• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OICW-Objective Individual Combat Weapon

T

the patriot

Hello All,

Apparently the Americans have been working on a new toy for quite sometime. They are scheduled to replace the M-16 with the OICW within the next two or four years. Are we falling behind? This weapon has the capability of a 20 mm (programable) delayed explosive round along with the standard 5.56 mm. Take a look at it, it‘s quite interesting.

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/sci/9809STMIP.html

-the patriot-

I believe that you will find that during the field trials in Aberdeen that the complexity of the 20mm interface is causing more problems than anticipated by the original designers (H&K being the primary systems coordinator).

While the concept of a mobile ‘grendier‘ operator is not new (a la M203) the idea of having everyone on the squad/section/platoon to have the option is excellent. The problems of the logistical battle load are complex as well. For every 6 round 20mm magazine you will carry, you lose the equivalent weight of 3 x 30 round 5.56mm magazines. Given that the standard battle load for most american infanteers is 6 mags 5.56 loaded and 120 rds on clips stored, this is a massive reduction in close combat capability for the option of 20mm HE (blast radius is less that 1.5 meters fatal to 5 meters fragmentation). Ever use the M40 ‘golf ball‘ grenades? It‘s less effective than that.

Just my .02 cents worth

Dileas Gu Brath

A version of this weapon system was at Connaught ranges about two years ago when the Army was looking into the Army of tomorrow. The weapon is simply one part of the over package (i‘m not sure if the popular mechanics post went into any details besides the rifle/gun system).

In addition, each member would be wired with a computer on his back, GPS, Head Up Display (showing each member is located from fire team and up), personal communication gear, etc. When I saw the outfit it definitely reminded me of Heinlein‘s book "Starship Troopers" (no not the movie). The first units to get them would be the Ranger Battalions, light infantry, etc. The situational awareness it will give to section and platoon commanders on the ground will be incredible!

In the view of every operational commander the single most important ability for the situation on the ground is C3...Command, Control and Communications. If the technology can be effective in the dirtiest, vilest conditions that a combat are can produce, then the victor is the the superior C3. If, as Mr. Murphy like to point out to all of us on a regular basis, things go for shit on the tech side, the superior skills of a true warrior will prevail. Too many times in the recent past our technology has tried to overcome the enemy in the field and been defeated by no tech/low tech and the hearts of warriors.

Place your faith in the tools of war but be prepared, trained and motivated to close with and destroy the enemy with maximum force and aggression. Anything less and you will be defeated.

Dileas Gu Brath

Back