• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On Political Correctness

Good way to promote inclusion and spread your message.... :waiting:

Colin P said:
No good deed goes unpunished, the VPD went to great lengths to build bridges with the gay community here and what do they get for it? Pretty soon people are going to figure out that they can do no right and then they won't bother to try anymore and then those groups will wonder why the services and public have disdain for them.

Its unfortunate that the police cannot choose who they can protect. No doubt the gay community will want police to vigorously pursue those who get in the way, obstruct or counter demonstrate their parade.

Hamish Seggie said:
Its unfortunate that the police cannot choose who they can protect. No doubt the gay community will want police to vigorously pursue those who get in the way, obstruct or counter demonstrate their parade.

Believe me, in Vancouver, there aren't too many demonstrators against gay pride parades. If anything, people trip over themselves to join up mainly because that demographic are such big spenders, and a pretty influential political voice.

Gay cops will likely still attend, but probably out of uniform (see what I did there?: ) )

It’s a stupid decision.  Unless the VPD has a history of mistreating the gay community, which I don’t believe they have, this is presumptively judging the VPD as hostile to, or counter to the Vancouver gay community’s cause.

Good2Golf said:
It’s a stupid decision.  Unless the VPD has a history of mistreating the gay community, which I don’t believe they have, this is presumptively judging the VPD as hostile to, or counter to the Vancouver gay community’s cause.

Gay cops are reporting that this decision will limit their ability to change culture within the police to become more tolerant of gay staff and citizens.

Good2Golf said:
Unless the VPD has a history of mistreating the gay community, which I don’t believe they have, this is presumptively judging the VPD as hostile to, or counter to the Vancouver gay community’s cause.

Our police are the barrier between law and order and social and civil anarchy. They are our heroes, and deserve a parade of their own once a year.

We're in one of those "moments" during which activists feel they have enough momentum to settle scores: censor, ban, dis-employ, outcast, etc.  It'll pass.

Brad Sallows said:
We're in one of those "moments" during which activists feel they have enough momentum to settle scores: censor, ban, dis-employ, outcast, etc.  It'll pass.

Oh so kinda like the Taliban?

The Taliban had religious conviction.  These people can barely feed themselves.

Brad Sallows said:

I described such dynamics in terms which involved trying to put a toddler to bed. Unfortunately, it seems you are saying I am very, very accurate with that observation?

Hows this for political correctness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Is it time to dig up Chris Rock's hollywood star and delete his movies from Netflix?

Brad Sallows said:

:rofl:

That made my day....

Jarnhamar said:
Hows this for political correctness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Is it time to dig up Chris Rock's hollywood star and delete his movies from Netflix?

I'm somewhat (but not much) curious about the reason for bringing attention to a nearly 20 year old skit by a comedian well known for using parody and satire.  However, it might be explained in this 2016 commentary in the LA Times.

Commentary: Every time a black person is killed by police, Americans search for Chris Rock
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-chris-rock-video-sterling-20160707-snap-htmlstory.html
JULY 8, 20167:55 PM

Chris Rock is a popular comedian, with a lot of popular skits viewed frequently online. But after this week’s police shooting deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, one of Rock’s oldest skits has become more popular than it’s been all year.

It seems that every time a high-profile police shooting of a black person occurs, Americans become very interested in the skit titled "How Not to Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police.”

In the skit, Rock delivers a mock public service announcement that essentially says as long as young black men obey the law and use common sense, they will not have any trouble with the police.

Taken within the context of Rock’s body of work, most audiences see the skit, recorded more than 15 years ago, as parody – a commentary on police racism with a few in-jokes aimed at other black people. Among Rock’s tips to avoid getting beaten: “Get a white friend” to ride with.

But for some viewers, this context has been lost and the old video has taken on a strange second life  as a rallying point that allows some people to avoid the difficult discussion of racism.

As protests surged following the 2014 death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., a major St. Louis paper published a letter to the editor that cited Rock’s video as “the only message that will lead to healing in Ferguson.” The writer said that black people are being “misled into believing this is all about the color of their skin,” and begged Rock to come to Ferguson and “tell them they don’t need to be afraid of police.”

But it wasn’t just newspapers that showed this trend. In general, Americans suddenly seemed to become very interested in this video.

Nationwide, Google searches for “Chris Rock police” spiked in August 2014 during the Ferguson protests. Searches spiked even higher in November 2014, as Americans learned of Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old black boy who was shot while playing with a toy gun in a Cleveland park.

. . .

At the time of publication, interest in the video continues to climb.

It seems that people are literally searching for something – even a comedy skit – to help them make sense of the shootings.

Some relate to the bitter irony of the skit’s simplistic “public service” message that cooperation with the police will keep them safe. If only

Rock himself has recently been posting selfies when he’s pulled over by police as a criticism of racially based profiling.

>put a toddler to bed.

Similar.  The analogy I've been using is camping in the backyard (as kids).  Anything you forgot, you run inside the house to get.  Mom and Dad are keeping an eye out for you.  After the sun goes down and the wind makes funny noises and the moon casts scary shadows over the tent, you go back inside for the night.

The authorities will (and should) let this collapse as a comedy, while protecting people from the worst abuses (assaults, public health hazards).  Sending in the police or army would allow the protestors to claim they never got their chance to shine.  Let them fumble their way to their inevitable abject collapse.

Blackadder1916 said:
I'm somewhat (but not much) curious about the reason for bringing attention to a nearly 20 year old skit by a comedian well known for using parody and satire.

I'd be happy to answer. I'm making fun of our Cancel culture. We're tearing down hundred year old statues, renaming streets, renaming bars. Digging up 20 year old tweets. Pointing out US bases named after confederate generals.

Just because someone is black or a person of colour doesn't mean they're immune to the mania either. Look at Terry Crews. Solid guy, came forward about being sexually assaulted (being groped) which i think takes a lot of courage

He's in hot water now for tweeting “defeating White supremacy without White people creates Black supremacy. Equality is the truth. Like it or not, we are all in this together."”

To me it sounds like he's saying white people are needed to help defeat white supremacy. But now he has to defend himself from "backlash" and we know what that means. If he doesn't grovel on twitter begging an apology (for having an opinion) then they'll be calls to cancel his shows and harass sponsors. Twitter is a sentient monster.

So when I point out Chris Rock's skit it's in the vein of how far is this going to go? George Washington owned slaves and Abraham Lincon wasn't a stanch defender of blacks being treated equally. Are their statues next? It seems like we're looking backwards instead of forwards and this misguided attempt to be politically correct isn't helping IMO.

Jarnhamar said:
George Washington owned slaves and Abraham Lincon wasn't a stanch defender of blacks being treated equally. Are their statues next?

Memories of our 24-page "All things Charlottesville (merged)" discussion.

YZT580 said:
Now I bet they will pull the re-runs of Dukes of Hazard: can't have the General Lee running around can we?

Flag or no flag, it was a heck of a car.

I tried, but could never master their bootlegger turns. Only found out later they disconnected the locking mechanism from the foot operated parking brake. That was the trick.

Read they used over 300 General Lee's. The stunts destroyed all but 17.

A little old, but the 17 occasionally come up for sale.

https://www.thedukesofhazzard.nl/2018/07/original-general-lee-for-sale/

mariomike said:
Flag or no flag, it was a heck of a car.

I tried, but could never master their bootlegger turns. Only found out later they disconnected the locking mechanism from the foot operated parking brake. That was the trick.

Read they used over 300 General Lee's. The stunts destroyed all but 17.

Does that mean that 283 stunts went right, or that 17 went wrong?  ???

Back