• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-IRP Moves

DonaldMcL

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone fimilar with these types of moves? Being posted to CFB Winnipeg on course for a year, and it's been like chewing foil with a mouth full of cavities trying to determine what my entitlements are.

I've gone from, two bags and a plane ticket, to a full IRP move, back to Non-IRP.

Being fairly new to the forces, this kind of thing is soaring right over my head. Atleast if I can go into the WOR and have half a clue, I might stand a chance.

Cheers!

I'm sure you're not the only one who is in this boat this year, what with all the wonky changes being made to the CFIRP.

Simple answer:  See your IRP agent.  If your entitlements are still not clear, ask them to clarify.  Repeat as necessary.  Their sole raison d'être is to ensure you understand what your entitlements are, and to implement your educated choices.  I can't understand why someone wouldn't utilize an IRP move, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't a good reason not to use them.

So, go back and see them.  They're paid to make sure you get from point A to point B as efficiently as possible.

As far as entitlements go - an oversimplified but general rule of thumb is:  Most reasonable costs incurred with moving HG&E are covered, if it's a cost move.  With very few exceptions, nothing should come out of your pocket.

It's been a nightmare to be honest.

The posting message simply states "Member to report to local orderly room to determine entitlements" and that's when it went down hill.

They told me, originally, I'm entitled to a plane ticket and two bags... I kind of did the blank stare.
Then, they told me, effective April 1st, I was entitled to a full IRP Move via Royal Lepage.
I started doing the paperwork with them, and was handed an email stating moves for non-trained members will now be handed back to the local orderly rooms.

My main concern is what I shall do with my house, especially since I was told I'd be posted back upon completion of my course, although I take that with a grain of salt.

I can't say for definite until I get back to work, but if I am pretty sure you won't get an IRP move until you are fully trained, until then it is one way move claim taking you to your crse.  Meanwhile, you won't have to pay for quarters, as you have a mortgage payment.  Once you have completed your training, you will be returned on a one way claim (ok, can I stress plse finalize both claims, I can't say how many weather techs that have come and gone and never finalized their claim)  At that point you will get your first posting (there are some new rules in AP 2009 that have come out about new QL3's, I am uncertain of what it says until I get to work to check that out)

Old policy according to the APS 08 relocation directive:

(Limitation) CF members who enrol or re-enrol, or transfer from the Reserve
Force to the Regular Force, and have not successfully completed the basic
military occupation or trade training or its equivalent for the occupation or
trade for which they enrol, re-enrol or transfer are not entitled to relocation
benefits under the CFIRP,

New policy according to the APS 09 relocation directive effective 1 Apr 09 is:

(Limitation) CF members who enrol or re-enrol, or transfer from the Reserve Force to the Regular Force, and have not successfully completed basic military training are not entitled to relocation benefits under the CFIRP.

Who was the email from? No policy clarification posted to the site and no CANFORGEN.

Posting message should indicate if you are authorized to move or not (most likely not for one year). I would go with plane ticket, two bags and shipping CMTT.

Posting message states;

THIS IS A NON-IRP MOVE
MOVE OF (D) HG AND E RESTRICTED IAW CFAO BLHBLAHBLAHBLAH

I took that to the local WOR to determine entitlements. They said, that effective April 1, there was no such thing as non-irp moves, thus I was going through Royal Lepage. Fine and dandy I thought.

Went to see them, started the paperwork and gathering the required documents, went to drop them off and was given a copy of an email from Maj. Gash@CMP DGCB, and states;

"As an interim measure, with this email as the the departmental authority.... this is a reversion to the policy that had been in place durign APS 2008 and prior."

My problem lies with, what to do with my house? Seems pointless to sell it only to return in a years time. My fiancee is moving to Winnipeg in August with me, and have permission for IR until that time (I dont blame her, the course is a year long, and I had just recently finished basic). Royal Lepage orignally told me, I'd be given the majority of my mortgage payment to keep the house. Which was perfect, only to be pulled away from under me.

My favorite part is, the WOR had never heard of this email either. They are currently "looking into it" for me, but I leave in less than two weeks.

Fun times

oh crap - one of those.  Gotta love it when they do that - lets change policy and not tell anyone but ourselves.

Any chance you get to soften the blow with PLD?

yep - that means I  think you are screwed out of the sweet deal.

Winnipeg's PLD is a grand $0

But if I continue to own my house, I can collect PLD from here correct?
Also, can I remain on IR if/when my fiancee comes to Winnipeg with me?

DonaldMcL said:
Winnipeg's PLD is a grand $0

But if I continue to own my house, I can collect PLD from here correct?
Also, can I remain on IR if/when my fiancee comes to Winnipeg with me?

PLD from location of primary residence - Yes
IR after fiancee moves to be with you - Probably not because if your fiancee is living with you, you no longer meet all the requirements for IR.

Here (again) is the DCBA Aide Memoire.  IR/TR benefits start on page 28 (Chap 2, Sect 3).

Mods, perhaps we could post the link for the Aide Memoire and sticky it?

PLD is for the location of your primary residence.  If you are already in a PLD area you should already be receiving it since the date you enrolled im my opinion (on going dispute with others that have never proven otherwise, even I get the clerk that says its in the regs somewhere but can't find it).

See last para of this ref:  http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/dppd/pld/engraph/PLD_FAQ_e.asp?sidesection=8&sidecat=12

and:  CBI 205.45(1)

Back