• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Old LBV back in use in Afghanistan (now Arid CADPAT)?!

Teddy Ruxpin

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Britney Spears said:
52486742.jpg

r2574661188.jpg

52486721.jpg

52486722.jpg

7907989.jpg

Is it Retro Monday in Kabul? Whats with the vests?

Thanks to Militaryphotos.net

No inhancement needed...  They're obviously Canadian.  There are also Brits in one photo and (guessing) embassy security guys (MPs) in civvies.

I don't know what the deal is on the vests!! ???

yeah im a 100% sure they are canadians, but what the hell are they wearing? some sort of new tac vest?

Not knowing really anything about these old LBV's (Only ever used the '82 webbing and Tac Vest), I have to ask, if this is a good thing, or bad thing. How do people who have used it on tour feel about it?

If you go through the Tac Vest threads, you will find two key criticisms.

1) The Tac Vest is ideally suited for a rifleman, is not modular, and cannot be adjusted to ideally suit a machinegunner or rifle-grenadier.

2) The Tac Vest lacks carrying space.

The old LBV did not have complaint #2.

Although wearing your ruck overtop of the LBV when the back hump was full sucked.  Also the TV lacks the space to carry more then for mags nicely so I wouldn't say its rifleman friendly.

I guarantee you that the guys on the picture are Canadian Soldiers, the other are British Soldiers.

They worn the old LBV in AR CADPAT. This kind of vest where made quickly when the current TV was not issued yet. Now they use it in Aghanistan.

I have detailed picutre of this vest if you want but its too large to attach.

soldiers301 said:
I guarantee you that the guys on the picture are Canadian Soldiers, the other are British Soldiers.

They worn the old LBV in AR CADPAT. This kind of vest where made quickly when the current TV was not issued yet. Now they use it in Aghanistan.

I have detailed picutre of this vest if you want but its too large to attach.

So could I as I was there and gone when the action pics was taken....

Those LBV are as much garbage as anything else...Its only 20 C out here and the guys wearing them are already complaining they are too hot. They also have to wear the Ballistic vests underneath, and that just adds to the wieght and the heat.

So when did they start wearing the Arid LBV? On Roto 0 we wore the Arid Frag vest cover with our Temperate Tac Vest for the reasons stated above. What is the reason for the change? Is it for looks or is it a Dress issue!

Personally what a waste of good cadpat AR material!! :crybaby:

Could be any number of factors why, for the rebirth of the "Bosnia vest" i.e. the countless UCRs written up about the TV, inability to quickly produce sufficient TVs in AR, DND's 1/2-assed approach to placate the troops with something in AR camo, and with slighty better carrying capacity, etc..
Looking at the pics, it does offer better camo I'll give it that much, but this 2 steps back approach, had better be only a temporary measure(yeah right!!) until something better is procured ie. Patrol Vest ;D

Just to clarify a few things WRT this...

My Cadpat AR LBV has a Mfg Label indicating it was made in early 2002 (same as my Cadpat AR Wide Brimmed Combat Hat and some of my uniforms)... so I don't believe this has anything to do with the gripes/UCR's with the current TV as it was already made well before the current TV hit regular issue.
Secondly, in my organization, the wearing of the AR LBV vs TV has been left to the sub-unit. That being said our use of them are Op dependant. My TV is loaded and the LBV is in my Veh for use as req'd. People really aren't all that worked up about it around here. The only big gripes are the sizing (Sm/Med or Lg/XL) which means if you fall in between sizes you can end up looking like a clown, and the pocket for the Ballistic Plate in the front (which I cut out of mine).... in addition to all the other gripes. I don't think the added heat is an issue as the Frag Vest is gonna hold in most of the heat regardless of whats on top. FWIW, I think the lighter color solid fabric is gonna do more for cooling that dark colored mesh. 

Bottom line: When you expect junk, your never dissapointed.

The bottom line is that with most people the TV/LBV has become nothing more than a cover for flak-jackets with most already coming up with temp solutions for ammo stowage etc. I rarely ever wear one unless I am dismounted for long periods.

As for: I dont understand what you mean ? .. Sorry im french

I think he may have coincidentally arrived on the scene before the pics were snapped.

armybuck041 said:
My Cadpat AR LBV has a Mfg Label indicating it was made in early 2002 (same as my Cadpat AR Wide Brimmed Combat Hat and some of my uniforms)... so I don't believe this has anything to do with the gripes/UCR's with the current TV as it was already made well before the current TV hit regular issue.
Sounds like things that were ordered on a panic when 3 VP deployed in all green.

Interesting that the LBV was manufactured 3yrs ago, and we're just now seeing them! According to DND folk, the TV is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, and what do they go and do, issue another entirely different LBV :boring:
Just goes to show just how asleep at the switch the Ft. Fumble staff really are!!

Back