• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Threshold "Fitness Testing" at BMQ/BMOQ

I guess my only question is this. Yes, I know Basic Training is going to be hell, as I am going to be arriving in poor shape. The only thing I would like someone with experience to answer, would be is it still possible? Has anyone ever seen, or been, the fat kid to arrive at BMQ, work his/her @$$ off and succeed? I see on every single post on here, that if your in poor physical condition, BMQ will be hell. I don't give a flying hell! All I need to know is if it is still possible! If there is even a 1% chance of success, I would like to know! If your in bad shape, but the instructors see that you are trying your hardest, will they send you home for good? Recourse you? Send you to Warrior Prep? Or will they just give you a good old fashion chance, and stay on your team until you succeed?

DAHOK987 said:
I guess my only question is this. Yes, I know Basic Training is going to be hell, as I am going to be arriving in poor shape. The only thing I would like someone with experience to answer, would be is it still possible? Has anyone ever seen, or been, the fat kid to arrive at BMQ, work his/her @$$ off and succeed? I see on every single post on here, that if your in poor physical condition, BMQ will be hell. I don't give a flying hell! All I need to know is if it is still possible! If there is even a 1% chance of success, I would like to know! If your in bad shape, but the instructors see that you are trying your hardest, will they send you home for good? Recourse you? Send you to Warrior Prep? Or will they just give you a good old fashion chance, and stay on your team until you succeed?

If you fail the PT test you will be put in Warrior Platoon (or RFT or whatever it's called) until you can meet the standard and if you can't pass the threshold fitness test you will be released as per what DAA posted. You should have been working on PT from the moment you decided to apply to the CF. There is no excuse for showing up to BMQ in poor physical condition, especially considering your application process took a year. The only person that can determine if you succeed is you.

Yes I have seen overwieght and out of shape people pass bmq, bmq-l and dp1. (Reserve) Did they have a hard time... Yes, it all depends how badly you want it. You still have 2.5 weeks.

Running plan
http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/couch-to-5k.jpg

Pushups.
http://hundredpushups.com

Even though you won't be able to finish these program do it now. For running I'd do 3 days on and 1 off and pushups I'd do every other day based on the programs.

I've used both of these when I was out of shape and they helped a lot.

Edit: why didn't you post this on march 10th? Or earlier??  :facepalm:
Ohwell..

AgentSmith said:
If you fail the PT test you will be put in Warrior Platoon (or RFT or whatever it's called) until you can meet the standard and if you can't pass the threshold fitness test you will be released as per what DAA posted. You should have been working on PT from the moment you decided to apply to the CF. There is no excuse for showing up to BMQ in poor physical condition, especially considering your application process took a year. The only person that can determine if you succeed is you.

I had gotten myself into reasonably shape and then due to financial/family problems, I had to take a job that had be sitting at a desk half the say and sleeping the other, needless to say, I gained all the weight I had lost the previous summer back on. I was ready for BMQ, then life screwed it all up. So it would be appreciated if assumptions were not made before knowing the whole story, thanks.

Thanks to the comment below this one, knowing it is possible, I'll make it happen.

There's always time to work out, if only within the confines of your home. 20-30 mins of exercise a day is not a lot and it can help maintain your fitness levels to an acceptable standard, at least for pushups and running. Don't make excuses saying that "life" made you fat and out of shape at BMQ or your instructors will laugh in your face. Own up to your mistakes and do your best to correct them.

DAHOK987 said:
I had gotten myself into reasonably shape and then due to financial/family problems, I had to take a job that had be sitting at a desk half the say and sleeping the other, needless to say, I gained all the weight I had lost the previous summer back on. I was ready for BMQ, then life screwed it all up. So it would be appreciated if assumptions were not made before knowing the whole story, thanks.

Thanks to the comment below this one, knowing it is possible, I'll make it happen.

Regardless of why, being in poor shape will lessen you chances of passing BMQ.  Simple fact. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Regardless of why, being in poor shape will lessen you chances of passing BMQ.  Simple fact.

Again, I don't care about the odds, as long as their a chance, I'll make it.

DAHOK987 said:
Again, I don't care about the odds, as long as their a chance, I'll make it.

Odds? Irrelevant.

Depending on how your RC does things, you may have been given a document to read over along with your SOUs (Statements of Understanding) explaining that if/when an applicant gets to basic, during the first week they must do the physical and what it consists of. If you can't pass it, you're sent to what's commonly referred to as 'Warrior Platoon'. (I just read some of your earlier posts, and see you're aware of this element, so that's good.) You then have a certain amount of time (with the help of staff) to get up to standard in order to pass. If you can't after that certain amount of time, then you are released. "Odds" don't factor into anything. If your level of fitness is so poor that even after staff works with you to increase it, you still aren't able to meet standard, then that's it. No one here knows the shape you are in but you. You can either do it now or can't. If you end up in WP, at the end of that, you'll either be able to pass the physical or you won't. There's no "odds."

I am fairly certain I can pass the fitness tests. Sandbag drag, Shuttle Run, and 20 meter sprints right? I think I am fine in that catagory. Its the 2-5k runs that I am concerned about. I should have probably just mentioned that at the start instead of potentially confusing the heck out of people. My main question was, if I pass the fitness tests, but continue having problems during the runs, will I be recoursed? Or will they send me to Warrior? That was the number one question I have. I guess that is why I was mentioning odds, sorry I was not more clear.

DAHOK987 said:
I am fairly certain I can pass the fitness tests. Sandbag drag, Shuttle Run, and 20 meter sprints right? I think I am fine in that catagory. Its the 2-5k runs that I am concerned about. I should have probably just mentioned that at the start instead of potentially confusing the heck out of people. My main question was, if I pass the fitness tests, but continue having problems during the runs, will I be recoursed? Or will they send me to Warrior? That was the number one question I have. I guess that is why I was mentioning odds, sorry I was not more clear.

I never thought about that. Good question.
Although i'll be ok for the early runs/shuttle now. (6minute kilometer)

DAHOK987 said:

You're confident about the shuttle run, but you're concerned about a 2 km run?  The shuttle run starts at 8.5 km/h, and goes up by .5 km/h every minute.  I know nothing about your age/sex/ fitness levels, but if you're a male under 35 years of age, the shuttle run minimum standard covers a distance of 975 m in 6 minutes.  That's an average pace near 5km in a half hour, but it's actually harder - you're starting and stopping, and your speed is always increasing.  Just trying to give you perspective on that one.

As for your attitude of "if it's possible, I'll do it", it may not be up to you.  Your mind may say that, but your body might not let you, and there isn't much you can do about that.  Keep your positive attitude, but make sure you're staying realistic!

Congratulations on getting accepted into the Forces, start running now!  By my calendar you have 18 days before you get there, don't waste them.  Anything you do now, before you hit the stresses of recruit life, will do nothing but help.  Starting earlier would have been better, but don't make excuses for yourself.  Fitness is a lifestyle, and if you're going to be successful in the CAF you'll need to change your ways on your own.  The military will not hold your hand on this one.  Get out there and hit the pavement, and good luck!

Griffon said:
You're confident about the shuttle run, but you're concerned about a 2 km run?  The shuttle run starts at 8.5 km/h, and goes up by .5 km/h every minute.  I know nothing about your age/sex/ fitness levels, but if you're a male under 35 years of age, the shuttle run minimum standard covers a distance of 975 m in 6 minutes.  That's an average pace near 5km in a half hour, but it's actually harder - you're starting and stopping, and your speed is always increasing.  Just trying to give you perspective on that one.

It is more the distance that will get me, not so much the speed. I can run pretty fast when the time allows, and the last time I did a shuttle run (beep test) I was twice as successful at the time before, and I have increased my fitness level twice again since then. Thats why I am not quite as worried. It won't be easy for sure, but I think I can do it.

Thanks for the information and advice, I will certainly put it to good use.

BeyondTheNow said:
The shuttle run is not used anymore.

Really? Does it say that on a website somewhere? Not that I dont wanna believe you, but seeing it on a Military website would be good. Any links?

It is mind boggling to me that even after you knew you were accepted you still haven't done anything to improve your fitness level. It has been a while since you knew you were accepted ( congrats by the way) and still to this day it seems you haven't done anything at all. Ive seen quite a few of your post none of them actually asking advice on how to train but all about what happens if you fail the PT test, and warrior platoon question. Come on man get yourself together and start running theres nothing hard or difficult about that put on your shoes and go for a run 30 min don't stop, take a day of rest then repeat. Don't strive for the minimum to begin with, and RUN use the time you have left to at least do something, I swear if you run 7-8 times before leaving for basic you will have a better cardio than if you do nothing.

Sorry for the mistake English isn't my primary language, I wish you the best for your basic.  :salute:

Jayjaycf said:
It is mind boggling to me that even after you knew you were accepted you still haven't done anything to improve your fitness level. It has been a while since you knew you were accepted ( congrats by the way) and still to this day it seems you haven't done anything at all. Ive seen quite a few of your post none of them actually asking advice on how to train but all about what happens if you fail the PT test, and warrior platoon question. Come on man get yourself together and start running theres nothing hard or difficult about that put on your shoes and go for a run 30 min don't stop, take a day of rest then repeat. Don't strive for the minimum to begin with, and RUN use the time you have left to at least do something, I swear if you run 7-8 times before leaving for basic you will have a better cardio than if you do nothing.

Sorry for the mistake English isn't my primary language, I wish you the best for your basic.  :salute:

I walk 6k a day, 3k with 5 pound weights in hand, and the other 3k, I throw jogging in as much as I can. I have done training, not that I haven't, I just haven't outright went out for a run because I know I'll go 200 feet and run out of breath. My first few questions was how to increase lung capacity, thats my main worry.

Thank you for the luck, it is appreciated. Just figured I would point out to everyone that I haven't been doing nothing, if that was the general consensus. I won't say I am doing all the right things, but I havent been doing nothing

Is it just me or is the new fitness test easier then the old one?

Years ago, I was worried about my fitness, so I set a new rule: Whenever I watched TV, I had to do 25 situps and 25 pushups during each commercial break.

It was a success: I never watch TV anymore.

Back