• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Question

Marshall

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if there was a special time of year to apply for Officer(and ROTP of course). Im completing Grade 12 this year and i was originally planning to wait half a year and go regular infantry but people said with my averages i should try officer instead (my averages are 85-95 areas). Do you have to apply for ROTP now? or is it any time in the year.

Thanks.

Apply as ROTP anytime - realize however that RMC starts in Sept so you've missed the deadline for this year.  Try for '09.  If your averages are that good you'll hopefully have a shot - note as well...it's not all about the marks but overall performance as a citizen, sportsman and student.

J

cool and yeah i know i missed it. I figure if i choose to wait and go officer then i can do lots of workouts and stuff on my year off (and work of course). Thanks for the info.

I wonder, are you allowed to apply to 09' early? (in couple months). And dunno if anyone knows this, but do they require transcripts?

Marshall said:
cool and yeah i know i missed it. I figure if i choose to wait and go officer then i can do lots of workouts and stuff on my year off (and work of course). Thanks for the info.

I wonder, are you allowed to apply to 09' early? (in couple months). And dunno if anyone knows this, but do they require transcripts?

Apply in late Aug or early Sept when the CFRC/Ds start their ROTP processing and yes they require transcripts.

not to take anything away from your accomplishment academically, but I have seen people who got 90s average in grade 11 who did poorly on their provincial exams in grade 12.  Focus on getting all your exams done first if you have not already done so then worry about applying for your ROTP. 

Best of luck,

;D

WaitingTime said:
not to take anything away from your accomplishment academically, but I have seen people who got 90s average in grade 11 who did poorly on their provincial exams in grade 12.  Focus on getting all your exams done first if you have not already done so then worry about applying for your ROTP. 

Best of luck,

;D

Typically it is normal/required to apply to university well before one would even think of doing provincial finals.  I was conditionally accepted 3 months to Memorial University before I did my finals.  However, I see your point, 2 - 3 weeks before finals, it should be the only thing on your mind at that time.

eh not trying to be cocky but ive never been one to fret over school or studying. Im a glider lol.

So early sept it is. thx

SteelHorse:  Typically, yes many students do get early acceptances into universities well before the final exams.  I got mine in January.  8)  Sometimes, It could be a bad thing to get accepted so early because some people would tend to slack off and not try as hard on their finals... Besides, this probably does not apply to Marshall since he missed the deadline for ROTP this year already so he would need his final grade 12 marks for his ROTP application.

Best of luck on your finals and ROTP, Marshall

tyvm WaitingTime. ^^

Itll give me a good year to exercise and get some $$ anyways. And if i dont make ROTP (im pretty positive my average will stay 80+ since i think its 90 right now.) Then reg NCM is fine since thats what i wanted at first anyways. All the info i needed, so bye ^^

Marshall,
Getting good marks doesn't necessarily mean you can become an officer. If you graduate this year and aren't sure what you want go to a recruiting centre and talk to a recruiter. Do some on line research and ask lots of questions. I know many applicants who have great marks and acceptances into college and /or university but don't do well on the CFAT. If you aren't sure go seek some advice at the recruiting centre, they have the answers. 

CFR FCS said:
Marshall,
Getting good marks doesn't necessarily mean you can become an officer. If you graduate this year and aren't sure what you want go to a recruiting centre and talk to a recruiter. Do some on line research and ask lots of questions. I know many applicants who have great marks and acceptances into college and /or university but don't do well on the CFAT. If you aren't sure go seek some advice at the recruiting centre, they have the answers.  
Don't forget the great resources that we have on here ;)

Baker

If I were you I'd join the reserves to bolster your chances as an RMC candidate.  Focus on exams first and then worry about getting into super shape.  My biggest mistake was not trying hard enough in highschool - I was in the B average range but back then the competition was extremely fierce for RMC spots.  Only three people in my city got a spot at RMC in '93 (Saint John, N.B) and two declined (to go on to full scholarships at Stanford and U of Waterloo repspectively).

The fellow at the recruiting centre told me he was shocked that folks with B and C averages were accepted to RMC for '08 start but it varies year by year.

J

Fireball said:
If I were you I'd join the reserves to bolster your chances as an RMC candidate.  Focus on exams first and then worry about getting into super shape.  My biggest mistake was not trying hard enough in highschool - I was in the B average range but back then the competition was extremely fierce for RMC spots.  Only three people in my city got a spot at RMC in '93 (Saint John, N.B) and two declined (to go on to full scholarships at Stanford and U of Waterloo repspectively).

The fellow at the recruiting centre told me he was shocked that folks with B and C averages were accepted to RMC for '08 start but it varies year by year.

J

Also get involved in as many sports and community organizations as you can if you haven't already. It's a myth that RMC takes only straight-A students –  while you have to be smart, there are the three other pillars to consider, and a surprising number turn out to have been good, but not great, high school students when you ask them about it. As one of the officers down there put it to me recently, pure bookworms may have great marks but they don't do really well at RMC.

If you're a civvy U student, when are you supposed to apply for ROTP? This ROTP applicant file is dated(05') but it didn't specificy when I should apply. I was hoping to apply in September 2009 as I'll be in my 3rd year.
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:swQS-sMxA_cJ:64.254.158.112/pdf/ROTP%2520Quest%2520Part%25201_en.pdf+rotp+canadian+forces&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Fireball said:

J

Really, averages that low? I almost went for ROTP but then I decided I want to work for a living.  ;D

AlphaQup said:
If you're a civvy U student, when are you supposed to apply for ROTP? This ROTP applicant file is dated(05') but it didn't specificy when I should apply. I was hoping to apply in September 2009 as I'll be in my 3rd year.

For both Civvy U and RMC, you apply the fall of the year before you start sponsorship (eg. I submitted my application in Oct '07 for a Sept '08 start.)  Typically, all of the files are processed on similar timeframes, with selections done in the spring.

So, if you want to start ROTP in the fall of '09, apply in the fall of '08.

Barts said:
For both Civvy U and RMC, you apply the fall of the year before you start sponsorship (eg. I submitted my application in Oct '07 for a Sept '08 start.)  Typically, all of the files are processed on similar timeframes, with selections done in the spring.

So, if you want to start ROTP in the fall of '09, apply in the fall of '08.
Thank you.

Back