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

One more for the record...

This is from the form.

just follow that.

Selecting and preparing your references
A valid reference is defined as an adult (18 years of age or older) that knows you well enough to provide a worthwhile, fair and adequate assessment about
your personal character. Members of your family or relatives, family friends, friends, neighbours, co-workers or peers are not considered valid references.
Your references, either individually or in combination, must have known you for at least the last five (5) continuous years (or to age 16, whichever comes first).
The references can be categorized as follows:
a. Educational references: these persons are former or current teachers, professors, coaches, instructors, or trainers;
b. Professional references: these persons are former or current supervisors, managers, foremen, advisors, or employers; or
c. Personal references: these persons can be a minister, clergyman, mentor, counsellor, or community leader.

I was. Part of the problem is how I marked down my relation with them, and how answered the recruiter's questions about them. As long avoid any mention of a social relationship beyond the professional or educational or personal, they are valid.

Anyway, went by the recruitment center to drop of the fifth reference form. I swapped out another with an ex-employer have not seen in awhile yet still in contact with on social media. Only considered them now because of their positive feedback they gave few weeks ago.

The recruiter saw my CFAT scores and asked if I considered ROTP. I have, yet not sure about the timing for applying for that plus being my 30s. That and seriously have not considered returning to school being my cards I could try to play. Oddly enough, with still possible of other options happening in life or coming up, partially may do that just to prolong the recruitment process a bit without rescheduling or delaying. Only need two more years to complete a bachelor.

Hmm, will think about it, especially once I year of the result of the job interview I had today as well...and the result of the interview and medical coming up soon.

serenamorrowind, while I am not completely in a similar boat as you I 100% understand your struggle. I have been in the application process for over a year at this point (due to me needing to finish my degree before being considered qualified for the job). For my references I used two former coaches as well as my boss, all of which I have a great relationship with and have had beers with. I guess I never realized that this is a problem as I believe in the ability of my superiors to distinguish between my character at work and my character at a bar  :whistle:

I had my interview at recruitment today. It was way more straightforward than I imagined it to be. Some of my civilian job interviews have been more intense. Well, at least my go to strategy of finding a way, intentionally or not, to make the interviewer laugh was a success. I only managed a smile and a chuckle in the job interview I had this past Monday, but resulted in them believing it went really well and I have a second interview tomorrow. Beyond that, that leaves dealing with something I expected I would have to do and medical next week. Medical will be more fun, like 'these are all of the things my body went through with this sport and few mishaps in last eight years...and myself now can still kick my younger self's ass'. :p

serenamorrowind said:
I had my interview at recruitment today. It was way more straightforward than I imagined it to be. Some of my civilian job interviews have been more intense. Well, at least my go to strategy of finding a way, intentionally or not, to make the interviewer laugh was a success. I only managed a smile and a chuckle in the job interview I had this past Monday, but resulted in them believing it went really well and I have a second interview tomorrow. Beyond that, that leaves dealing with something I expected I would have to do and medical next week. Medical will be more fun, like 'these are all of the things my body went through with this sport and few mishaps in last eight years...and myself now can still kick my younger self's ***'. :p

I found the interview super straight forward as well. Lots of yes/no questions and only diving into work experience a little bit. I imagine the second round of interviews will be more intense? I guess you will see. I still have to wait to be contacted for my second round of interviews.

Now the medical, that will be the most difficult, and most time consuming, to overcome. I knew this, yet felt more hopeful with the interview and everything moving along.

I supposedly have this genetic quirk that increases the chances of clotting in the blood which was discovered a few years ago after getting a pulmonary embolism. Took two ER trips for doctors to figure out why I was increasingly having problems breathing, first noticed doing sports. Anyway, six months of blood thinners and confirmation the clots are gone, including few others they found in the body, and switched me to another less intensive med after lots of pushing so I may continue do full contact sports. They would never confirm on record at the time, but I highly suspect it was my own mess up by accidentally overdosing with one of my meds that does also increase the risk of clotting. Since it was confirmed that my sibling has this genetic quirk the year before, they said I had it to, as it is hereditary. Well, my mother did a genetic test and she does not have it, and my father supposedly had a genetic test too and also does not have it. Along now with the need to get recruitment medical records, I plan to have a nice chat with the doctor i've been seeing for this quirk to absolutely confirm whether they actually did the genetic test with me. Even if confirmed, sort of genetic quirk where about one percent of the population has, and few percents of those getting any clotting complications from this before 50 years of age. I was fine up until my med goof. If not for that, likely would not been an issue for very much longer. Now, because it has happened on record, it becomes a likely disqualification from the CF because I am taking a preventative med...the sort that only decreases a percentage chance of clotting, not stop it, and the chances of it happening without the med still pretty low as long I am physically active and watch the consumption Vitamin K.  Anyway, I knew this when I applied, yet seek to make the attempt anyway. Also takes forever to get an appointment with dear doctor, and had to miss the last one because of a cold, and their clinic mostly deals with seniors.

Well, another thing I thought would now be non-issue now that I long resolved the reason why I was blocked/rejected eight years ago, would like me to seek a full psych eval as per the reject letter still anyway. Only reason they made that demand originally is because I appealed the first rejection letter which is now resolved anyway. So, need a more recent follow up to prove on record that I am stable, of sound mind, and have enough mental fortitude for the military. I understand the reasoning, and not angry about it at all, yet still frustrating to needing to jump over hoops. This is one will be the biggest to complete as not easy to find a shrink to do psych evals, especially one comfortable in doing it with the context of military and not going to try forcing/conning me into seeing them for months to a year at time just to sign off on it. On the other hand though, I am oddly curious about my overall mental status.  So this may become win-win at the end?

Yes, already know the common feedback to this and paths to follow, and do understand the reasons and purpose of it all. As mentioned before, rather find out for sure whether I can do this or not than wonder what if for rest of my life.

Back