• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the fence

Danikacharlie

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm 18, I'm a female and I'm the most indecisive person I know. This is something I used to dream about when I was younger but never thought it would become a reality. My boyfriend and are started talking and it has turned out to be something we are both so passionate about and this could really save us. My main goal in life is to be a chef so when I found out I can cook for the CF overseas, I don't know how I could resist.  I guess I should say that I am pretty against war and sending our boys away to risk their lives, maybe just because I don't know enough about it yet, but I want to do absolutely everything in my power to bring our men home safe. Like they say a distracted solider is a dead soilder. Even if it's just a hot meal it's so much more than that. It's that little piece of home, it's the one sure thing they have everyday.

I guess I just need reassurance, I need to hear I'm on the right track from people that have the same mindset.

So, you want to be an amazing chef and don't agree with Canada's foreign policies... you CAN be ordered to fight with the C7 you'll be trained on. If you're not  willing to fight; regardless of the politics, in my opinion, you don't belong in the Forces.

You'll need to decide why it's always been a dream of yours - to try and ensure the deployed's safe return? It seems like you're wishy-washy about the whole idea. And like you said - a distracted soldier is a dead soldier...

A little incident on my bmq platoon: One of the women asked us what our backup plan was if the CF didn't work out. She was in BMQ making other plans in case she didn't like what she was getting into. We tore into her like no tomorrow because she wasn't putting everything she had into what she was doing. My suggestion: If you're not 100% into it, don't start.

Stacked said:
I don't understand why you tore her a new one personally.  Have you never heard the saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" ?    What if she was to get injured or absolutely hated military life?  Considering this was just at the basic training stage I don't see it as that unreasonable... Seems silly to me but oh well.

Everyone's working their hardest and you're looking for a Plan B? Don't you think that's something that should be done when you're...I don't know... off course? I like to put everything into what I'm doing (especially when it involves my career, but I guess everyone's different.

If you don't want to be in the CF, and still want to be a chef,  you can go find a Red Seal certified chef in your area and ask to apprentice under him or her.  Go to your local Service (insert Province here, pretty much the place where you get your driving license.)  and ask for the contact person that handles trades in your area, to get registered as an apprentice and get your log book.

There,  all the cooking, none of the "Icky" stuff.

There, alternative that agrees with your ethos. (and keeps military member safe because indecisive people tend to have helmet fires and that's bad in a fight)

I'm extremely new here, I left my ROTP application to RMC uploading my transcripts when I left for work...
Viewed a few forums, this thread prompted a response.

Danikacharlie said:
I guess I just need reassurance,

No one is going to hold your hand.

However, not many people like war. You do have the benefit of living in the best country in the world. War is a necessity, we do not yet have the luxury of living in a Utopia. You have the freedom to do as you choose, such are the luxuries soldiers have given to you. World history... I will not reassure you and I doubt anyone else will, grow and mature and decide for yourself.

As a gun owning, red meat eating, conservative voting manly man, I find the overt sexism in the OPs post offensive, had have corrected it appropriately to reflect the appropriate makeup of the Canadian Forces..

Danikacharlie said:
So I'm 18, I'm a female and I'm the most indecisive person I know. This is something I used to dream about when I was younger but never thought it would become a reality. My boyfriend and are started talking and it has turned out to be something we are both so passionate about and this could really save us. My main goal in life is to be a chef so when I found out I can cook for the CF overseas, I don't know how I could resist.  I guess I should say that I am pretty against war and sending our boys troops away to risk their lives, maybe just because I don't know enough about it yet, but I want to do absolutely everything in my power to bring our men troops home safe. Like they say a distracted solider is a dead soilder. Even if it's just a hot meal it's so much more than that. It's that little piece of home, it's the one sure thing they have everyday.

I guess I just need reassurance, I need to hear I'm on the right track from people that have the same mindset.

If you join the forces, you're a member of the forces. Whether you're male, female, or if you're green, dark blue, or light blue, you're a member of the forces. Cooks are part of the forces the same as any other.

If you're interested in joining the forces as a cook, contact the nearest recruiting centre. If you're interested in cooking overseas, I have no idea who supplies cooks for KAF, but call them.

In the mean time, as yoda said, do or do not there is no try. No such thing as on the fence.

Danikacharlie said:
So I'm 18, I'm a female and I'm the most indecisive person I know. This is something I used to dream about when I was younger but never thought it would become a reality. My boyfriend and are started talking and it has turned out to be something we are both so passionate about and this could really save us. My main goal in life is to be a chef so when I found out I can cook for the CF overseas, I don't know how I could resist.  I guess I should say that I am pretty against war and sending our boys away to risk their lives, maybe just because I don't know enough about it yet, but I want to do absolutely everything in my power to bring our men home safe. Like they say a distracted solider is a dead solider. Even if it's just a hot meal it's so much more than that. It's that little piece of home, it's the one sure thing they have everyday.

I'm not sure what you mean by "save us." Do you mean save the relationship in general? Or something like you are living together and think it would be a good goal for both of you on a financial basis? I'm just trying to get a clearer understanding of your thoughts.  If it's the former, I don't think it's a good idea to pursue this, coupled with the thoughts/views you voiced about war anyway.  If it's the latter, just know that there's a very real possibility that you would be posted far apart, for extended periods of time.  Is that something your relationship can sustain at this point?  Are you at a place in your life where you're ready/willing to place the Military's needs ahead of your personal needs?

You're 18. There's no rush for you to decide what you absolutely need to do on a professional level yet. Try some new things, or try the same thing in different venues if cooking is what you know your passion is.  I'm only saying this because you've already stated that you're "indecisive."  (I know plenty of 18 year olds who know exactly what they want, why, and what they're going to do to get there; but you're clearly not in that place yet.  Don't feel bad--I only started to truly focus on my goals after my son was born when I was 30.)

The main thing, though, is if the absolute core of your being cannot fundamentally imagine having to fight in a war under any circumstance, then the CF is NOT for you.  Regardless of the trade one chooses, there is always a possibility of having to fight.  I personally don't feel it's something you can be "convinced" to do. 

Back