• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Northern GG for a northern power

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Don Martin: Northern GG for a northern power
Posted: February 17, 2010, 4:50 PM by NP Editor
Article Link

There's a rough script being written in the Prime Minister's Office on how Stephen Harper will crown Canada's next Governor General.

The plan, according to one informed source which the PMO didn't dismiss as delusional speculation Wednesday, would see Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean replaced July 1 on the eve of her fifth anniversary as a phenomenally popular force of personality and fashion sense.

The unique twist would see the 28th vice regal sworn in by Queen Elizabeth II herself during her nine-day tour of Canada which starts June 28.

If a British monarch anointing his or her colonial stand-in has happened before in Canadian history, our trusty librarian can't find the precedent nor can Rideau Hall flacks or the Library of Parliament.

There's no denying it would add a jolt of historic pomp and royal circumstance to a swearing-in ceremony that, my source cautioned, could be still be delayed until early fall. 

But Her Excellency's prompt replacement after the five-year unofficial term expires in September is seen as important to this prime minister. He aims to put his stamp on the position quickly just in case a fall vote changes the government and takes away his crowning achievement.

Then again, Mr. Harper might just want a hand-picked successor on standby in case an emergency parliamentary adjournment is required to avert another political disaster. 

Just kidding, of course. It'll be a cold day in coalition hell before Mr. Harper casually prorogues again, having watched his approval ratings freefall following January's parliamentary unplugging. 

While the appointment of a new Governor General has no impact on the government's agenda and the chosen one has few powers, it does add some symbolic significance to the appointing prime minister's record.

Now, let that record show that any hurry-up replacement is not because Michaelle Jean and Stephen Harper are exchanging hostile fire across Sussex Drive.

It's true we still wonder why a routine chat dragged on for two hours before Ms. Jean granted his 2008 prorogation request and there was obvious tension when Mr. Harper openly challenged her incorrect self-designation as Canada's head of state. 

But mostly it's because Ms. Jean's resume is filled with everything Mr. Harper will reject for consideration as his governor general designate.

Ms. Jean was a CBC television talent with an arts and culture pedigree and sovereigntist links through her filmmaker husband.

Mr. Harper will undoubtedly appoint someone less representative of the gala gang and more in keeping with his political agenda.

Enter Mary Simon, the current leader of the Inuit as president of the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, who served as former ambassador to Denmark, a university chancellor and constitutional negotiator for her people. 

Her invitation to join the VIP circle at a Winter Olympics reception last Friday along with Ms. Jean and Mr. Harper was interesting if not indicative of any future appointment.

An aide who raised the speculation with Ms. Simon personally confided she would be "gung ho" to tackle the job if asked and, while she is bilingual in English and her native Inuit tongue, would welcome the chance to dive into immersion to become fluent in French.

The bonus is that Ms. Simon fits perfectly with Stephen Harper's desire to bolster the Arctic region economically through a buildup of northern sovereignty defences.  If there's a face of the truest north, Mary Simon is it.

The other early favourite for consideration is retired Gen. John de Chastelain, a former chief of defence staff, ambassador to the U.S. and chair of the decommissioning effort in Ireland. 
More on link

Here is a Wikipedia biography.

This is the lady:

image002.jpg

She is pretty well qualified, or will be when she learns French. People have been rather spoiled by recent GG's language skills.

Is that a seal-skin vest?! Hell ya, bring her on-board!  :nod:

Don Martin says (above) that: "The other early favourite for consideration is retired Gen. John de Chastelain, a former chief of defence staff, ambassador to the U.S. and chair of the decommissioning effort in Ireland."

He would be a great choice but he was born in 1937, that makes him 73 years old, he would be 80 in 2017 when a 'term' might reasonably be expected to end. The Queen, however, is 84 and she's doing the job well enough in the UK.

117980469-M.jpg

Gen (Ret'd) de Chastelain at a Calgary Highlanders dinner a few (four?) years ago.

I don't know, I am fond of the present tradition of having a women of an ethnic minority as Governor-General.

mellian said:
I don't know, I am fond of the present tradition of having a women of an ethnic minority as Governor-General.

Uhhhhh....sooooooooo.....a female Jamaican minority is better for us than a female Inuit minority........right.....

GAP said:
Uhhhhh....sooooooooo.....a female Jamaican minority is better for us than a female Inuit minority........right.....

???

Having a female Inuit as GG would fulfill what I said, which was basically an indirect response to the post before it.

Also, current Governor-General is Haitian. 

Well, Prince John does wear a kilt whenever the opportunity arises.

Wait, what the heck does a GG's ability to represent Canada has anything with gender or ethnic background? Last time I checked, favoring somebody because of gender or race is discrimination. Or does it only apply to white males?

The incongruous said:
Wait, what the heck does a GG's ability to represent Canada has anything with gender or ethnic background? Last time I checked, favoring somebody because of gender or race is discrimination. Or does it only apply to white males?

It represents Canada's diversity, multiculturalism, and in a way equality. Not just to the world, but to those living within Canada. Also the fact that the current and last Governor-Generals have helped refresh the position, and making it more mainstream and accepted in Canada. 

I feel putting a 70 turning 80 white male would create the impression we are going backwards, and in turn detoriate further public confidence in the government and our government system. 

Folks, do we need to turn a simple opinion comment into the main debate here? Let's try to return to the main topic, like mature adults.

Thank you.

Milnet.ca Staff

If we are going to continue with this monarchical system ..... :(
I would like to see a GG who carries on with the profile of the present and previous GG.
People who add sparkle, wit and class to a parliament and government lacking the same.

Posted by: E.R. Campbell:  Today at 16:52:31

Well, Prince John does wear a kilt whenever the opportunity arises.

And he can pipe himself in.

Rifleman62 said:
And he can pipe himself in.

Yes, indeed; and he's got a pretty impressive rack (of medals), too.

John de Chastelian has served Canada well. I'm not sure he would be grateful for the honour, he's had a busy retirement. But, if the offer was made I suspect he would feel duty bound to serve, regardless of what his personal desires might be.

I like Mary Simon for the position, especially with the focus on the Artic in the past couple of years and probably in the years ahead.

The last two GG's have actually enhanced the position to Canada's benefit, but Michaëlle Jean resounded more solidly with the populace than Adrienne Clarkson

Back