• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NHL 2011/2012 - Now "The Lockout" Thread

What team are you cheering for this year?

• Toronto Maple Leafs

Votes: 37 27.6%
  • Montreal Canadiens

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Ottawa Senators

Votes: 11 8.2%
  • Winnipeg Jets

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Calgary Flames

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Edmonton Oilers

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Vancouver Canucks

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • New Jersey Devils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New York Islanders

• New York Rangers

• Philadelphia Flyers

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pittsburgh Penguins

• Boston Bruins

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Buffalo Sabres

• Carolina Hurricanes

• Florida Panthers

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Washington Capitals

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• Detroit Red Wings

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Nashville Predators

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • St. Louis Blues

• Colorado Avalanche

• Minnesota Wild

• Anaheim Ducks

• Dallas Stars

• Los Angeles Kings

• Phoenix Coyotes

• San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
With subtle words of encouragement (a.k.a. GTF On With It) to the warring parties, the Great One expresses a hunch that we'll be back on before the new year.  All right, then:  we should be ok! 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/10/01/sp-nhl-labour-talks-wayne-gretzky-optimistic.html

Screw the NHL and it's two groups of millionaire arguing over who's screwing who.  The only one getting screwed is the fans.  This is quite literally "strike three",  go Oil Kings.

I have a great idea...............how about both sides settle for less of the percentage and then lower ticket prices.....

Kat Stevens said:
Screw the NHL and it's two groups of millionaire arguing over who's screwing who.  The only one getting screwed is the fans.  This is quite literally "strike three",  go Oil Kings.

I was of that mind too, for a while, but then thought - if a principle is worth sticking your ground for, even when there's no money involved, then maybe it's worth it when there's LOTS of money too.  Maybe one or both sides have a valid principle despite all their money.  After all, if the rich abandoned their principles, where would we be?  ;)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I have a great idea...............how about both sides settle for less of the percentage and then lower ticket prices.....

:nod:  Either there's a solution possible, or there isn't.  If there is a solution - then, given that the small businesses and the fans are the ones suffering the most, proportionately, the parties should rededicate themselves to arriving at the solution ASAP.  And yes, each will have to give up something.  We've paid enough.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

Stop trying to apply logic to sports labour disputes. It will only make your head explode. ;D

I gotta side with the players on this one. The owners put forth and signed the contracts they did, with every intention of circumventing the salary cap / CBA, and now it comes back to bite them in the butt. And they expect the players to correct their mistake by taking a salary cut, either through change in percentage of revenue, how revenue is calculated, or increasing the escrow percentage held back until the end of the season.

Imagine if your employer came to you and said we had a great 7 years and doubled our profits, but because we gave everyone big raises, we now find that we're not getting as much as we were hoping, so we want to cut your pay. What would your aster be? And to put it into perspective, this comes after your boss did the same thing 7 years ago.

Kat Stevens said:

You and I have our differences.... but I must agree to this one. 100%

Actually, the only clowns I'm pissed off at, are the big name stars who sign to teams oversea's so that some player who just barely makes enough to feed his family is now out of a job............

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Actually, the only clowns I'm pissed off at, are the big name stars who sign to teams oversea's so that some player who just barely makes enough to feed his family is now out of a job............
+1 to that.
Everything that is going on with the NHL lockout is pure and complete foolishness.  Both sides are being greedy about it all.  It's basically coming down to who can get their hand in the cookie jar the fastest.

I think of it as the NHL's way of giving the CFL a bit of long overdue appreciation on the airwaves  :p

Go Stampeders Go!

Bruce Monkhouse said:

If you're right about the salaries of the displaced players, then agreed 100%. 

In the meantime - playoff baseball is about to start in MLB.  :nod:

Back