• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Country For Old Men

muskrat89

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
My wife and I watched this last night and loved it - up until the last 15 minutes. What a dumb ending!

What did everyone else think?

muskrat89 said:
What a dumb ending!

The ending is what got it the Oscars.

To be honest I would have to say it is my top 25 movies of all time.

There is no ending damnit, it just cuts short with no explanation.

It was a really chilling movie. I loved it though. It took me a while to understand that our good friend Anton, the psychopathic hitman, was actually the main character. He was an antihero, but he was in fact the 'protagonist' whereas the movie was actually filmed from the narrative point of view of the sheriff, who was basically using the whole series of events to show how much the world had changed from when he was a young man. The ending, with Anton walking away, basically gives you the sense that this is the world we live in, and it is not going to change that easily.

[/artistic interpretation]

I thought it was a very clever movie. As usual it was quite disturbing since it is from the Coen Bros, but hey, it was really impressive at the same time.

muskrat89 said:
up until the last 15 minutes. What a dumb ending!

I'd made sure to read the book before I saw the film, so the ending didn't surprise me very much.

Couple of side-plots removed, but the movie was very true to the novel.

It was also about 20 minutes into the movie that I realized what was different. No soundtrack whatsoever.

It's going to be a quiet night at home for me tonight. 
I'm going to pick up a bottle of Scotch and a movie.

I've never seen this one.  Maybe I'll give it a chance tonight!

I liked it, the way they killed off one of the main characters and the ending was very "unhollywood".

I'm with those that liked it - and the ending.

Although I disagree about the protagonist.  It's the Sherrif's story.

I don't think there is a Protagonist in the movie really.

Here is a quote from Josh Brolin, the actor who portrayed Llewelyn Moss.

I know that some of these critics have seen the movie more than once, and from what I've heard, up to four times. ... It's not your typical structure of film. You rape the audience of a protagonist, and suddenly they go, `We don't like that.' But of course you don't like that because you're not supposed to like that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/23/the-men-of-no-country-fo_n_82946.html

Loved it.  Same with There Will Be Blood, both movies have unusual endings.  Great acting all around.

Pretty decent movie - wasn't a fan of the Sheriff's soliloquay at the end

Back