• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Zealand postal service to 3 days a week

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
If you think about it, that would work here too.......

New Zealand postal service to cut up to 2,000 jobs as mail deliveries dwindle to 3 days a week
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/10/31/new-zealand-postal-service-to-cut-up-to-2000-jobs-as-mail-deliveries-dwindle-to/
Published October 31, 2013 Associated Press

WELLINGTON, New Zealand –  New Zealand's postal service says it plans to cut up to 2,000 jobs as it transitions to delivering the mail just three days a week to most customers.

The job cuts amount to about one-fifth of the service's workforce and will be implemented over three years.

New Zealand Post made the announcement Friday after the government last week agreed to allow the service to reduce its six-day delivery service from 2015 in urban areas.

Rural residents, who make up about 12 percent of customers, will get their mail delivered five days a week.

The service says mail volume is dropping at more than 7 percent each year. The rate is accelerating as customers increasingly turn to the Internet to communicate and pay their bills.
end

As witnessed here, the cut back in service will eventually lead to bankruptcy.  Canada Post is a scrambling to increase revenues.  Their business plans are all over the charts, and we are witnessing its demise.  Its service is decreasing at an increasing rate.  It is racing to extinction. 

It takes longer for Canada Post to deliver the mail from one location in Canada to another location in Canada than it does for a piece of mail to be delivered from outside Canada to a Canadian address.  Oromocto, NB. is at most 20 km from Fredericton, yet it takes seven days for a letter to travel from mailbox to destination.  It takes only three days for a letter to be mailed in Germany to be delivered to an address in Oromocto.  Then Canada Post wonders why its cuts in service and its creation of centralized distribution/sorting centers are not leading to increased profits and efficiency. 

These types of decisions are not encouraging current patrons of the services to continue to use them.  For the sake of saving five cents today, it is costing these companies a dollar tomorrow.

Considering how little actual real mail I get at the box in an average week, I don't see why they don't do this here in urban areas.  (Rural may be different, I don't know, I live in a city)
We usually only pick the mail up out of the box on Fridays, then bring it back to the house and dump at least 90% of it into the recycling bin.  Just like spam.
That 90% into the bin is probably the only business that is keeping Canada Post alive, since so much of their previous volume has gone electronic now.

I live in a rural area, and either receive or send a piece of real mail 3-4 days/week, on average.  Birthday cards, letters, miscellaneous administrative stuff, magazine subscriptions, etc.  Some of it is theoretically replacable by e-mail, but my family, friends & I enjoy sending & receiving cards in the mail.  As for the magazines, I spend all day at work looking at a computer screen - NO desire to do it on my down time too. 

I could live with 3 days/week service - but the service is so slow and unpredictable as it is, within Canada, that between slower service and excessive small parcel rates, I fear they may reach a tipping point in terms of people not wanting to bother with Canada Post anymore. 

Back