• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OICW. Will they work?

AZA-02

Inactive
Reaction score
The Americans have know moved another step in military performance.
OICW stands for Objective Individual Combat Weapon, Big @$$ name!

I read in the June issue of Special Weapons that it had a high recoil and that it was heavy,
too heavy because of the 20mm canon and rounds and the KE rifle under it. It looks like a HK G36.
HK help them design it. I also read that the 20mm rounds will have a fuse that explodes before hitting
the target for a wider kill zone?

What do you guy`s think? :gunner:

Know of any articles or pictures containing information about the weapon? Got me curious now.

Right here Noyon... http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm
Interesting piece of work if I do say so myself :)

-Nordwind

So, would that be a Special Forces only weapon, with the XM-8 becoming the regular soldier's weapon?  It just seems really complicated, too much going on, not to mention huge.

I heard they scrapped the OICW idea for the XM-8? correct me if im wrong

I believe you are right Razic.  As I understand it the XM-8 is actually the upper, small-calibre portion of the OICW with all the sighting gizmos incorporated.  The complexities of the large calibre unit is a step too far yet. 

The issue seems not just to have been recoil but trying to programme fuses as rounds left the weapon.  They have had some success with this on crew served weapons but, and here I am guessing, the combinations of fused rounds, sensors for the barrel, transmitters to relay information to the round, a control unit in the weapon would make for a pretty finicky nightmare to engineer and maintain.  Not to mention having to make it soldier-proof so that it would survive having somebody stick a pointy bit of metal on it and using it for a club.

Maybe next year :)

I can't picture it being used. If you compare it to our M16 / C7 currently being used, no doubt it's much heavier not to mention larger. I can't imagine what the average infantry or even special forces would have a need for a rifle that uses 20mm HE rounds. 20mm rounds could literally blow a person in half. We gotta keep in mind here that many aircraft throughout WW2 were using 20mm HE shells and for an example, the 109E would tear through a Hurricane MK.II's pilot armor which was made of metal, we're made of flesh and bone. Im more than sure that the velocity between the 2 are from 2 different worlds, but still?

Waste of resources and time in my opinion, we should be working on something that is light, compact and reliable and at the same time an innovation on our current rifle.

My 2 cents.

Generally it seems to me you are right about the need.

Just a point of clarification the idea behind the 20mm was to replace the 40mm single shot grenade launcher with a multiple-shot anti-materiel / area capability.  It wasn't intended primarily as a heavy anti-personnel rifle round.

:salute:

Images from world.guns.ru

if the pictures dont show just visit the site, it great.

Back