• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Board Interview ....? Any Hints or Suggestions to Prepare

kambizs

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Gentleman, I have my officer board interview comming up next week. I already passed my intial interview with the Captain of the unit. I have been part of a different unit in the army for over 4 years as an NCM and will be commisioning. Now my question for you guys is what questions will be asked during the board interview? I consider myself an excellent officer candiate and have been looking into it for quite some time. Anything will help.
  :army:

Having sat on many Officer Selection Boards both as a member and as chair, I offer the following advice:

1. Brush up on current affairs, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.

2. Know who your political representatives are at the local, provincial and national levels.

3. Be prepared to answer the question "Why do you wish to become an Officer in this unit?"

4. Think about your answers before you give it.

5. If you do not know the answer to a question, state that fact, don't try to bluff your way through.

6. Make sure you show up for the board at least 10-15 min prior to the scheduled time for the board.

7. Dress appropriately. If you are in uniform, make sure it is in good shape, if you are in civilian attire, Jacket and Tie!

8. Portray confidence without being cocky.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

BNH

On my board I was hazy (if not completely remiss) about what courses I had taken; when and where; and what postings I had taken; when and where.  That caused some disconsternation (approaching belligerence, actually) with the selection Officer.  I was a Sgt (with a lot of courses) when I CFR'd and hadn't really thought about it. So, if you can, have look at your files and know when you took what, at least to the year.

Think of why you should be given the privilege of leading Canadian soldiers.

. Know who your political representatives are at the local, provincial and national levels?

With that being said, are we speaking about members of parliment?

City Councillors, Mayor, Member of Provincial Legislative Assembly (MLA), High profile Pronvincial Ministers, Provincial Party Leaders, Member of Parliament (MP), National Party Leaders, High profile Federal Cabinet Ministers, Prime Minister, Governor General, and others.

1.  Look the person asking the question in the eyes.

2.  When shaking hands also look the person in the eyes. Don't show your fitness by trying to break their fingers.

3.  If you don't know an answer, say so.

4.  Don't put you elbows on the table.

5.  Don't fold your arms.

6.  Always look confident.

7.  Have questions of your own prepared, nine time out of ten, they will always ask you if you have any questions.

8.  Don't memorize your answers, to obvious.

9.  Don't look around the room.

10. Dress the part.

11. Most importantly, be the soldier you are, never fails.

Thank you gentleman for your informative posts. I guess my main concern is directed to their questions? The captian interviewing me already was speaking on getting me on the novembers course. So I guess I can take that as a strong indication that I already am a strong canidate.

Asides from knowing current affairs, members of parliment is there anything else that i should look out for? Hopefully, It will not be as tedious or grueling as I imagine it to be.

Back