• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nike+

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else using Nike+ as a running app? I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I'm liking the data that it gives me. Then again, I'm a bit of a geek in that regard.

I think you'll find a better experience with either Runkeeper or Strava. Personally, I love the metrics Strava gives me, such as comparisons to others running the same "segments" as I am. You can even compete on a leaderboard for those specific segments or create your own, seeing how you did against yourself. It's free and has really caught on amongst cyclists, but the running community is just as vibrant.

I bought a Nike+ GPS sports watch using some Airmiles points I had saved up.  I've been fairly happy with it (7.5/10) especially since I hooked I bought a polar heart rate sensor that works with it.  The data it gives me is just what I need especially when paired with the website (I love the GUI myself). 

I have the APP on my phone for quick jogs when I'm away on business trips and it's not a bad app in my opinion - I like the auto-pause feature when I stop at a red light and the gps is fairly accurate.  All in all in pretty happy with having these tools at my disposal. 

The only issue I've had with the watch is it won't reliably sync to GPS unless you connect it to a computer for a couple seconds 24-48 hours prior to your run (it downloads the local GPS position to your phone to 'speed up' syncing) basically in my experience if you don't do that it won't sync at all.  I couldn't get it to work period when I was running in blue mountain for a couple hours. 

My favourite combo of tech right now is this :
Good shoes
Proper rubbing clothes
Nike watch + heart rate sensor + shoe sensor
Cellphone on armband with headphones
Zombie run app playing :)

The zombie run app is fantastic lol.  I enjoy the fun little stories, and it's neat how you 'pickup supplies' like batteries, antibiotics, and 9mm ammo... But what really made me want to hear more of the story was when I 'picked up' not one but two sports bras after only 15km (2 days) hahaha.  Interested to see where the story line goes from here

I appreciate the advice about other apps etc, but I'm solely interested in Nike+ at this time. I basically does everything I want except track cadence. I'm using the android phone edition of the app.

Don't be afraid to broaden your horizons! I'm surprised they havent integrated the cadence with the accelerometer that is built into the phone...probably due to android being fractured as it is in terms of standard features on a phone. That being said, most sports watches won't even capture the cadence without a foot pod (the Suunto Ambit2 being the exception as a result of a recent update).

Some comic relief :

http://jezebel.com/female-runner-who-uses-nike-to-draw-dicks-is-an-americ-1616462580

Back