• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Oh, to be Danish..... *sigh*

Dog

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.army-guide.com/eng/article/article.php?forumID=317

Why haven't we purchased any of these things?

another Humvee(ish) kinda vehicle.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35535.0.html

We've apparently looked at it, or are maybe still looking at it (???)  This is the same vehicle discussed in the above thread.

Still not clear in my mnd whether the RG-31 was selected in place of the Duro/Eagle IV or whether it is being separately considered for different roles.

Dog said:
http://www.army-guide.com/eng/article/article.php?forumID=317

Why haven't we purchased any of these things?

Why do you feel that we should? What specific role would it be used for?

CanadianBoy92 said:
Those are look great and look reliable.

"Looking great" and "looking reliable" isn't much to go on...

We're buying 50 + 25 Nyala's with RWS, and we already have armored G-Wagons with turrets, not to mention LAV's, Coyotes and Bisons, so why do we need another platform?

Someone help me out here - to my eyes, the Eagle IV looks almost identical to the Duro APV
the government is looking at purchasing.

Or am I seeing something that isn't there?

CanadianBoy92 said:
Those are look great and look reliable.
Are you the guy from the Canadian Tire pressure washer ad? "Gas, eh? Sounds powerful."

Kirkhill said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35535.0.html

We've apparently looked at it, or are maybe still looking at it (???)  This is the same vehicle discussed in the above thread.

Still not clear in my mnd whether the RG-31 was selected in place of the Duro/Eagle IV or whether it is being separately considered for different roles.

Eland said:
Someone help me out here - to my eyes, the Eagle IV looks almost identical to the Duro APV
the government is looking at purchasing.

Or am I seeing something that isn't there?

Eagle IV was the trade name for a while, and may still be used for marketing in Europe (in Europe, the Duro is a well known light utility truck, which might make the wrong impression when you are tyringto market an APV). The RG-31 is considerably bigger than the Duro/Eagle, and is the modern wheeled analogue of an M-113 (i.e. a Battle Taxi)

3 million m² floorage of buildings
Approx. 34,000 personnel in the peace establishment
Approx. 700,000 storage units
25 schools and training centres
A total war strength of more than 81,000 men
15,000 vehicles
38 battleships and approx. 65 other vessels
32,000 hectares of area at disposal
69 figthers and approx. 75 other aircrafts

And they do it all on $2.8 billion US

Gettitng the most for our dollar is in the best interest of a 55 000 strong military with a $12 billion budget , perhaps we can get one of our 33 Generals to look into it.

And you can add with a population of 5 million. :-\

And composed in large part of national servicemen who wish they were somewhere else, doing something else... Nearly half of the Army is conscript.

Personnel Strength 2004
Category                              Army    Navy  Air Force    Joint service  Total

Officers                                1900    850    900                                3650
Non-commissioned officers    2200    850  1400                              4450
Regulars                            3300    1600  1800                              6700
Conscripts                          5150    500    100                                5750
Total military                        12550  3800  4200                              20550
Civilian                                2900    1500  1850          1100            7350
Total                                    15450  5300  6050        1100            27900

Activated forces in war time

Service  Army  Navy    Air Force  Total

Total    45.000  7.300  9.500      61.800

I don't know where Gunnerlove found his numbers, but I found mine here: http://forsvaret.dk/FKO/eng/Facts+and+Figures/Employees/

A particularly interesting figure lies with the fact there are only 1100 civilians for this force. How many in ours? 20,000? 

You're looking in the wrong column. It's actually 7350 civilians.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Maybe up to and during World War 1, the present Danish Navy uses Frigates and Corvettes.
I think he meant warships.

Jungle said:
I think he meant warships.

Agreed but showing that correct terminology is important. Saying Battleship to a sailor means a total different thing that 'warship'. :)

How come the navy has as many officers and NCOs? or am I reading that wrong?

Dutch soldiers I have worked with have always been very professional
and volunteers (though sometimes a little scruffy)
.... the Military is unionized... so is our RCMP - no reason why the Cdn military couldn't be unionized as well - lord knows that's how they treat us anyway with respect to dealing with Public service and military in the same way... we just don't pay union dues

Back