• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the lighter side

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be a big disappointment embarrassment that the mother of your half sister prefers running in a fringe party over yours. ;D

Freedom of speech?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2175738/alberta-man-gets-543-ticket-for-f-k-harper-sign/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=EditorsPick&utm_campaign=2015
Alberta man gets $543 ticket for ‘F–k Harper’ sign

August 20, 2015 8:16 am  Updated: August 20, 2015 3:14 pm 
By Chris Purdy  The Canadian Press

EDMONTON — An Edmonton man plans to fight a traffic ticket he was given for sticking a crude political message in the rear window of his car.

Rob Wells posted the handmade, pink “F–k Harper” sign a week ago to voice his contempt for Stephen Harper’s Conservative government in the upcoming federal election.

He recently took a road trip to Vancouver and kept a log of about 60 other drivers who reacted with support.

“All the way out there I’m getting thumbs up, thumbs up, thumbs up,” Wells recalled Wednesday.

On the drive back, after he hit the Calgary area on Sunday, he said he saw a few middle fingers. RCMP then pulled him over about 50 kilometres south of Edmonton. An officer demanded he remove the sign, Wells said.

“I insisted that I had a right to have it … it’s a political statement.”

He said the officer told him, “if you don’t get rid of it, I’m writing you a ticket.”

“I said, ‘OK. We’ll see you in court.”‘

Wells was handed a $543 fine under the section of the Highway Traffic Act that prohibits anything that distracts other drivers. Wells said he plans to be in Ponoka provincial court Nov. 12 to argue against the ticket and will also be filing a complaint with the RCMP.
more at link

edm101294025_high.jpg

...........as well as an obstructed view which is also subject to a fine.

Yeah, that sign is more than a little distracting (message aside).  He admits that he distracted at least 60 other drivers on his trip, I don't doubt the judge will also see it that way too.

jollyjacktar said:
Yeah, that sign is more than a little distracting (message aside).  He admits that he distracted at least 60 other drivers on his trip, I don't doubt the judge will also see it that way too.

I wouldn't count on that.  Are they going to start ticketing every car with a bumper sticker now?  What about all the cars that are simply rolling billboards?  The reality is likely that the cop simply didn't like the message.  Is this really all that distracting, or an indivdual's attempt to curtail free speech?

Blackadder1916 said:
Freedom of speech?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2175738/alberta-man-gets-543-ticket-for-f-k-harper-sign/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=EditorsPick&utm_campaign=2015more at link

I guess the FUCK HARPER sign in the back window of a car might be an offence (distracting other drivers, obstructing vision, etc) but, at least, it's an adult expressing his considered opinion.

I know that some parents want their kids to be walking billboards for the new, affluent lifestyle with Tommy this and Ralph that plastered all over their clothes (OK, OK, I admit it, I have a bunch of T-shirts with Army and regimental badges embroidered on them  :camo: )  but doesn't this cross some sort of (invisible) "good taste" or "good parenting" line?

11921658_1654488724765559_419569741809470149_n.jpg

Pusser said:
I wouldn't count on that.  Are they going to start ticketing every car with a bumper sticker now?  What about all the cars that are simply rolling billboards?  The reality is likely that the cop simply didn't like the message.  Is this really all that distracting, or an indivdual's attempt to curtail free speech?

That sign is more than a bumper sticker.  It is large, neon pink, directly in the rear window and as recce pointed out, obstructing the drivers view.  He said he was getting honks and waves from other drivers, which tells me they were looking at his car more than once and not the road.  I say the judge won't be sympathetic.  I do agree, however,  the cop probably did not like the message or perhaps he observed other drivers being distracted by the sign.  All will play out in court.

This has been around forever, but it's aporpos the "lighter side" of Election 2015:

11880335_10153551506527929_7118890223583182168_n.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think the first time I heard a variant of this, in a Canadian context, was over 40 years ago and in response to wage and price controls and "Zap! You're frozen."

jollyjacktar said:
That sign is more than a bumper sticker.  It is large, neon pink, directly in the rear window and as recce pointed out, obstructing the drivers view.  He said he was getting honest from other drivers, which tells me they were looking at his car more than once and not the road.  I say the judge won't be sympathetic.  I do agree, however,  the cop probably did not like the message or perhaps he observed other drivers being distracted by the sign.  All will play out in court.

Any different than a truck or van with a big, colourful logo on the side?

I suppose the difference could be with the response the person with the ad wants to illicit from those who view it and when.  That will be up to the judge to decide in the end with this particular case.

Infanteer said:
Any different than a truck or van with a big, colourful logo on the side?

You put your hand out the window, waving a big thumbs up, honking your horn and looking at the other driver to show your support to a Mayflower Moving van or a Schneider's Meat truck? ;D

recceguy said:
You put your hand out the window, waving a big thumbs up, honking your horn and looking at the other driver to show your support to a Mayflower Moving van or a Schneider's Meat truck? ;D
If it's driven by the Mayflower Madam, or headed to one of Toronto's better Meat Markets on a Saturday night?  Sure.  :salute:

Is it just me, or does Stephen Harper look, more and more and ...

stephen-harper-mariskar.jpg
-443333_ORIGINAL.jpg
article-2342817-1A5D232F000005DC-110_306x423.jpg
event_Harris.jpg

... more like Mike Harris?

Congratulations. You just lost Ontario for the Conservatives.  ;D

Don't worry.  The Liberals now have Bob Rae, leaving an Angry Bearded Thatcherite as the only option.

And John Baird is out of the running and has no Beard that I know of (in any sense of the word), so that leaves only Mulcair.

Daym - I forgot to think about the beard - I have one. But so does Corbyn.

Am I a bearded leftie?  :crybaby:

Acorn said:
Congratulations. You just lost Ontario for the Conservatives.  ;D

If Wynne was half the man as Harris, we'd be in good shape right now.

(yes, it was intentional)

dapaterson said:
Don't worry.  The Liberals now have Bob Rae, leaving an Angry Bearded Thatcherite as the only option.

And John Baird is out of the running and has no Beard that I know of (in any sense of the word), so that leaves only Mulcair.

Brian Gable, drawing in the Globe and Mail, explains the entire campaign strategy of the "Angry Bearded Thatcherite:"

webfriedcar11co1.jpg

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorial-cartoons-for-september-2015/article26123093/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back