• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NHL 2011/2012 - Now "The Lockout" Thread

What team are you cheering for this year?

• Toronto Maple Leafs

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Montreal Canadiens

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Ottawa Senators

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • Winnipeg Jets

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Calgary Flames

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Edmonton Oilers

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Vancouver Canucks

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • New Jersey Devils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Islanders

• New York Rangers

• Philadelphia Flyers

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

• Boston Bruins

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Buffalo Sabres

• Carolina Hurricanes

• Florida Panthers

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Washington Capitals

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• Detroit Red Wings

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Nashville Predators

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • St. Louis Blues

• Colorado Avalanche

• Minnesota Wild

• Anaheim Ducks

• Dallas Stars

• Los Angeles Kings

• Phoenix Coyotes

• San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
Looks like the zebras have been told to crack down on anything that could get out of hand. Watching the first of the Caps - Bruins game, and there was a minor scrum in the corner after a whistle. The officials immediately went to both benches and appeared to read the riot act to both coaches.

Canucks are gonna have to make it epic!  Having watched Chicago come to within 1 goal of a 3-0 comeback last season ought to serve as a reminder for them....

Two great games last night! Ottawa/Rangers had to be a bit of a heartbreaker for the Sens, I thought they deserved it but do not free that Lunqvist stood on his head near as much as the announcers thought. He was great, sure, but not epic. He's beatable if you can get past the throng of bodies first.

I only saw the last few minutes of the Bruins/Caps game so I can't comment much but it must be horrible to lose on a shot tipped by your own D. Lucic playing with his hate face on always warms my heart and Ovie seems to have calmed his goal celebrations a bit and looks focused.

I notice that the suspensions and fines are starting to be dished out to the Pens now, which is good. Don Cherry was defending Crosby's play, and I disagree, but perhaps Don is on to something in saying that this is just how he's going to play.

Thought the refs were a little inconsistent in the Ottawa game but not enough to decide the outcome.

Jim Seggie said:
If the Canucks bow out and I think they will......GO BOSTON!!!

Not even remotely a fan of the Canucks but I am very disappointed that they won't make it to the finals.

Just to see them lose to the Bruins again!  8)

2 Cdo said:
Not even remotely a fan of the Canucks but I am very disappointed that they won't make it to the finals.

Just to see them lose to the Bruins again!  8)

We'll take whatever support we can!  :D

Infanteer said:
We'll take whatever support we can!  :D

Do you honestly think it'll help? I take some joy in seeing both Vancouver and Pittsburgh down 3-0 when the TSN "experts" predicted a Vancouver Pittsburgh final! Proof that TSN's "experts" don't know much about playoff hockey. 8)

Nobody predicted the baseball scores of the Flyers/Pens series. When your team is scoring 4-5 goals a game, they shouldn't be down 3 games.

Vancouver losing to LA was called by a lot of sports reporters, just no one expected it to be this close to a sweep. Quick is hot in goal, and Vancouver plays in a very weak division giving them an easy shot at the conference lead every year until Calgary and Edmonton step it up.

PuckChaser said:
Vancouver plays in a very weak division giving them an easy shot at the conference lead every year until Calgary and Edmonton step it up.

Which makes me wonder how that will bode for the Jets if they're moved to the Northwest - although we won't have to worry about that for at least another year. 

Either way it's quite a change from the Smythe days of the 80s, when that whole division was fairly strong. 

2 Cdo said:
I take some joy in seeing both Vancouver and Pittsburgh down 3-0 when the TSN "experts" predicted a Vancouver Pittsburgh final! Proof that TSN's "experts" don't know much about playoff hockey. 8)

+1  ;D

Shared with the usual caveats:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/46782-NHL-being-dragged-back-into-the-dark-ages.html#disqus_thread

I am done with the Hockey News just as soon as my subscription expires. I am sick and tired of one sided reporting - and by that I mean on both sides of the debate. Unfortunately THN seems to only spout off about one side.

I found it hilarious, a few months ago, when, opposite to Ken Campbell's usual whining diatribe about the need for no fighting in the game, there was an advert for the movie "Goon" Irony at its best.

bridges said:
Which makes me wonder how that will bode for the Jets if they're moved to the Northwest - although we won't have to worry about that for at least another year. 

The Jets played very well at home this year, less so on the road. IMO they need another centre, first/second line and a good solid stay at home defenceman. Pavelec was great in net for the most part, with Mason as a capable back up.
The arena (MTS Centre) is judged to be one of the loudest buildings in the NHL. The crowd can be intimidating and can give the team a boost.

OK enough - how about them Coyotes?

Go Wings!!

Go Sens! Ok Alfie!!  I actually wouldn't mind the Sens winning one simply because I like Alfie and would to see him get it before he retires.

Yep, the Jets did well and were over .500, but their road game needs work. 

Seems like NYR could be in the final four, but I wouldn't place bets as to who will take the cup this year.  Before last weekend, I would have said Pittsburgh could do it.   

Back