• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the West Coast.

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Mike at certain time's of the 24 hour clock I can't log in and if I do the site is so slow I log out and even then the site hang's.
This is around about any where from 22:00 to 04;00 hrs?

Is your machine sucking back and reloading ?

Just wondering.

Nick

Nick,

Backups occur overnight that can slow things down significantly. I've scheduled them during our "lull" hours, but anyone logging in during that period will probably see what you're seeing. I'm pretty anal about having all the important stuff backed up daily. :)

Cheers
Mike

Does the backup program have the option of using minimal resources and still do it's stuff in a reasonable timeframe?

I don't currently know of a way to throttle it down. If I did, I'm not sure today's backup would finish before tomorrow's starts! But I'll check into it and see what I can figure out.

At my office I did incremental backups during the week, and a full backup to dvd once a week (on their slowest day, which happened to be Sunday, all automatically....that may not work for here)....the incremental only saves what has changed over the course of a day, but combined with the previous backup you can restore everything with 3 dvd's... (small system.)

They've since changed over to another, online backup server system, so I don't quite know exactly how it works now.

I'm also on the West Coast - and have noticed the same thing after, say 2300 local (which would put it at around 0300 where Mike is).

I always figured that backups, or updates, or whatever were the cause for the delays - apparently, for once, when I "assumed", I didn't make an ASS out of U or ME.

0300 is when I usually schedule stuff like backups, scans - whatever.

Look at it this way, Nick - it's just part of the charm of living in God's country.

That's the part he's pushing back in time right?....  ;D

GAP said:
That's the part he's pushing back in time right?....  ;D

"Back in time" is GOOD.

At the moment, I'm making my living by making reproduction furniture using the ORIGINAL methods (no power tools) - and it pays handsomely.

GAP, incrementals or differentials would normally be good... but in this case, the database files all register as "changed" and all need to be backed up every time. Unfortunately, that's where most of the data is, so skipping it would mean we've have some pretty big holes in our backups. I might be able to drop back to every 2nd night or something along those lines if it's a nuisance.

Mike Bobbitt said:
GAP, incrementals or differentials would normally be good... but in this case, the database files all register as "changed" and all need to be backed up every time. Unfortunately, that's where most of the data is, so skipping it would mean we've have some pretty big holes in our backups. I might be able to drop back to every 2nd night or something along those lines if it's a nuisance.

But Sod's Law dictates that the inevitable crash will occur just after the previously nightly backup wasn't done.

Of course... and usually just before you discover that the backups have in fact failed to run for 3 weeks running...

Well, a somewhat unrelated note... After running some tests I've noticed that my up/down speeds are not balanced. I have a small "up" pipe which is constantly pegged, and a large "down" pipe which is often underutilized.

I've asked our ISP to adjust those speeds - it's something they can do, but may choose not to. I should know in a day or so how cooperative they will be. A good adjustment in the speeds will have a noticeable affect on our speed here, but won't really help with the o'dark hundred backups kick in.

There I thought it was only me. ;) ;D

Also on the Left Coast time is wake up time on the right coast this may be a factor also as a lot of user's there get on line to check out the latest and are in
closer proximity to the server and more user's down east .
Even now at 20:20 response time from the site is slow.

No prob's Mike I can live with it.  :salute:

Nick

Back