• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Occupational Transfer to MP

You will no longer require the course,but will require a Canadian HS Diploma, apparently GED does not count.

That good, you mean Hi school diploma ?
I have that ;), Somebody know when the rule will change ?

Yes High School Diploma, it was supposedly to change as of April 1st. Call a BPSO and confirm. If you get told the old standard, start investigating..... I would start at the MP Academy in Borden.

a ok thanks i will check
I might wait a bit before, i du for my CPL soon, like in a month, so i will wait for that, that might help me, also, i will wait to be comon Law with my girl friend, in case i get posted after, i will like to stay here, because i just bought the house last years, and like it in gagetown. So at least if im comon law, if i get posted will be easyer.
Well thanks everybody ;)
I will try in September

From what Ive been hearing from the MPs in Borden they've dropped the pre-req of the 2 year course and you do a 6 month course now.

But in saying that a friend is trying to remuster and the BPSO in Borden told him that he needs the course. This conflicts with what Ive been told by a school instructor there though, so I would definitely check into things.

From experience admin can be a bit on the slack side on occasions.

Hello everyone, before I ask my question I would like to say sorry if this is posted already (I took a quick scan of the forum but really didn't find what I was looking for).

I was wondering if it was possible to join the Military Police through the Infantry (or any other trade) without the required college diploma. The reason I am asking is because my Godfather was able to do just this with 4 years of service with the Navy (be it though he has been in the Military for over 25 years now). The reason for joining Infantry first is just the plain interest of the overall job and unique experiences involved with the trade.

Also, (just for the sake of argument) that I was able to tansfer to the MP's without a diploma, would that hinder my ability for promotions or different positions.

On a side note since I am already writing, I heard the military payed for some forms of education, would they pay for the required diploma if I was in the Infantry if I showed interest in transferring to the MP's or if I needed it would I have to on my own dime (not that I have a problem with that I am just wondering).

Thanks

In my opinion, you're thinking too far ahead.

It is great to plan for the future, but the kind of thing you are contemplating has the potential to fail because you don't exactly just waltz right through Infantry training like you would training for Wal-Mart.

You are in for some significant challenges and if your mind isn't in it (that you want to be an Infanteer) you may be setting yourself up for failure by not being as willing to endure the misery like the other guys on the course.

thehare said:
I was wondering if it was possible to join the Military Police through the Infantry (or any other trade) without the required college diploma.

Topic: "Occupational Transfer to MP":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/72615/post-696080.html#msg696080

Topic: "OT to MP (Occupation Transfer)":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/40426/post-343462.html#msg343462

Topic: "MP OT's":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/83427/post-813181.html#msg813181

Hare, did you see this? Just in case you did not:
Police Foundations: "Distance Education":
All but three (3) courses for the two-year Police Foundations Diploma Program are offered through Distance Education.  The three remaining courses, PFP1000, PFP4091 and PFP4097 will have to be completed on campus at Algonquin College.":
http://www.algonquincollege.com/distance/programs_courses/diploma/police_foundations.html

I asked my recruiting centre the same questions last year. I was told that subsidized education was not available for the police foundations diploma. Occupational transfer is available to RegF members who have two full credit college/university courses that relate to policing (criminology, psych, soc, law, etc).

First off I would like to thank everyone for the quick replies.

Petamocto said:
In my opinion, you're thinking too far ahead.

It is great to plan for the future, but the kind of thing you are contemplating has the potential to fail because you don't exactly just waltz right through Infantry training like you would training for Wal-Mart.

You are in for some significant challenges and if your mind isn't in it (that you want to be an Infanteer) you may be setting yourself up for failure by not being as willing to endure the misery like the other guys on the course.

In regards with this comment, the reason I posted this comment is because I would love a career in either of these trades and I realize that I would not be able to waltz through either of the training these trades offer. I would just like the chance to serve in both of these trades and I am just trying to set myself up so that I might get the chance to reach this goal.

Again thank you all for your replies.

If your heart is in it, then you will be successful.  Good luck with your adventures.

I am looking at doing an occupational transfer from the Infantry.  I'm wondering how it would work for me as most of what I have read in the search function was for guys on PAT or guys without completed College/Mil leadership courses.

Im MOD6 Infantry qualified (sans rank though), been on tour, and I already completed the College Course requirements years ago.  So far I understand I have to initiate with a memo through my COC and an appointment to the BPSO.

thanks

Hey! I am currently in the process of OT'ing  to MP. You have the process right so far, the first step is to apply through your chain of command (I found all the forms and the process of submission on the DIN and under our BPSO's webpage) . If the BPSO feels that you are a good fit after your interview, they will forward your file for further application.  You may  then receive a selection letter for the  MPAC (location varies I've found and I waited months to get it) and they decide if you will be suitable from there (going to the MPAC is not necessarily an indication of whether or not you will be accepted). That's as far as I've gotten right now.

I don't have any of the post secondary requirements that a new CF applicant needs, they are not required for an OT but may be helpful if trade related.

Hope it all works out for you.

Good thing is, most OT's (especially from the Cbt Arms) are some of the best MP's we have. With your qual's listed including tour, you should have no problem being able to swap over. The only thing getting in the way is the numbers game, as they're not accepting too many MP's OT side. However, if you have time to kill and are succesfully selected upon completion of MPAC, it should be nothing but playing the waiting game.

Hope you manage to score a position at an MP det, and not getting stuck at a field pl. We have a mbr getting posted into 1 MP Pl straight from QL3. Also another mbr was 12 years 3rd Bn PPCLI, MCpl, Small Arms Qualified, spent 3 years at a det in Gander, and then on posting to Edmonton... you guessed it, Field Platoon! It's really not a horrible go, sometimes it's a pretty gucci meathead field time, others it's more like Infantry Lite, and 90% of people have no idea what they're doing.

Overall Good luck!

I'm also looking to an OT from the Navy to Mp,

I saw on the DIN that College is not necessary but a tour is necessary for OT.

Does anybody know what kind of tour would be accepted by the BPSO for someone in a Hard sea trade? Would it only be afghanistan?

If I recall correctly, the tour is only a requirement if you are a Reservist and doing a CT or CT/OT.  If you are Reg Force and doing an OT, it is preferred that you have a couple of college or university credits in an applicable subject but you can do an OT with neither.

I can't get on the DIN right now but the tour was listed under 'experience required' and all this was under Occupational transfer. (it said the tour is required if you don't have PF)

I decided to post this here in the hope that someone may have more knowledge regarding this as opposed to the Occupational and Component Transfers Forum.

I understand that someone looking to go direct entry to MP requires police foundations, however, I'm looking for information for OT'ing to MP from another Reg Force Trade. Do you still require the police foundations?

Secondly, what exactly is the process for OT'ing to MP? I remember someone from my old unit who was doing the testing for it, I recall it involving some sort of PT test and maybe other testing?
If anyone could give me the exact process that would be involved, IE. PT test, interview, etc.

I tried to search for this information already but couldn't seem to come up with it.

Thanks

I don't have the answers but I know someone that does!  If I were you, I'd set up a meeting with the BPSO and have a sit down with him/her to get all the relevant information on the requirements and the process.

First though, I would sit down with my supervisor and talk about your career ambitions!

Back