• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No jobs in the army, need advice.

ttlbmg said:
I'm not sure if you grasped how it was stated, but in order to see if there are jobs at a reserve unit, you have to contact the actual reserve unit. If you look the force.ca website, you don't get an accurate picture of what jobs are available  at different reserve units around the country. Each reserve unit has intake numbers of their own, and a contact person that can let you know if their specific reserve unit would be accepting applications for something such as infantryman. That is why people gave you the website info for that. You have to call each individual reserve unit to see what positions each offers, whether they accept new applicants or previously trained applicants. (if you look on the application process samples thread, you will see that some people have been accepted into reserve units for different trades, trades that may not appear open on the forces.ca website) I hope that helps, good luck

Right on that actually helps a ton. Thanks

dangles said:
From my experience as a reserve infantryman,

10 whole weekends of BMQ.  ;D

I have a big enough grasp of my job to know that a lot of work is the norm in my trade. It is true that I am still waiting to do DP1 in July, but from what I hear of my friends who are going through the June course, a lot of the stuff from BMQ-L carries over...

OK, seriously please just stop.  Its ok that you have no TI other than BMQ.  I just don't think you should be spoutin' off about how hard the Infantry is, or how slack the Navy is. 

I don't go off about how slack the Navy is (even knowing they get jesus soup at 10..) 'cause I've never sailed.  I also have no valueable opinion on how hard it is to space-walk either, and I'm ok with that. 

Don't dig this any deeper, there is no need.  You get the point, I'm sure. 

Cheers

mikewalker28 said:
We'll, hey. If it was really that bad, You would have stopped replying. I'm not going to sit here and have a nerd battle with some burnt out forum geeks.

I have 'Spoken with a recruiter'.
I must have misunderstood the purpose of this website, I thought it was a forum for information, and this was the 'recruiting' section of the forum.

Update
you
obsolete
forces.gc.ca
and
affiliated
websites

Talking and punching enter is fun.

I'd bang my head against a brick wall as we'll but I'm actually laughing at your dilemma being anger - frustration from some one looking for basic information about recruitment, I really hope for your sake your personal life and job do not stress you out as much as a single person on a web site does. If that's the case you might want to consider a hug ?

No anger here.  I said I was laughing, because I was.  and HEY who told you I was a nerd burn out geek thing?  That is supposed to be a secret!

Relax, I wasn't taking a dump on you and the last thing I am is stressed because you are confused.  ;D

Good luck with whatever it is you decide.

Eye In The Sky said:
No anger here.  I said I was laughing, because I was.  and HEY who told you I was a nerd burn out geek thing?  That is supposed to be a secret!

Relax, I wasn't taking a dump on you and the last thing I am is stressed because you are confused.  ;D

Good luck with whatever it is you decide.

It sounds to me like you took the advice on the hug  :warstory:

The information that the previous poster gave me was sufficient, I did not realize the forces.gc.ca website was not up to date with local recruitment offices in different zones, I'm going to take a look into the Scottish regiment i believe the name is, there was a link posted on page one.

Again thank you for the information.

No prob.  You have alot of info from people here, willing to help and who know the ropes.  Cheers and good luck.

CDN Aviator said:
Should probably have listened top the recruiter too.

"your"

:facepalm:
I really need to work on that spelling thing, 'spell check' does not correct error in human logic I guess.
Where the hell are fuzzy logic - neural network platforms when you need them  :crybaby:

And I actually did listen, I was just confused on a couple of things, being the rangers. and QOR

Like I said I actually read all 44 of pages excluding the frech section of
The Role of the Militia
in Today’s Canadian Forces
Jack English | September 2011
Before I even made my post here, and atleast made an attempt to educate my self as much as google would allow me , this was actually my last option for information, you guys have been more than helpfull.

Mike,

I don't know who is telling you that the Canadian Scottish Reiment isn't recruiting. I know for a fact that we are still recruiting, in all 3 locations on Vancouver Island.

PM - If you want more information. I can also get you to talk to the right people.

charlesm said:
Mike,

I don't know who is telling you that the Canadian Scottish Reiment isn't recruiting. I know for a fact that we are still recruiting, in all 3 locations on Vancouver Island.

Because he just looked on the CF Recruiting website and saw that the Infantry doesn't have the check mark for taking applications, etc  He assumed that meant for the entire Canadian Forces(Reg Force and Reserve). 

-Skeletor- said:
Because he just looked on the CF Recruiting website and saw that the Infantry doesn't have the check mark for taking applications, etc  He assumed that meant for the entire Canadian Forces(Reg Force and Reserve).

That's incorrect, It didn't have job listings for either Reg or Reserve, and local media etc, have flooded Google with misleading hype on military cuts and no jobs available, so when i Google. "infantry positions in the Canadian military" the first 100 pages are going to come up with some reporters spin on what's going on in the military, because they have a page rank of 6 apposed to http://www.canadianscottishregiment.ca/ having a PR of 2, and being at the back of the line with the software Google uses to database - list pages. It makes it impossible to sift through bullshit and find fact, this is why I'm here asking questions and not punching useless data into a search engine, I've been trying to find militia groups - other options since 5:00 AM As I stated.

Reserve infantry can be competitive too. I have ten infantry NCM spots to fill between now and April, and already a number more qualified applicants than that. The military is no easier to get into than most other jobs. A bit more effective research and a bit less attitude will serve you well when it comes time to convince a recruiter that you know what you're getting into, and that you're worth our investment in time and resources. Each of us 'online forum burnouts' has a fair bit going on outside of this place; you may not wish to assume that our time is worth less than yours.

Take that free advice for what it's worth.

Brihard said:
Reserve infantry can be competitive too. I have ten infantry NCM spots to fill between now and April, and already a number more qualified applicants than that. The military is no easier to get into than most other jobs. A bit more effective research and a bit less attitude will serve you well when it comes time to convince a recruiter that you know what you're getting into, and that you're worth our investment in time and resources. Each of us 'online forum burnouts' has a fair bit going on outside of this place; you may not wish to assume that our time is worth less than yours.

Take that free advice for what it's worth.
I do apologize for coming off as rude, no excuses.

What are some things I can do personally to improve my chances of being accepted into a part time position, maybe stand out in-front of the more than likely 1000s of applications that you will have bye then, any advise from a recruiters standpoint. Between now and April the sky is the limit for me, would my education be taken into consideration in the recruitment process ? I pretty much stopped attending school half way through grade 10. Would upgrading my education be something that would help ?

If you did not complete grade 10, you cannot join any trade in the CF.

mikewalker28 said:
That's incorrect, It didn't have job listings for either Reg or Reserve, and local media etc, have flooded Google with misleading hype on military cuts and no jobs available, so when i Google. "infantry positions in the Canadian military" the first 100 pages are going to come up with some reporters spin on what's going on in the military, because they have a page rank of 6 apposed to http://www.canadianscottishregiment.ca/ having a PR of 2, and being at the back of the line with the software Google uses to database - list pages. It makes it impossible to sift through bullshit and find fact, this is why I'm here asking questions and not punching useless data into a search engine, I've been trying to find militia groups - other options since 5:00 AM As I stated.

I was going off this statement of yours
mikewalker28 said:
As far as the forces.gc.ca site says, there are 0 jobs at the moment for reserves unless I want to be a meteorologist / combat engineer.

For finding out info regarding military recruiting, positions open,  don't read articles about budget cuts, and typing things into google.  Just go straight to the source.  Canadian Forces Recruiting Centers,  Reserve units and the recruiting website for an idea of whats going on(not always update on current openings and it would only list Reg Force)

mikewalker28 said:
I pretty much stopped attending school half way through grade 10. Would upgrading my education be something that would help ?

Having grade 10 completed is the bare minimum to join the CF(some trades require more educaton).  Not having grade 10 would disqualify you from joining.. as well even if you had your grade 10 those who finished high school,  went to college, etc will look better then someone who didn't complete high school.  Recruiting is very competitive,  so the better education,  experience, etc you have the better you will look.

CDN Aviator said:
If you did not complete grade 10, you cannot join any trade in the CF.
What is defined as finishing grade 10 I actually stayed in school until grade 12, but didn't attend any of my core courses what so ever, I think I may have finished my math 10 - Eng 10 at best, I'd have to pull up my transcripts.

I will have to upgrade at a local college then thank you for the information!

Not to sound rude,  but if you stayed in school through your grade 12 year but at best only finished/passed your grade 10 Math and English what did you do all those years? 

Have you done anything since then to try to upgrade education?  Or just considering it now to be eligible to join the CF?

For now,  put the CF on the back burner, still research and figure out what you want, but focus on getting your GED at a minimum.  There's also a number of threads here that have info about making yourself look more attractive to recruiters/boards that may put you ahead of others.

-Skeletor- said:
Not to sound rude,  but if you stayed in school through your grade 12 year but at best only finished/passed your grade 10 Math and English what did you do all those years? 

We'll, I skipped allot of school, I was working at the age of 15 and moved out when I was 16 , when i was in highschool I was coding & debugging software in C - ASM for styleworx media in Calgary making allot of money, school did not seem important to me at at the time, and I did take computer Itech in medicine hat but dropped out of the course.

And no I have not done anything to upgrade, I haven't had anything in my life until now where I've needed my highschool.

For now,  put the CF on the back burner, still research and figure out what you want, but focus on getting your GED at a minimum.  There's also a number of threads here that have info about making yourself look more attractive to recruiters/boards that may put you ahead of others.

I'll look into those threads, and put CF on the back burner.

P.S, is this a military website, or a civilian site ? I'm pretty confused after page 3 of these posts, I thought I had been speaking with non military personnel with information on the military, and now there's military recruiters posting in the thread, that's actually pretty cool. I didn't realise there where web-pages like this on the internet.

"Grade ten" wil vary by province. In Ontario it means 15 high school credits; I can't speak knowledgeably to other provinces. A GED serves equally well or better, but completion of grade ten is a 'hard floor' with no room for negotiation. As to competitiveness? Work, school, volunteer, sports, etc. There's no strict formula for it.

Brihard said:
"Grade ten" wil vary by province. In Ontario it means 15 high school credits; I can't speak knowledgeably to other provinces. A GED serves equally well or better, but completion of grade ten is a 'hard floor' with no room for negotiation. As to competitiveness? Work, school, volunteer, sports, etc. There's no strict formula for it.

Sports - volunteer work = not an issue at all for me I had been an amateur boxers since I was 19 coached it to younger kids for years, and I volunteer quite a bit of my time to parks Canada doing a report on trail conditions and clearing areas of the trail for free in a very remote hiking area on Vancouver island, I'm also in extremely good shape, so the psychical part of it is not an issue what so ever.

The education thing though, I always knew that would come back to haunt me one day ha ha.

mikewalker28 said:
P.S, is this a military website, or a civilian site ? I'm pretty confused after page 3 of these posts, I thought I had been speaking with non military personnel with information on the military, and now there's military recruiters posting in the thread, that's actually pretty cool. I didn't realise there where web-pages like this on the internet.
It's a military themed but privately-owned site. You will find the members range from every walk of civilian and military folk.

Back