• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Occupations for ROTP?

The Forces.ca website shows you all the available officer trades.  It also for each shows the applicable entry plans. Beyond that try the thread Trades Open Closed  or call the local recruiting centre.

Your best bet is to call the recruiting centre since the thread referred to tends to deal with direct entry trades and ROTP tries to focus on the forecast needs 4 to 5 years from now.

Say if I do 4 years in RMC and get a science degree. Is there any way they can send you to medical school in the 5 years of obligatory service?

I'm asking because being a physician in the military has been a dream of mine forever.

Hope someone has the answer to my question!  :)

raykwon said:
Say if I do 4 years in RMC and get a science degree. Is there any way they can send you to medical school in the 5 years of obligatory service?

I'm asking because being a physician in the military has been a dream of mine forever.

I've never heard of it happening.  They have sent people fresh out of RMC to do Masters degrees, but those positions are very limited and competitive, as well, you incur additional obligatory service as a result.  A better bet would be to do your bachelor's degree on your own and apply for MOTP for medical school.

raykwon said:

The Military Medical Training Plan (MMTP) is the subsidized education program under which serving CF members may be selected to attend medical school.

This page discusses the MMTP. 
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/rec/phys-med/mmtp-pmem-eng.asp
. . . . . .

Eligibility to Apply for CF-Subsidized Medical Training

CFAO 9-62 is in the process of being updated. In the interim, eligibility criteria to apply for MMTP and MMTP(SI) are set by DMCARM/DGMC in consultation with DGHS. Some of the key basic eligibility criteria include the following:

- have completed a minimum of three years full-time university
- meet the minimum medical standard for Medical Officers; and
- have sufficient time remaining in their current terms of service to be able to complete the associated period of obligatory service following medical training.

While the eligibility criteria for MMTP largely remains the same from year to year, the eligibility criteria for MMTP(SI) may change from year-to-year in order to best meet the needs and priorities of the CF. For example, during periods when the CF is critically short of Medical Officers, the intention would be to broaden the eligibility rules for applicants so as to increase the total number of MMTP starts in any one year. These broadened eligibility criteria might include, for example, opening up the program to applicants with less CF experience, or from MOSIDs which have previously not been eligible to apply for MMTP, or even to those still on obligatory service, such as recent ROTP graduates. It should be noted that for those still on OS who are sponsored through MMTP, the two periods of OS will be added and the new OS period will not begin until the individual has fully completed their medical training and comes to duty as a Medical Officer.

However, even during those periods when the eligibility criteria are broadened, the CF MMTP Selection Board, chaired by DMCARM, will still merit list the applicants on the basis of the anticipated value to the CF the applicant would bring as a Medical Officer. Criteria that have been used in the past for this merit listing process include:

- PER's;
- Course Reports;
- letter of recommendation from Commanding Officer;
- successful and diverse experiences in the CF, such as taskings and deployments;
- demonstrated academic potential;
- second language skills; and
- biographical letter

. . . . . .

Though the above mentions that CFAO 9-62 is in the process of being updated, it is still a valid reference. http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/cfa-oaf/009-62-eng.asp

. . . . .

5. To be eligible for selection for a training plan, an applicant must:

a.  normally be in an officer MOC other than Chaplain, Pharmacy, Dental, Medical, Legal or Music;
b.  not normally be above the rank of captain;
c.  on 1 Sep of the year in which training under a training plan is to commence -
    (1)  not be serving on a period of obligatory service in respect of other military sponsored courses, and
    (2)  have served three years in the Regular Force after qualifying in the basic level classification specifications for the officer MOC as defined in Chapter 3 of A-PD-150-001/AG-001, Officer Classification Structure;
d.  Superseded by ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05

Note - Superseded by ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05

e.  have proof from a Canadian university of eligibility for admission into a dental, law or medical faculty of that university;
f.  be medically fit for the applicable new officer MOC; and
g.  meet such other requirements as may be prescribed by the CDS.

. . . . . .

It would be highly unlikely for someone to go directly from subsidized education (i.e. ROTP) into further subsidized education under MMTP but it is not unheard (but still rare) that someone could be selected for MMTP while still serving a period of obligatory service.  I've known a couple, but they were exceptions to the rule.

Okay, so I understand that this approach is very far-fetched...

If I decide to do as D3 suggested, how many years of obligatory service is there after the MMTP program? Is it also 5 years?

Since I'm finishing up grade 11 now, I'm trying to find a solid career path so I can reach my long term goal of being a doctor.

Thanks!

Back